The New Mutants Skepticism Thread

Discussion in 'The New Mutants' started by GuestStar2004, Jul 1, 2017.

1. YoungBlood Registered

And Doctor Strange still made a lot of money.

#26 YoungBlood, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. Smilodon Registered

Yeah, if anything the reactions to this have received less flack, because they're less overt than Ancient One/Strange levels of race swapping. Blu is fine (people jump the gun on her, per typical internet outrage), Zaga is at least Brazilian, Rosario was at least cast before scheduling conflicts. Not even close to what Derrickson and co had to deal with, and Boone and the actors will more or less be fine, particularly if the movie is great. But Ofc around here, people let the reactions of certain corners of the internet affect their perception of these productions.

3. marvelrobbins Registered

oh really most mcu films changes are quickly forgotten.ok maybe more than usual complain about spider-man homecoming but never to extent of any fox films.both tv and film versions of flash changes iris west to black and little outcry.believe me many of those who like me don't like tv version of iris is more about how they write her than it is her being black when in comics she was white.

rosario dawson was perfect for ceilia but change isn't going to affect my intrest in film.

4. Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

So Fox is just being sneakier with this movie? lol

5. marvelrobbins Registered

homecoming radicaly changed the spider-man supporting cast characters into characters that are in name only.same thing fox has been accursed of.

6. Smilodon Registered

And? If you make good films people accept those changes. A lot of people like Flash too. Fox isn't unfairly misaligned. The good stuff gets praised and the bad stuff gets critiqued. Anyhing else is usually just ridiculous whining and doesn't hold any water. No dogshed around here.

7. Smilodon Registered

They put up the facade of trying. But also it's a X-Men film. There's less attention in general on it compared to an MCU film.

8. YoungBlood Registered

They might go the Logan route with the marketing, minus the Johnny Cash songs.

9. Smilodon Registered

So we better hope this movie is really freakin' good and carries on some goodwill from Logan. The marketing campaign better be on the money, the poster should be done by Sienkiewicz, and the first trailer needs to be a homerun.

10. def28 Registered

Exactly :up::up:

#35 def28, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  11. GuestStar2004 Registered

Its a shame it has to get any flack at all tbh.

Some things just seem so minor and yet get made into this huge deal.

12. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

This isn't going to be directed by Kinberg and the script isn't written by Kinberg. I don't see why a skeptism thread is needed. Unless someone thinks its going to be as bad as Dark Phoenix.

13. Darepool Registered

Fair is fair I guess, there have been films which ended up great (critically and fan reaction) that had these skeptic threads...hmmmmm, so this need one too.

14. fallenAngel Registered

I think criticism (or at least skepticism) over some of the cast is fair considering that the comic was obviously an attempt to make the Marvel universe more diverse.

A significant portion of the movie going public wants adequate representation, so much that they've made a lot of white comic characters black to try and even it out. So when the fricken source material champions diversity, it's strange to sort of wave your hand like it shouldn't matter.

I personally would rather see a short, scrappy dark skinned Roberto, but I'm also hoping as many others here are, that this doesn't bury the movie.

A good movie can survive controversy, and often does, so we'll see. Still optimistic.

I am kind of sad Karma isn't in this though.

15. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Dofp didn't have an skepticism thread.

16. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

The hype didn't do skeptic threads. As another user noted, it's a more recent thing.

17. Frankeh Registered

It started with BvS I think.

18. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Is there a skepticism thread for Avengers 3, Ant Man 2, Doctor Strange, Aquaman, Venom, Guardians Vol Two, Deadpool 2, Captain America III, X-Men Apocalypse, Black Panther and Captain Marvel?

19. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Yeah there is. And Venom's own thread is a skepticism thread.

Apocalypse didn't have one because the last two movies did well even when their promo material was mocked.

New Mutants has one to keep the race & skin color debates out of the general thread.

20. Darepool Registered

If Venom gets a section it will likely be 90% skepticism at this point. A thread would be redundant.

21. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

What about the other films that I mentioned?

22. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Do you wanna make them? :cwink:

23. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

No. Why would I?

24. henzINNIT Registered

I was pretty positive about this for a while. Still am for the most part, but the casting left me feeling a little concerned. Can't shake a feeling of "that'll do", when I was hoping everyone would be perfect and exciting. The long rumoured names were great so it was fantastic to see them confirmed. The kid from Stranger Things sucks, and losing Rosario Dawson stung badly.

The pitch sounds interesting enough. I'm a little disappointed in the direction taken. I would have liked to see a bunch of kids at school getting into an adventure.

25. Cagebirdsing Registered

The casting is interesting because we all know that Sunspot,Dani,Cecilia are going to be playing fourth,fifth,sixth fiddle to the rest of the team. Demon bear saga is Dani storyline but I doubt Blu will have a big role.

Been a lurker on this forum decided to join because I like the New Mutants but the casting so far:huh: