The Nicolas Cage discussion thread

if there's no "star" then the movie may not get huge publicity.. I guess his fear is that he will be lost in all the flame-skull effects..

All I can say with this news is that if Nic doesn't want the role, I'll gladly take it off his hands. Hehe.

I don't think we really have to worry about things right now though. This is just a development and a normal process. Even if Cage does walk out, the movie will happen. Too much has been invested now.

i just hope that if Cage does leave that the quality of the production will remain the same. that if he goes there wont be a "selling point" for the film anymore ..ie a major star. they could possibly ditch the blockbuster idea and instead make a cheap b movie w/ sub par effects . Also i have a bad feeling that if he goes there wont be anyone associated w/ the project who will have enough "muscle" to prevent the studio heads from mucking around w/ the movie. im always afraid of that happening...
MSJ doesnt have enough clout yet in hollywood...to Sony/Columbia hes just a hired hand. Cage on the other hand appears to have some pull w/ Sony....im sure they would want to keep the guy happy so he will continue starring in their films. thats another thing about Cage being a fan of the comic...he will want it to be as close to the story as possible.
i keep having these nightmares that if Cage goes Sony will want to the easy/cheap route and just get an unknown. possibly even make the movie specifically for teens. maybe include a hip hop soundtrack and have Ghostie spout goofy one-liners to the villains....Brrrrr....get the chills just thinkin about that...

BIGGUN said:
i just hope that if Cage does leave that the quality of the production will remain the same. that if he goes there wont be a "selling point" for the film anymore ..ie a major star. they could possibly ditch the blockbuster idea and instead make a cheap b movie w/ sub par effects . Also i have a bad feeling that if he goes there wont be anyone associated w/ the project who will have enough "muscle" to prevent the studio heads from mucking around w/ the movie. im always afraid of that happening...
MSJ doesnt have enough clout yet in hollywood...to Sony/Columbia hes just a hired hand. Cage on the other hand appears to have some pull w/ Sony....im sure they would want to keep the guy happy so he will continue starring in their films. thats another thing about Cage being a fan of the comic...he will want it to be as close to the story as possible.
i keep having these nightmares that if Cage goes Sony will want to the easy/cheap route and just get an unknown. possibly even make the movie specifically for teens. maybe include a hip hop soundtrack and have Ghostie spout goofy one-liners to the villains....Brrrrr....get the chills just thinkin about that...
I agree,the thought of A McG type ghost Rider is terrible:(

I think the main feeling of people who wanna see this movie feel that they don't mind if Cage plays Blaze but also don't really mind if he leaves the role. With that said I think that if Cage leaves that there is definitely another actor out there that could play the role just as good or even better IMO.

It was only until MSJ said what he said in his Q&A that I gave Nic a chance. I always thought it was miscast... but I was always wanting Dan to be the lead. Ketch that is. Nic would be a great Blaze, no doubt.

I just hope that whoever takes it over is a fan like Cage.

BIGGUN said:

BG man, you gotta stop puttin' images like that in my head. I picutre a movie like Garfield where everything is real, except the lead character which is so obviously fake we need to slap ourselves silly to suspend the disbelief. They would have GR looking like the version from the Hammercrap series. Kiddified or something. Whatever that means....

Nic Cage has been attached so long to GR that I can't see anyone BUT him playing.

Rob_Merritt said:
Nic Cage has been attached so long to GR that I can't see anyone BUT him playing.

His name was also attached to Superman for a while and look how that turned out.

If Collin Farell comes to his senses and doesn't do the proposed 2006 Miami Vice movie, he could make a good Blaze.

I really hope Cage signs on. He seems to have a genuine love for the character and it will certainly help it at the box-office.

The Ghost Rider crew is already is Melbourne, Australia. The script is ready, the sets are being constructed (i think), auditions taking place, studios and locations have been booked. Shooting is expected to start January. So if Cage doesn't sign....

Shooting dates: http://www.film.vic.gov.au/news/shooting.shtml
Crew seems to be enjoying themselves in OZ: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11245008^28957,00.html
Location plans: http://www.abc.net.au/westernplains/news/200411/s1235606.htm

Retroman said:
I really hope Cage signs on. He seems to have a genuine love for the character and it will certainly help it at the box-office.

QUOTE]

agreed...realistically i dont see them just outright cancelling the production if Cage doesnt sign on. however i do see a delay in trying to find a replacement....but in some cases a delay could kill a film.
it would be easier and cheaper to get a no-name actor for Blaze...but it would affect how they would market the film and maybe even the FX. getting someone as big as Cage would be preferable but its a big gamble to get the right person who has enough clout in hollywood and if their schedule is free from feb-june. and thats a BIG if....

im hoping that the reason for the continuing talks is just over normal things...like maybe some lines in the script or how much $$ Cage will get.

BIGGUN said:
Retroman said:

QUOTE]

agreed...realistically i dont see them just outright cancelling the production if Cage doesnt sign on. however i do see a delay in trying to find a replacement....but in some cases a delay could kill a film.
it would be easier and cheaper to get a no-name actor for Blaze...but it would affect how they would market the film and maybe even the FX. getting someone as big as Cage would be preferable but its a big gamble to get the right person who has enough clout in hollywood and if their schedule is free from feb-june. and thats a BIG if....

im hoping that the reason for the continuing talks is just over normal things...like maybe some lines in the script or how much $$ Cage will get.

I doubt Cage is gonna throw out this film. MSJ has dropped hints of Cage and him talking about things for movie. MSJ wants Cage for Blaze and if Cage is as big as a fan as he says he is then he is gonna play Blaze. So basically your looking at a 90% chance of Cage taking the role.

RedIsNotBlue said:
So basically your looking at a 90% chance of Cage taking the role.

im just worried about that pesky 10% ...heh

BIGGUN said:
im just worried about that pesky 10% ...heh

Yeah I know...there is always the chance that Cage could get the "I'm too big" attitude and ask for a ridiculous sum of money or something but I doubt that would happen.

I highly doubt it would be over money that Cage would leave the project. If anything, it would be creative differences. He doesn't want to see his favorite character taken lightly.

Hey guys, new to the boards, but have been reading for some time. I was really concerned with the news about Nic Cage not having signed yet. I have been waiting for this movie along with the new Superman forever, and both seemed so close to happening. My biggest worry is the studio heads would significantly delay the movie without Cage in the lead. I know the whole crew is already down under and so much has been done, but look at all they spent on the numerous Superman misfires.
Hey BIGGUN, didn't you get contacted by MSJ once or do I have that confused? If so, is there any way for us to find any information regarding this from him? I know he has recently posted that huge update where everything sounded great and he was really excited about Nic Cage in the role.

darthhalen said:
Hey BIGGUN, didn't you get contacted by MSJ once or do I have that confused? If so, is there any way for us to find any information regarding this from him? I know he has recently posted that huge update where everything sounded great and he was really excited about Nic Cage in the role.

Welcome Darthhalen...and yes MSJ did contact me a while back. even told me who the villains were weeks before it was announced officially....gotta love that :)
i was thinking of PMing him but i have a good feeling that he wont be able to say anything on it right now. the best answer we might get is "we are still talking". contract negotiations are tricky...if something gets leaked (like payment or merchandise options) the whole deal can get blown. usually they try to keep that kind of stuff hush hush. its annoying as hell to us cuz we want to know how the talks are going...i think most of us are thinking of finding out where Cage is, grabbing him by the shirt collar and hysterically yelling "What the Hell are you waiting for FOOL?!!! Sign that damn contract!! Sign it!! Sign it now!!!!!" heh :D
but anyways...ill see what i can do. probably wouldnt hurt

Good luck with trying to get any info out of MSJ BIGGUN. Hope he says SOMETHING.
You know, I could really see some other actor in the role, such as Matthew M., but we're so close I don't want to see this movie delayed any further, or God forbid SCRAPPED! Cage must sign now DAMMIT!

Welcome to the hype. Glad to see some more Ghost Rider fans hangin' out. Drop by often, now you hear?

If this movie gets delayed any more, I'm going to lock myself in a rubber room. I'll have too.

MSJ, if you're around, readin' this stuff. Slap that boy around a little, get him to sign.

I just saw that Cage has just signed on for another movie called Next. Do you think this is a sign that he does not that anxious to sign on to Ghost Rider? Or not? State you thoughts in here.

hunter rider said:
Nope.If you read the same article i read you'll see that Next film's sometime summer 2005 and GR films Jan 2005 so he can do both.:)

Here's where i read it:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16363

Oh ok I didn't read that article. But still...if he signed on for the film that starts filiming at a later date and he still is tossing around the idea of doing Ghost Rider, don't you think that is kinda "you don't know what to think"?

RedIsNotBlue said:
Oh ok I didn't read that article. But still...if he signed on for the film that starts filiming at a later date and he still is tossing around the idea of doing Ghost Rider, don't you think that is kinda "you don't know what to think"?
A lot of actors have a number of films lined up at once but i do agree that Cage should stop messing us about and sign,hopefully Empires article is right b/c they seem to think he will sign as they actually interviewed him a couple of months back and he seemed ready. otherwise this project will return to development hell:mad:

See i thought Cage had already signed GR, but i must've been wrong. Its just the idea i was getting with things starting to move forward on production.

It is just confusing maybe im just overthinking it. But to me if Cage is so excited about it he would have signed on by now. Come on Cage filming starts January hurry up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"