The Nicolas Cage discussion thread

M

marel comics

i have no problems with nic cage as an actor, but i do not think he should play johny blaze in a ghost rider movie, if anyone disagree say why, and if you agree say who should be johny blaze?

I think that Cage is one of the best actors around, one of my favorites...but i also agree that he is not a good choise to play Johnny Blaze, but i do know that he will make a great job at it (as he would do as Superman, even if he was a very bad choise).

I don´t know who i would cast, but on the looks alone, i think that Paul Walker would be very good (but he is not a very good actor).

cage has been begging for a comic role for years, if it's anything it should be ghost rider because cage has a good intesity he could bring in.

Paul Walker does in NO way remind me of Blaze. Not his looks, his attitude or his voice. Nothing.

I'm sure this isn't going to be the last thread to be created on this issue but, we should really try to keep the cage topic as one thread. We need not discuss this over and over again every time one of them disappears to the second page.

Please! GR was a role that Keifer Sutherland was made to play! But I got to give it up to Nic Cage. As bad as he wanted to play a superhero, I can see him coming back for a sequel in a heartbeat. I would cast him.

when u think about how long this film was in development and how long Cage stuck with it..he should play GR, he earned

most actors would abandon a project after waiting so long for it to even enter production

Well, some of the delay in getting this off the ground was Cage's commitments. It's not that he stuck around for the film. The film stuck around for him.

Because he's a good actor, thats why

Yes, that and he loves the character very much.

I haven't read the first Ghost Rider except for the origin story, but I could easily see Cage as Dan Ketch -era Blaze. Just give him a Con Air -style hair in a ponytail and shades.

Cage as Dan Ketch? I can't see that at all...

From LATINOREVIEW.COM:

Nic Cage on Ghost Rider and Skeletor

At a press conference for his latest film, National Treasure, Nicolas Cage revealed that his playing Ghost Rider is still not set in stone, despite being attached to the project for several years. “I’m very curious about that,” Cage said. “However, I ‘m still in talks about that particular movie. It’s not a definite at this point.”

What’s the hold up? “It’s really just a matter of the vision of the movie and how it will be portrayed. It’s talks about script and things like that. It’s true that I was involved with Ghost Rider over three years ago and was trying to develop it with another filmmaker. These things are very sensitive. It’s a bullseye and you really have to hit it. Otherwise it may not work. So it’s best for everyone to be cautious and make sure it’s got the right auspices.”

Cage is so invested in the comic book world because of the impact they had on his childhood. “Comic books for me as a young man were one of the ways I learned how to read. There were other ways too, but I was always fascinated by the mythology of them. Because I used to read Greek myths, so I discovered a kind of kindred spirit in the mind of Stan Lee and also DC Comics. And I always felt they were successful in film as well even before they became successful, and I knew the big three would be Batman and Superman and Spiderman. I guess the reason I responded to them was that they had the fantasy of the child’s mind, and they’re a wonderful alternative world to sort of lose yourself in.”

Should Ghost Rider fall through, Cage will give up on playing a superhero. “I think if this doesn’t work, that’s pretty much it. I’ve never made a comic book film and I’ll just sort of enjoy my nostalgic memories as a boy. I don’t read them any more. It’s something that really came from the past.”

Back when Cage was attached to Superman with Tim Burton, he got as close as trying on the costume. “I did do that. I went pretty far down the road with Tim Burton on that. And at the time, Warner Brothers just wasn’t ready to pull the trigger so to speak on the script because it was getting incredibly expensive and that was at a period in their career, Warner Brothers, where they were being cautious with the money.”

He was also offered a role in Spider-Man. “They talked to me about playing the Green Goblin, but it was at the same time I was offered Adaptation. And I was wanting to play twins in a movie, so that’s why I opted for Adaptation. Also, I like Spike Jonze’s work quite a bit. I also like Sam Raimi very much as well. But it just seemed like Adaptation would give me more of an opportunity to learn something.”

Finally, Cage will not be playing Skeletor in John Woo’s recently announced He-Man project. “No, I don't know anything about that.” He did, however, leave the door open for another project with Woo. “I think John Woo’s a terrific filmmaker and I would love to work with John again. I think we have a good rapport together.”

Link: http://www.latinoreview.com/interviews/cageongr-skel.html

I do hope that Cage doesn´t do it.
Trust me when i say that i would not be very upset if he does make it, because i think that Cage is one of the finest actors around.
But, like i said in other threads, he just doesn´t strike me as Johnny Blaze

Personally i don't like the sound of that interview,i really liked Cage as Blaze and felt that his love of the character would be a good thing for the movie.

im not suprised that he hasnt signed yet....the producers only said they confirmed that they wanted Cage in the film only couldnt make any official announcements yet. there have been lots of films where the actor hasnt signed up until just a few days before shooting due to contract negotiations.
at least from the sound of that interview they were still in negotiations over the script/contract.
im hoping they are still talking...if they arent then its bad news.
signing a major star for a summer blockbuster film can be a tricky thing. the actor will probably will want to change some things and will more than likely haggle over how much he is paid, share of the profits from the film, merchandise, ect.
Cage would certainly be a big asset to this movie...i hope everything works out as there is less than 3 months to go before shooting starts. at least from the look of things it appears they are certain they will start shooting in Jan...since they already plopped down the cash for the studio in Australia.
if we dont get any official word on casting Cage either this month or in Dec ..the GR film could be in trouble...again :(

I will be VERY HAPPY if Nic Cage is NOT playing Johnny Blaze. Someone younger and less quirky please!

*crosses fingers and wishes a double jinx on Cage negotiations*

Just take the offer away from him and move on. I think he's the kiss of death when it comes to comic book movies. The guy is what nearly 50? I think Mathew McCanahey would make an excellent Johny Blaze. :ghost:

If Cage leaves this movie will go back into the dreaded "in development" bin.
Also Cage is a great actor who will nail the part,the difference between him and the other names people throw out is that he cares about the character where as the others it's just a paycheck.
As for matthew M he's not really a big name and i think GR will benefit from having a big star like cage to get interest from those non fans.

What has me worried is exactly why he hasn't signed yet.

“It’s really just a matter of the vision of the movie and how it will be portrayed. It’s talks about script and things like that."

WTF does that mean?
Nick is a fan, right? He'd know if it was faithful or not, right?
So then is something wrong with MSJ's script or is Nicholas Cage just really indecisive?

hunter rider said:
If Cage leaves this movie will go back into the dreaded "in development" bin.

Not necessarily. If the director and production team remain the same, there's no reason to "shelve" a movie just because the star changes. It's not like the GR script was written solely for Nic Cage or anything.

If he leaves the project, I say good riddance.

The Lizard said:
Not necessarily. If the director and production team remain the same, there's no reason to "shelve" a movie just because the star changes. It's not like the GR script was written solely for Nic Cage or anything.

If he leaves the project, I say good riddance.
I respect the fact that you don't like nic cage as GR but i truly believe weve got this far b/c columbia/Sony think he is going to sign and if he doesn't they'll have to put it on hold for another year or more at least until they can find a big name to play blaze as they probably are worried about drawing audiences on the back of a character that the mainstream arent so aware of:)

That's true, Mark Steven Johnson would most likely have to find a comparatively big name to replace Cage if he leaves.

I hope Nic does end up doing Ghost Rider. Because of his love for the character I'd love to see what he brings.

I don't think he's another Ben Affleck who proclaims "love" for a comic book character. I respect Nic and always respected his work, so I'm hoping he signs on for it and the sequels.

I'll admit, Nicolas Cage wasn't my first choice for the G-Man, but if he signs, I'd be fine with it. But if he doesn't sign, I'll be fine with that too. I just prefer someone a little younger than Cage, not exactly a big named actor, but someone younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"