The North Korea Thread

Aw diddums, things aren't as bad as they seem. Let's pout over that fact.

Wow... Such a surprise that it turns out that, no, you're wrong, the North and the Americans aren't having productive negotiations and it looks pretty clear to anyone not trying to be a reactionary contrarian for ****s and giggles that the programs are in fact still ongoing despite all the bull**** tough guy talk of the president.

They're still going on, sure. They've also closed down some things over the past few months. I don't think anyone's said they were genuinely going to scrap it all over a year, bing bang boom, we're done.

Point being, we were never going to be in a situation where NK would take this to war. They gave a little, they started stalling again, everyone expected that. Just means we've gotta turn the screws on them more, starve them of resources, maintain a line they will-not-cross-under-any-circumstances-or-Kim-doesn't-get-to-be-evil-dictator-guy-anymore-because-he's-ashes. That's what guys like this understand.

We're still better off than we were a couple years back.

Only because they blew up their test facility. All of this was a stalling measure to get the program back up and running.

Probably subs. I don't think there are nukes in South Korea because it would piss off China too much and Russia to a lesser extent because it would be too close range to them.

Our subs arent going anywhere. Unless Trunp caves like the little ***** he is. But I'd hope if he does that, our naval commanders would put their foot down and stop it.

[looks at what else has been going on this week]

Yeah, I would not be to sure on that...

Pulling our subs out of the Pacific on top of pulling out of Syria would be one hell of a signal that America is showing its belly. What's next? Closing all our European bases...

Pulling our subs out of the Pacific on top of pulling out of Syria would be one hell of a signal that America is showing its belly. What's next? Closing all our European bases...

Well that sentiment is far from foreign to many of his moronic supporters.

Well that sentiment is far from foreign to many of his moronic supporters.

I've encountered it. I just hope someone in a position of power isnt ever able do it. It would completely destroy our ability to effectively wage war beyond our own borders. Putin would love it tho.

I've encountered it. I just hope someone in a position of power isnt ever able do it. It would completely destroy our ability to effectively wage war beyond our own borders. Putin would love it tho.

Liberals and Progressives have often, and yeah sometimes rightfully, been painted as being too naive and starry eyed about the reality of global politics and the use of military force.

But for my money there is a mirror image of that naivete within the ranks of the Conservative and Libertarian branches of the Right as well that seem to want all of the prestige and power and pride of being "the most powerful country on Earth" but none of the actual burdens and responsibilities that inexorably go along with that power and influence. They believe in "American Exceptionalism" but somehow think that's just a given and not something that had to be achieved or has to be maintained.

That's not to say we have to be unduly involved all over but I think that we have seen the consequences of also NOT getting involved in the wider world for the past century and a half. There are many instances where I know we've screwed up royally either morally or practically when exercising our power in the wider world. That's not debatable. But at the same time thinking some one size fits all "America First" policy is a viable option is silly and not worth considering, given the history of the past 100 plus years, not to mention the practical benefits that have come to the USA from engagement with the rest of the planet.

Kim Jong Un 'executes senior officials' after failed Trump summit
Kim Jong Un 'executes senior officials' after failed Trump summit
skynews-kim-trump-vietnam_4592434.jpg

North Korea has executed a number of senior officials involved in failed talks with the US in Vietnam, according to a report.

The second summit between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump ended in failure back in February, with the two leaders walking away from negotiations in Hanoi due to a dispute over sanctions.

South Korean newspaper the Chosun Ilbo said Kim Hyok Chol, the special North Korean envoy to the US, and other officials who carried out working-level talks during the summit were held responsible by Pyongyang for its collapse and were killed as part of a massive purge in March.

The Choson Ilbo said the killings were carried out to divert attention away from internal turmoil and discontent, with a recent UN report claiming the country's population is living in a "vicious cycle of deprivation, corruption and repression".

Kim Hyok Chol and his colleagues were reportedly killed after being charged with spying for the US.

Another senior official, Kim Yong Chol - the counterpart to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo ahead of the meeting - is also reported to have been subjected to forced labour and ideological education.

Kim Jong Un is also said to have inflicted punishment upon his interpreter at the summit, Shin Hye Yong, supposedly for undermining his authority and making a "critical interpretation mistake"

Surprised that would actually get released to the outside world if true.

Yeah sounding like something is wrong.

The pendulum swings back to he is brain dead and/or incapacitated to a point he is no longer running the country. Whatever is going on there it will become evident soon enough. If he's effectively dethroned then someone is going to make their move soon.

So if Un dies, will Trump denounce the terrible coup against him? Because he would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"