The Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby union thread (6 Nations,Super Rugby,sevens)

England 's execution just a bit better than ours - and both those tries were well worked, so fair play to England for the halftime score . We'll need to lift our game to match Itoje and Laws who have been monstrous in defence.

Looks like 2020 is a rebuilding year for Wales, after last year's grand slam.

Still, the game is only half done.....
Yeah, you’re still in it but I’ll be disappointed to lose from here. Almost feels like a rebuilding mission for us too after the World Cup final and the start to the 6 Nations.

England have opened up a lead now. Should be all over. 33-16.

Wow, finished super close! 33-30. Job done but great spirit by Wales to make a comeback like that.

Wow, finished super close! 33-30. Job done but great spirit by Wales to make a comeback like that.

Diolch yn fawr . To be honest the scoreline flattered us a little given that England had 2 players in the sin bin for the last 10 minutes. England only looked in danger momentarily after Tipuric scored that try from the restart.

Of all the 6 Nations sides I've seen France have looked the best - won't be surprised if they get the grand slam.

Still, there's pride to play for next week against Scotland ( unless the game is cancelled due to CV -19 ) and for England a chance to rack up a massive win against Italy and claim vital bonus points.

Will still be cheering for Wales ! @AverageMan bydd popeth yn iawn Sadwrn nesaf, yn yr gem gyda Yr Alban.

Diolch yn fawr . To be honest the scoreline flattered us a little given that England had 2 players in the sin bin for the last 10 minutes. England only looked in danger momentarily after Tipuric scored that try from the restart.

Of all the 6 Nations sides I've seen France have looked the best - won't be surprised if they get the grand slam.

Still, there's pride to play for next week against Scotland ( unless the game is cancelled due to CV -19 ) and for England a chance to rack up a massive win against Italy and claim vital bonus points.

Will still be cheering for Wales ! @AverageMan bydd popeth yn iawn Sadwrn nesaf, yn yr gem gyda Yr Alban.
France have looked best yeah. We’ve got to go back and fix a few things to get back on or get past their level.

I don't know mate, they put on a great game to see off France yesterday!

All of this probably won't matter though - unconfirmed reports of the final weekend fixtures being moved to October 31st!!

I don't know mate, they put on a great game to see off France yesterday!

All of this probably won't matter though - unconfirmed reports of the final weekend fixtures being moved to October 31st!!

Just looked at the result for Yr Alban vs Ffrainc..... and can't believe it ! Good on the Scots ! Looks like we'll have to lift our game again to beat them this coming weekend, otherwise this will have been a season of frustrating near misses - but I suppose with a new coach there's some rebuilding to be expected.

The Joe Marler incident has made the regular news down here - what was probably intended as a joke is going to really cost him, today's world isn't as tolerant of that sort of behaviour. Blatant foul ? Yes. Is it sexual assault ? I think that's blowing it well out of proportion.

AWJ was a legend for not reacting on the field, and his deadpan response in the interview is classy and hilarious at the same time:

Six Nations: Alun Wyn Jones reacts to Joe Marler incident | Videos | Express.co.uk

We'll see what happens with the game, and with handsy Joe ! Pob Hwyl !

Oh damn. Real shame. :csad:

That's sad. Super Rugby and club rugby have been going here for a few weeks.

@AverageMan I see from BBC Cymru that NZ Super Rugby has been showing on teledu. Gatland's team, the Chiefs have been struggling - there's a young guy playing for them who's the son of a family friend, Naitoa Ah Kuoi ( Samoan).
The Crusaders are the top team ( having won 10 championships- and that's at the full Super rugby level with teams from South Africa and Australia too), but this year the Blues are looking very strong ( and have Dan Carter and Beauden Barrett playing for them).
Anyway, I dont know when Welsh rugby kicks off, but I hope you got a chance to enjoy some Kiwi rugby in the meantime. Pob hwyl.

@AverageMan I see from BBC Cymru that NZ Super Rugby has been showing on teledu. Gatland's team, the Chiefs have been struggling - there's a young guy playing for them who's the son of a family friend, Naitoa Ah Kuoi ( Samoan).
The Crusaders are the top team ( having won 10 championships- and that's at the full Super rugby level with teams from South Africa and Australia too), but this year the Blues are looking very strong ( and have Dan Carter and Beauden Barrett playing for them).
Anyway, I dont know when Welsh rugby kicks off, but I hope you got a chance to enjoy some Kiwi rugby in the meantime. Pob hwyl.
So I guess all these games are going ahead without any people attending to watch? Do they do that fake crowd noise stuff that they do in football to simulate an atmosphere? Glad to see it’s resumed anyway and hope all the clubs are able to sort their finances out and have no risk of going under.

So I guess all these games are going ahead without any people attending to watch? Do they do that fake crowd noise stuff that they do in football to simulate an atmosphere? Glad to see it’s resumed anyway and hope all the clubs are able to sort their finances out and have no risk of going under.

Nope, full stadiums packed with screaming fans. New Zealand has Covid pretty much under control. I've been back working on site for 7 weeks now.

Nope, full stadiums packed with screaming fans. New Zealand has Covid pretty much under control. I've been back working on site for 7 weeks now.
Oh yes, I forgot how well you guys managed it. That’s amazing! Shows how much difference taking control early and hard with good leadership can make. I need to see some of these games as I’ve not heard a genuine crowd atmosphere for a sport in ages.

Hey mate,

Good to hear from you. Hope you & the family are all well?

Haven't seen much of this tbf. Super Rugby is generally shown on Sky (I Think). BBC Cymru may have some sort of highlights show?

Saw Dan Cater was back - but Beauden Barrett is off to Japan isn't he? So enjoy the two while you can!! Haha.

The season here was ended when we went into lock down back in March, so from what I can gather, the new season will start as normal in September. It's really affected semi professional & local clubs - I know a few that have gone under.

The biggest thing to happen here before the lockdown was the Saracens wage scandal. They broke salary cap rules several times & have been relegated to the first division from the Premiership for next season. No word yet on their internationals or if they'l stay or leave.

One of my son's friends who he played with on a Sunday for his local team has been given an academy contract with the Scarlets - he might well go on to have a future in the game.

Hey mate,

Good to hear from you. Hope you & the family are all well?

Haven't seen much of this tbf. Super Rugby is generally shown on Sky (I Think). BBC Cymru may have some sort of highlights show?

Saw Dan Cater was back - but Beauden Barrett is off to Japan isn't he? So enjoy the two while you can!! Haha.

The season here was ended when we went into lock down back in March, so from what I can gather, the new season will start as normal in September. It's really affected semi professional & local clubs - I know a few that have gone under.

The biggest thing to happen here before the lockdown was the Saracens wage scandal. They broke salary cap rules several times & have been relegated to the first division from the Premiership for next season. No word yet on their internationals or if they'l stay or leave.

One of my son's friends who he played with on a Sunday for his local team has been given an academy contract with the Scarlets - he might well go on to have a future in the game.

Pob lwc to your son's mate ! There were more than a few Scarlets players in the Wales team at RWC 2019, if I remember correctly, so a good place to make a start in the professional game. Does Llanelli have yet another Kiwi coach ? I think Brad Moar is supposed to be back down here.

Anyway, dw i'n gobeithio i ti a dy teulu ti cadw saff.
Hwyl !

My friends @Iceman and @AverageMan .

Here in Wellington we have a real Welsh pub. While there's super rugby on at the moment there's no six nations or international games - so the Welsh pub are showing historic Welsh matches ( on S4C or BBC Cymru) .

Today, the wife let me out of the cave so I went to the pub, had a pint and watched the 2019 RWC game between Wales and Australia and the 2008 6 Nations match between England and Wales. Warren Gatland's first game as coach.

England took the lead early and held it until half time 16 -3. Wales came back in the second half and eventually won 26-19. A truly epic clash. Jonny Wilkinson played in that match - still great, although nearly at the end of his career.

Interesting though, that the play was much scrappier than we see today. Perhaps referees have become much more vigilant around breakdowns and loose ball.

Anyway, thought of you lads while enjoying the rugby hope you are all well up there and keeping safe. Cadw saff ! Cheers.

haha!! That must be awesome.

Pubs here (Wales) aren't even open yet - August 3rd.

Caught some Super Rugby this weekend - Crusaders & Blues then Waratah's & Western Force.

Crusaders played some amazing stuff - Richie Mo'unga had a great game.

My mum has family in Australia & they're all Waratah's fans (althouhg more RL than RU). But I always look out for them. Couldn't name one player for them. Have they fallen off recently or what?

Shwmae but @AverageMan !

The Super rugby competition is usually between teams from NZ, South Africa and Australia, with 1 Argentinian team ( the Jaguares) and 1 Japanese team ( the Sunwolves). With all the borders closed it's being played out in each country ( well I'm not sure about Japan or Argentina). The NZ matches are entertaining, for their skill and speed, but the South African matches are probably more brutal.

The Warratahs are from New South Wales, and have had some ups and downs - appearing in a couple of finals but never winning. They've had some amazing players over the years ( Matt Burke , Phil Waugh, Kurtley Beale and the infamous Israel Folau to name just a few). The Western Force, from Perth, have also had a tumultuous history, but with less success than the Warratahs. The Warratahs and the Brumbies used to be the best Australian teams, I'm not sure what the form is like at the moment.

Australian rugby has been somewhat in disarray for the last couple of years, with all their super rugby teams struggling, Michael Cheika's coaching being under scrutiny ( for lack of results) and the Israel Folau scandal distracting a lot of resources. Despite the NZ v Australia rivalry, it's not hard to feel a bit sorry for them.

The Australian Rugby League competition, the NRL, is probably the world's toughest rugby league. New South Wales have a couple of teams but the Blue jerseys come out for the " State of Origin" series ( NSW vs Queensland) which is often more intense and brutal than international matches - but can be fun to watch.

BBC Cymru on Facebook has been replaying highlights from some great matches between Llanelli and Pontypridd, wow do they like to throw the ball around !

Hope you are staying well. Pob hwyl !

My friends @Iceman and @AverageMan .

Here in Wellington we have a real Welsh pub. While there's super rugby on at the moment there's no six nations or international games - so the Welsh pub are showing historic Welsh matches ( on S4C or BBC Cymru) .

Today, the wife let me out of the cave so I went to the pub, had a pint and watched the 2019 RWC game between Wales and Australia and the 2008 6 Nations match between England and Wales. Warren Gatland's first game as coach.

England took the lead early and held it until half time 16 -3. Wales came back in the second half and eventually won 26-19. A truly epic clash. Jonny Wilkinson played in that match - still great, although nearly at the end of his career.

Interesting though, that the play was much scrappier than we see today. Perhaps referees have become much more vigilant around breakdowns and loose ball.

Anyway, thought of you lads while enjoying the rugby hope you are all well up there and keeping safe. Cadw saff ! Cheers.
Sounds great mate. I’d quite like to watch some top historic matches like that.

Sounds great mate. I’d quite like to watch some top historic matches like that.

I have a DVD with historic matches which includes the 2003 RWC final - England rugby's finest hour, and an epic final, more so than any other I've seen ( except maybe the 2011 grinder between NZ and France). Full credit to that particular English team, who were true world beaters ( at a time when Australia were at their peak). Wales will get there one day ! I have no doubt, and 4th at 2 rugby world cups is pretty good for our tiny little country. ❤

What's interesting is seeing how much the game has changed , even since the late 1990s/early 2000s with increased professionalism meaning stronger, faster, fitter players, and of course all the rule changes.

I have a DVD with historic matches which includes the 2003 RWC final - England rugby's finest hour, and an epic final, more so than any other I've seen ( except maybe the 2011 grinder between NZ and France). Full credit to that particular English team, who were true world beaters ( at a time when Australia were at their peak). Wales will get there one day ! I have no doubt, and 4th at 2 rugby world cups is pretty good for our tiny little country. ❤

What's interesting is seeing how much the game has changed , even since the late 1990s/early 2000s with increased professionalism meaning stronger, faster, fitter players, and of course all the rule changes.
I’ve actually got that on DVD too. A great memory. I really thought we’d be adding to it with the last WC final, but at least the semi was still great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"