"The novel was better than the movie," says Conn

CConn

Fountainhead of culture.
Reaction score
I read the novel before the movie came out last year, and never though to mention it then, but I really think it is a ton better than the film itself. A lot of the major problems I had with the film were non-existant or even correct in the book. The direction, and cinematography, etc. that I thought was very poor was obviously not a factor in the book.

The characterization was stronger. Doom for instance was much stronger in the book than in the movie; by looking into his inner monologue in the book, you're able to see a pompousness and meance that wasn't nearly as evident in the film, and obviously with the Four a lot more depth was given to their plight and personalities than was in the movie.

While the movie was a disappointment for me, I must say the novel was much more satisfying. Anyone else of the three people who still come to this board agree?

CConn said:
I read the novel before the movie came out last year, and never though to mention it then, but I really think it is a ton better than the film itself. A lot of the major problems I had with the film were non-existant or even correct in the book. The direction, and cinematography, etc. that I thought was very poor was obviously not a factor in the book.

The characterization was stronger. Doom for instance was much stronger in the book than in the movie; by looking into his inner monologue in the book, you're able to see a pompousness and meance that wasn't nearly as evident in the film, and obviously with the Four a lot more depth was given to their plight and personalities than was in the movie.

While the movie was a disappointment for me, I must say the novel was much more satisfying. Anyone else of the three people who still come to this board agree?

Totally agree....plus you got the WHOLE DEAL in the novel, not a half-ass edited deal....

I have to agree. Peter David has worked for Marvel on and off (he's back again in a three year deal I believe) for many years and knows the characters well. He hasn't done the FF very much and is mostly know for his long run on the Hulk title. But I do recall liking his "Heroes Return" mini series that acted as the bridge between the HR books and the Marvel reboot. He did very well with the large cast of characters (which included Reed and Victor) in that.

I suppose Hollywood has come to believe that people who read books and those who go to movies are two different breeds. They took out anything that they felt would slow the movie down to get it down to a profitable running time. So out went any of the "quieter" scenes of exposition, particularly those dealing with Victor and Alicia.

It sucks when a book is better than the movie.

Although I liked Fantastic Four, the novel was better.

webhead731 said:
It sucks when a book is better than the movie.

Although I liked Fantastic Four, the novel was better.

For me that happens pretty much 100% of the time.

JMAfan said:
For me that happens pretty much 100% of the time.

Same here. I have NEVER seen a movie adaption that was as good as the written novel.

CaptainStacy said:
Same here. I have NEVER seen a movie adaption that was as good as the written novel.

And that's the point. No movie is as good as the book. How can you cram 300 to 400 pages into a 2 hour movie. I judge the movie on it's own, and the book by itself. I never judge the movie by the book it was taken from. I have found see the movie, then read the book, other then the other way around, because if you read the book 1st, you're bound to be disapointed in the movie.

Yeah, I was about to say something about that...A novel isn't necessarily bound by time like a movie is. It's all writing and it can pace its story and characters with more dept and interaction than a movie ever could...

I don't know of any novel of movie adaptations that weren't better than the movie...

-TNC

I just noticed "says Conn" in the title

I shall now call you Serpentor

OT: Probably one of the best movie adaptions was "Silence of the Lambs" very faithful to the book, as far as Hollywood goes.

I'd rather have an abortion than have to watch this movie again. :down

Ben Urich said:
I'd rather have an abortion than have to watch this movie again. :down

PDNFTT

please the film wasn't that bad... it could have been just a lot lot better... it seems to be the staple of Fox produced Marvel films, like Daredevil, and X-men 3 and even the first X-men... they were not at all bad or terrible per say, they had an element of fun and enjoymen tand entertainment... but they really really sucked in the aspect that they not just should have but NEEDED and DESERVED to be treated and done much better than the kind of rushed production they got their way which is terrible especially for such classic characters.

That said I'm glad this movie wasn't at LEAST a disaster... I just don't think Fox will ever see beyond making a barely above average fun film... if that's what people are satisfied with then so be it, personally I think these characters deserve a hell of a lot more, a timeless, classic treatment so to speak, especially Daredevil and Fantastic Four. The former had the possibility of opening a large new fan base in terms of building its film audience into seeing it had the potential to be Marvel's Batman trilogy. The latter needed a far superior script and director. Tim Story was ok at best. I think Pete Segal would've been a better pick but even then not the best.

The Michael France original draft with Chris Columbus attached SEEMED to be the most promising but we'll never know.. Moriarity and others have said that it is bar none the best superhero script out there alongside Andrew Kevin Walker's Silver Surfer script... which is a pity because we'll never see these two masterpiece scripts.

CConn said:

I hate Peter David (unless Fox sent a different version by a different author to America like they did with the film :o, I swear there has to be like 49 versions, each with deleted scenes). His Hulk novel was boring as, but the Fantastic Four novel, I've gathered up motivation, and I think I'm at the conference where Doom has stole Reed's speech. I'm sort of liking it coz im REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY into superheroes at the moment, and the films (watched Incredibles and F4 the other day). I love F4, however. THe sequel better be better, however :o

I still don't understand why they don't just buckle down and hire folks like Peter David or Chris Claremont to write the scripts in the first place. Or at least the storylines and concepts.

Is it a money issue? :confused:

Most unlikely...they hire scriptwriters because they know that's what they do: write scripts. Remember, it isn't quality in Hollywood that matters: it's money.

Ultimate Movie-Man said:
Most unlikely...they hire scriptwriters because they know that's what they do: write scripts. Remember, it isn't quality in Hollywood that matters: it's money.

Well, if the current trend of lackluster films continues, Hollywood will start to lose that money...the public is started to get tired of high-priced movie tickets and concession stand foods in exchange for half-baked films...

damn, i jsut finished the novel. WAY better than the movie.

That's the case with almost all novelizations. I found that Spider-Man 2 The Novel was a lot more clear about certain things that happened in the movie. You get to go deep into the thoughts of each character and find out what's going on in there heads as things play out. Of course, watching a movie is a lot easier. :)

Carp Man said:
And that's the point. No movie is as good as the book. quote]

This may be off subject but the movie Field of Dreams is better than the book it's based on, Shoeless Joe. In my opinion anyway.

I found myself inserting the film's images into my imagination when I read the FF movie adaptation. It made for a complete experience. I'm really glad I found a message board where people liked the movie the way I did!
:thing:

The one thing I hated about the novel wa Ben getting his powers came even more out of nowhere. I thought some of the inner thoughts were pretty funny, like when Ben first hears Sue as she enters the room and hopes she "lost her looks ot put on a hundred pounds" because she is working for Doom now.

I love the way the novel portrayed Johnny.

The Godfather. Jaws. Star Wars. The Last of the Mohicans. Etc., etc., etc.

Superior screen adaptations aren't quite as rare as they're made out to be.

I wouldn't know about the FF novel, but I do know that the Dr. Doom that I created in my custom FF comic book on the Burger King site was more fearsome than the one in the film.

Mrs. F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"