The Official Aquaman costume thread!

Short (but not so short) hair with beard would be the ideal for me, but I'm fine with long hair too.

I don't see why it would be hard to explain an armored suit VS a less armored suit?

He has armor, and he has his "everyday clothes".

Or he simply wanted to change his style. I don't give any sort of explanation when I decide to cut my hair and shave off the beard. :oldrazz:

Still, I don't want this as it makes him look more generic as opposed to the majestic, Arthurian, king of old times vibe he gives off with beard and longer hair.

I'm with you; even when a great artist draws Aquaman in his classic look and adds personal touches like mutton chops or a more medieval kind of bowl cut, I feel the overall image is still too generic. It's a blonde guy in an orange shirt or chain mail with green pants.

The David look is much more iconic and readily identifiable to me.

Plus, the Silver Age honestly wasn't as good as a lot of its supporters make it out to be. The nineties were a dark time for comics, but DC had a lot of good stuff come out of it.

There aren't many Silver Age supporters, people just know it was crazy and some people like that. But there's not a huge support in favor of Silver Age Aquaman over Peter David Aquaman in terms of story. Plus, the classic look is from the Golden Age.

Wanting the classic look for Aquaman has much more to do with, well, being the classic look which has much more exposure to the public, but also being the New 52 look, which many think it was when Aquaman became "badass".

Also, the general audience isn't that aware of the Peter David look, even though the JLU Aquaman was based on him. That's why a lot of people initially thought Aquamomoa looked nothing like Aquaman.

Part of the reason I would prefer him with shorter hair is that it balances out between the classic and the Peter David look, and even looks like the Brave and the Bold look. I don't mind him not wearing the orange scale at all. I think the general audience would also be more accepting.

Last edited:
Short (but not so short) hair with beard would be the ideal for me, but I'm fine with long hair too.

I would prefer shorter hair as well.

I'm with you; even when a great artist draws Aquaman in his classic look and adds personal touches like mutton chops or a more medieval kind of bowl cut, I feel the overall image is still too generic. It's a blonde guy in an orange shirt or chain mail with green pants.

I don't think it looks generic at all, personally, but I can see were you're coming from.

I'm starting to think Aquaman is one of those rare heroes that has a costume that, if translated well, is better suited for live action.

Glad they went with boots.
Really wasn't liking the idea of barefoot aquaman.

Glad they went with boots.
Really wasn't liking the idea of barefoot aquaman.

I'm pretty sure the bottom got colored by mistake and he actually wears one-piece pants like in comics with golden greaves over those.

Anyway, regarding classic vs Peter David's look:

Sideshow-Aquaman-Statue-001.jpg

Sideshow-Aquaman-Statue-008.jpg

Aquaman simply looks much more majestic with the beard and longer hair, to me. And it goes with the character to evoke that aesthetic of both - Poseidon and kings of old.

I wouldn't mind if they'd trim Momoa's hair and beard to look more kept and a bit closer to this though.

Agreed, it evokes a classic Mariner aesthetic to have Aquaman with a beard.

I wouldn't be so sure about not wearing boots. It's probably just golden details and not entirely golden, like the rest of the golden pieces, but they could be boots indeed.

And about the look, I think he looks majestic with shorter hair and beard, specially for Momoa because his long hair is kinda messy, more savage than majestic.

Maybe he could just tuck his hair

aquaman_by_sketchheavy.jpg

Or just cut his hair medium lenght like this

Jason+Momoa+Jason+Momoa+Heads+Jimmy+Kimmel+adEyILVDkPbl.jpg

Last edited:
Considering how Aquaman stories often has to do with Atlantis/surface relations, if they ever do transition to a more classic look, I wouldn't be surprised if a character suggests it to him for PR purposes, to make the King seem less hostile, haha.

Am I the only one who hopes they go all out on referencing Peter David's take on Aquaman?
I wouldn't change a thing to what his look was in the first official pic. I even hope he'll lose his hand.

Am I the only one who hopes they go all out on referencing Peter David's take on Aquaman?
I wouldn't change a thing to what his look was in the first official pic. I even hope he'll lose his hand.

The only reason why I'm against him losing his hand is because there will be no more lovely choreographed fights with that trident of his. Anyway, I love Peter David's Aquaman.

The only reason why I'm against him losing his hand is because there will be no more lovely choreographed fights with that trident of his. Anyway, I love Peter David's Aquaman.

But if you get enough Trident action and he loses his hand - where's the problem? You've got Trident action ( which you can do only so much with, after a while it'll get old) and then you'll get one-handed action. Best of both worlds.

But if you get enough Trident action and he loses his hand - where's the problem? You've got Trident action ( which you can do only so much with, after a while it'll get old) and then you'll get one-handed action. Best of both worlds.

There's never enough trident action. :oldrazz:

I'm not against the hook hand per se, I just think that there's a variety of choreography with a two-handed weapon such as trident, while hook hand has rather limited use, though all can be done in an interesting way if one is creative enough.

Anyway:

10475469-hi-162571.jpg

With that action figure and now this, shouldn't we start the Aquaman merchandise thread?

[YT]watch?v=riVHmN8eopA[/YT]

Not thrilled by the greaves/boots, but I guess it was the only way to make those fins of his and I'm glad they made it onto the suit. Costume looks good, even on a cheap figure. Looking forward to see Hot Toys one.

The former, I believe.

And hope. Morphing into water would finally make his name "Aquaman" to have sense, but it is not something I'd like to see.

Has he ever been able to morph into water before?

It seems that he has:

"Numerous times king Orin had been mystically or metaphysically trans-morphed into living water, water which when bonded to any other liquid body would give him full control over it. Becoming an elemental manifest of the four elements and quite possibly the clear's avatar on earth, Arthur could literally utilize planetary water bodies as his ultimate weapon, once having been merged to the sea itself in order to drown the then risen city of Atlantis back beneath the waves."

http://www.comicvine.com/aquaman/4005-2357/

And there was that water hand as well. But it seems too out there for this universe.​

Like he transforms into actual water? Liquid state? Lol

I guess so. That's at least how I took this description of water-morphing. It is an obscure power and I never saw that in the comics, though I am not well-versed when it comes to Aquaman. I'm mostly familiar with the character from Morrison's JLA run:

84741607548210a4c69b6833d261b98a.jpg

Nice to see more details on the golden parts, even if they made the green into black. The boots look better when they aren't entirely gold.

As a side note, I don't know why they keep making the star on WW's tiara silver. It's clearly golden in the pictures, specially in the one from the WW movie

Nice to see more details on the golden parts, even if they made the green into black. The boots look better when they aren't entirely gold.

As a side note, I don't know why they keep making the star on WW's tiara silver. It's clearly golden in the pictures, specially in the one from the WW movie

Yeah, on the plush toy it's clear that the same spearhead and triangle pattern is on the "boots" as well:

Batman-V-Superman-Aquaman-toy.png

By the way, I am curious what material the black part of the armor is supposed to be...?

As for WW's silver star, I guess it's easier to make it stand out on the toys that way, so they color it silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"