First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a straight Cap sequel in the modern times, maybe with some flashbacks, but where
Red Skull comes back
is the way to go.

I personally hope Skull comes back in Avengers 2, since it seems he won't be in the first Avengers. I think he's threatening enough to be one of the main baddies that the entire Avengers need to take on.

I personally hope Skull comes back in Avengers 2, since it seems he won't be in the first Avengers. I think he's threatening enough to be one of the main baddies that the entire Avengers need to take on.

I am wondering where he went to. That def makes him potentially dangerous to the whole team. Will he get his death mist from this world? Did he maybe end up on the Kree homeworld, and will be a factor in a potential Kree/Skrull war (assuming the Skrull rumor is true for Avengers)? Did he go to another one of the 9 realms, and will be set free from it due to the events in Thor 2? I have so many questions, and there are so many things they can do with that. It was a genius move.

Well... for one, Barnes. No emotion at all. In addition, falling off a train for Captain America's right hand man?

Steve did take it pretty hard when it happened...he even tried (and failed) to get wasted.

And as it's been mentioned before IF the comics is any indication...we'll see Bucky again.

Steve did take it pretty hard when it happened...he even tried (and failed) to get wasted.

And as it's been mentioned before IF the comics is any indication...we'll see Bucky again.

Likely will, but I am hoping that if that card gets played, it is saved for Cap 3. Based on this film, I think there is a better Cap 2 waiting for us than a Winter Soldier focused one. best wait til Cap 3 for it. Allow Cap to have accepted his fate a bit more before Bucky comes back.

Hmmm, I seem to remember alot of fans asking Stan if he would return as the Winter Soldier and said: "Probably not -- but I'd love to. We'll see."

But then again, the sequel hasn't even started filming yet.

Hmmm, I seem to remember alot of fans asking Stan if he would return as the Winter Soldier and said: "Probably not -- but I'd love to. We'll see."

But then again, the sequel hasn't even started filming yet.

Hiddleston once said the same about being in Avengers.

I think WS likely happens at some point. I am just hoping not in Cap 2.

Hiddleston once said the same about being in Avengers.

I think WS likely happens at some point. I am just hoping not in Cap 2.

If that is the case, it's also possible that might appear in The Avengers film.

I know they started filming awhile back but they still haven't completed 50% of the film yet.

I loved the movie. :hrt::hrt: It was a great way to do the character, without coming out too cheesy and without making him too much like Ultimate Cap. As a Cap I very very pleased with the movie. My only gripe at first was small, but I got over it the more I thought about it.

Not seeing Cap actually frozen was the only gripe. I was really looking forward to seeing how they were going to handle that. But just showing the shield and having you assume he was there worked for me. I know that it confused alot of my friends that were unaware of his origins. So I had to explain it a few times.

I think the one shot that just blew me away at how Evans looked like Steve from the comics was; right before he went AWOL and was putting on the leather jacket. It was just a great shot and reminded me of a few similar shots in recent comics. And with the mask off, I will say, the USO outfit looked great, especially when Steve is walking down the stairs signing autographs.

I honestly was like a fanboy the entire movie, filled with excitement and joy at how they handled my favorite Marvel character.

I loved the movie. :hrt::hrt: It was a great way to do the character, without coming out too cheesy and without making him too much like Ultimate Cap. As a Cap I very very pleased with the movie. My only gripe at first was small, but I got over it the more I thought about it.

Not seeing Cap actually frozen was the only gripe. I was really looking forward to seeing how they were going to handle that. But just showing the shield and having you assume he was there worked for me. I know that it confused alot of my friends that were unaware of his origins. So I had to explain it a few times.

I think the one shot that just blew me away at how Evans looked like Steve from the comics was; right before he went AWOL and was putting on the leather jacket. It was just a great shot and reminded me of a few similar shots in recent comics. And with the mask off, I will say, the USO outfit looked great, especially when Steve is walking down the stairs signing autographs.

I honestly was like a fanboy the entire movie, filled with excitement and joy at how they handled my favorite Marvel character.

BIZ!!!

Was it also your favorite Marvel Studios film, like it was mine :hrt:

BIZ!!!

Was it also your favorite Marvel Studios film, like it was mine :hrt:

Without a doubt man!! Not that I'm saying any of the others are bad, I do like them all equally, with the exception of Cap as my absolute favorite.

All weekend long, I've either been calling people "bullies" or I've been saying "I can do this all day." :o

Without a doubt man!! Not that I'm saying any of the others are bad, I do like them all equally, with the exception of Cap as my absolute favorite.

All weekend long, I've either been calling people "bullies" or I've been saying "I can do this all day." :o

Totally agreed! I love all these films so far, but walking out of Cap was the most satisfied I've been at the movies in a while. I am so glad that Cap was treated with such respect in this movie! I have been in an awesome mood the last couple days recalling this movie and talking to my friends I saw it with endlessly :oldrazz:

Cap will get more of my money, too :cwink:

Walking into the theater I was decked out in Cap attire; Cap shirt (Commander Rogers costume) Cap fossil watch (just the Shield) Cap Belt (Kirby Art) Cap briefs (Shield on the crotch) and for some reason, I had two Cap shield pins that I ended up pinning to my shirt to make it look like I had shield nipples :o

And my god, those Easter Eggs were freakin' great!! Zola's first appearance had me jumping out of my seat.

Oh and I had a tiny heart attack after the credits when that little teaser trailer played for the one superhero movie. :oldrazz:

I walked out of the movie theater during the airplane chase ending. I'm quite nauseated now, the characters come off as patronizing and since this answers my previous question (why this film wasnt filmed July 4) I understand why. The actors have no charisma no depth, nothing. It's cardboard, and too much reliance on Cgi.

Btw the Hydra costumes were out oif place and their guns reminded me of those 80's Viva La Sassoon neon curling irons. I thought it would turn into a hair commercial, however overall the beginning was nice as I loved the USO feel, but everything else seemed rushed. I never thought I'd get seasick in a movie theater but I did and I can never go back.

C- (for effort):(

Wow, never would have guessed you'd hate it so much

I just got home from seeing Captain America, and the movie was fantastic. However, I have to agree (as some other posters have said) that it would have been even more powerful if it had another 15 - 20 minutes, as some parts went by a little quick for me. However, I guess that is part of leaving the movie a little open ended so if they decide they want to do a sequel based in the 1940's they can still squeeze it in. Chris Evans played a great Captain America and an even better Steve Rogers. Really happy that they took the time to develope the character and make it so you cared about him. Haley Atwell did an amazing job as Peggy Carter, such a strong woman and yet the climax with her had me almost in tears. Tommy Lee Jones did great, and created most of the laughter in the movie. Who knew he could be so funny. The Action was really wonderful, and not to over the top, but ultimately I felt the movie was most powerful in the character dynamics and story telling areas. On a critical note, and I know some people are going to hate me for this, but I do wish there were a little more in the way of Nazi's. I felt they were mentioned a few times, shown (that I remember) only once *****SPOILERS (when the Nazi's were visiting Skulls lab)*******, and that a few scenes showing Cap battling Nazi's (even if that was not his primary target) or ******SPOILERS something showing Hitler retalliating for Skull's defiance would have given a little more support to the idea it's taking place in WWII.******* Finally, I have to say I was really excited about *******SPOILERS The Avengers Trailer at the end sequence********. However, after seeing it the sequences they showed were such quick clips that I had trouble making out half of what I was looking at. Oh well guess I will need to see it again, and I suppose that is why they call them Teaser Trailers. :yay:

All and All I would rate Captain America an 8.5 out of 10

and my favorite Marvel made movies would rank in this order

Iron Man: 9 out of 10
Captain America: 8.5 out of 10
Thor: 8 out o 10
Incredible Hulk: 8 out of 10
Iron Man 2: 7 out of 10

Surfer

Last edited:
Did anybody laugh when Cap first got on the plane and he discovered the bombs with the citiy names on them? I mean did it matter which bomb was for which city?

Not a complaint it just felt like a Wile E. Coyote moment.

^^ yea I thought that was pretty funny. Very comic book villain thing. Another part that I laughed at, but really didn't WANT to laugh at, was every time a soldier said "HAIL HYRDA!" The second one wasn't too bad, but the first time its done with only the two guys was kinda laughable haha

I think it had to do with the costumes, I just think the movie was so period, and YES they had advanced technology, but it seemed like the uniforms looked out of place

A few people in my theater did the Hail Hydra salute whenever it was done on screen. :D

I feel the exact same way. After I first saw the movie, I was a little shocked at how deeply it affected me. I've been a Cap fan since I first picked up a comic book at the age of 5. He has always been one of my favorite characters, and The Avengers were my favorite group. I haven't read many comics since the early 90s, as Marvel sadly lost its charm for me. It took seeing Cap on the big screen for me to realize that he is my all-time favorite character. It's not that I don't love the other Avengers, just that Cap has a special place in my heart.

Did anybody laugh when Cap first got on the plane and he discovered the bombs with the citiy names on them? I mean did it matter which bomb was for which city?

Not a complaint it just felt like a Wile E. Coyote moment.

Actually, I thought of it as a throwback to the WWII era, when the crews of bombers would put slogans on planes and bombs. Or it could have been that Hydra's kamikaze pilots were really dumb and needed the names of the cities on the bombs so they'd know where they were supposed to go. :woot:

Some more joined in the second time it was done on screen LOL :awesome:

I prefer people do that than talk during the film. That I can't forgive.

Last edited:
I'm not that much of a Cap fan, but this movie was awesome. I'd love a sequel in modern times.

When the shot focused on NYC(which is where I live), I made a quick comment haha...

...saying,"OH NO! THAT MEANS US!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"