The official David Benniof's script discussion thread.

protocida

Avenger
Reaction score
When Fox decided to make a movie focused in Wolverine, they called the writer David Benniof ("Troy") to write a script. Benniof did. After some consideration, Fox refused the Script and encomended another one. Benniof's script leaked and was read by a good amount of people. With X-men Origins: Wolverine hitting the theaters in May, let's use this thread to discuss about Benniof's script. Here's the plot outline, courtesy of the hypester The Guard:

Wolverine beats up a bully as a young kid. He has bone claws, we see how feral, how ferocious he is. It's hinted that his father is a conflict.

Fast forward to the present. Wolverine is with his lover Silverfox, having a nightmare. She comforts him.

At a carnival somewhere, we meet Beak, a birdlike mutant. Sabertooth appears after Beak's show, when he is alone, and kills Beak. He's been killing mutants apparently.

William Stryker comes to Wolverine's cabin, tries to get him to rejoin the military. He struggles with his decision not to, as he was good at what he did. He discusses it with Silverfox.

Logan gets dropped off at work. He's a lumberjack. Silverfox gets killed by Sabertooth. Logan comes upon her, tracks down Sabertooth at a nearby bar. The two of them fight. Sabertooth kicks the crap out of him, breaking his bone claws.

Logan comes to in a hospital. Stryker is there, offers to help Logan find Sabertooth. He tells Logan about a list. The government has a list with every known mutant on it. Sabertooth is killing them off. Stryker offers Logan a way to keep pace with Sabertooth: Weapon X treatment.

Logan undergoes the Weapon X preperation. Dr. Cornelius and a woman named Hines are there. Stryker gives Logan back his dog tags from his military days.

Logan overhears Stryker and Hines talking. Logan may not survive the procedure.

They put Logan in the water tank thing we've seen in flashbacks. Robotic arms drill into him and begin an adamantium feed. He suffers a lot. As this occurs, he has flashbacks to Silverfox's death, his childhood, and his time in Vietnam.

Stryker discusses something called Weapon 11 with a General. He talks about the coming war. We see more flashbacks of Logan's childhood, and Stryker's dark past.

Logan wakes in the tank, pops his claws, and slashes free. He escapes the base. He runs into a wolf and kicks it ass. Then soldiers from the base arrive to take him back. He kills them all and escapes.

Logan is found by James Hudson and his wife, and they give him shelter. Someone called Agent Zero kills Hudson and his wife via sniper rifle. An attack chopper arrives, blows up the house.

Logan jumps onto the chopper, takes it down. Logan gets shot in the head by Agent Zero, heals quickly. He finds a Harley in the barn and rides off. An SUV pursues it, Logan uses his claws to pop it's tires. He then interrogates and kills Agent Zero. Logan calls up Stryker, tells him he shouldn't have killed innocent people, tells him he's going after Creed.

Creed kills a mutant who is also a preacher.

Logan makes his way to Las Vegas, tracks down old combat buddy John Wraith. Wraith tells Logan about Weapon 11 and what Creed is capable of. Seems Creed is a covert operative, ruthless, etc. Wraith points Logan toward an old associate of Creed's, Fred Dukes, aka The Blob.

Logan watches mutant unrest unfold on TV. The "mutant problem" is just starting to become a real issue.

Logan finds The Blob at a supermarket, eating. They fight, Logan gains the upper hand, and presses The Blob for info on Creed. The Blob reveals the existence of a Mutant Club called Superior in New Orleans, tells Logan to find a mutant called Barbarus who shared a cell with Creed in a supermax prison.

Near Alkali Lake, Stryker and the General talk about their battle plan for finding Logan. Stryker poisons the General, inducing a heart attack.

Logan goes to the mutant club, is introduced to four armed-mutant Barbarus, who is with a mutant called Pantera. Barbarus attacks him and Logan starts cutting off his arms. Logan interrogates Barbarus, discovers that Creed is working for the government.

Elsewhere, John Wraith encounters Creed, tries to escape in his Mustang, Creed stops him and murders him.

Logan confronts Dr. Hines in her home, asks about the Weapon X program. She reveals it's something of a supersoldier program that's been around since WWII. She tells Logan that he and Creed are prototypes and that Weapon 11 is the ultimate goal, and that it's almost ready.

Stryker is told that Hines didn't report for work. He and Cornelius have devised adamantium bullets from leftover adamantium.

Hines sneaks Logan into the Alkali Lake base. Hines gets Logan into the Weapon 11 area. It's a massive underground cavern full of machinery, isolation tanks, technicians, etc, and supported by huge pillars. It turns out Weapon 11 is a ton of clones. They're all cloned from Victor Creed. Stryker wants to use them as an army to destroy mutantkind.

Logan confronts Stryker in his office. Silverfox is there, alive. Creed surprises Logan, knocks him out with a baseball bat, flattening it, carries him off.

Logan is strapped into a reeducation chair which Dr. Cornelius prepares. Silverfox reveals how she faked her death. It's revealed that Silverfox can alter people's willpower. The machine Logan is in will erase his memory.

Hines is in a cell. Stryker leaves her to Creed. Logan starts frying in the chair. Silverfox tries to get Stryker to change his mind. When he won't, she enters the reeducation chamber and uses her powers to get Cornelius to stop the machine. She frees Logan.

Logan and Silverfox show up to save Hines from Creed, and Logan and Creed fight. Hines runs. A team of soldiers arrives, Silverfox uses her powers on them, makes them leave. Logan and Creed smash into the Weapon 11 facility. Stryker activates the clones. Creed is beating Logan until Logan enters berseker rage. He cuts off Creed's head.

The clones are activated. Logan marches into the center of them. Stryker orders the clones to murder him and all mutants. Logan runs from pillar to pillar slicing, and goes into berserker rage, destroying the clones as fast as they come at him.

The cavern begins to collapse. Logan, Silverfox and Stryker escape. The cavern comes down on the Weapon 11 clones.
The Alkali Lake base has been destroyed. Logan and Silverfox are sharing a moment when she is shot by Stryker. Logan moves toward Stryker, who shoots him in the head with an adamantium bullet. He falls. Silverfox reveals that Stryker's son is a mutant, and asks if that's why he hates mutants. She uses her powers to make Stryker throw the gun into the lake and keep walking until his feet start to bleed. When Stryker leaves, Silverfox takes some of her blood and writes something on a piece of paper. She dies.

Logan wakes. He doesn't know who he is. The paper says "You are my Wolverine".

And he leaves the area.

The End.

Did you read it? Liked? Hated it? Could't care less? Would you prefer this one over the new script, or not? What are your opinions about it?

Discuss! :woot:

Last edited:
Holy ****.:wow:

That was a great read!!

I noticed no mention of Gambit or Deadpool though.

"He runs into a wolf and kicks it ass." :grin:

...I think I'm gonna stop coming to these boards now...for real this time... LOL :D

:( I needs me some willpower...

As near as I can tell, here are some of the changes they've made

Instead of beating up a bully, Logan kills his biological father, whom he had just witnessed kill his presumed father. (Who may be Creed's father too since we later see him wearing the coat Thomas Logan was killed in)

Beak is apart of the strike team Stryker puts together.

Stryker doesn't come to Logan in a cabin, but a military prison. He persuades both him and Creed to join at the same time, implying they were friends at the time.. They were put there following an unsuccessful execution for killing their superior in Vietnam.

Logan refuses his old dog tags and gets new ones with Wolverine on them.

Logan apparently kills Agent Zero during his escape.

Wraith owns a boxing gym that the Blob fights at. Logan goes at him in the ring, and apparently looses.

Gambit more or less fills in for Barbarus, only Creed gets involved in their fight at some point. Gambit most likely gets beat down and forced to spill his guts.

Weapon XI appears to be a single man instead of clones.

During his Berzerker rage, Logan ends up freeing a number of restrained mutants, including a young Cyclops.

I think the Benioff script is close to the finalized script in many ways. I think the Vanderbilt script is just a rewrite. Some characters were switched out for others. The minor plots were removed. I see lots of "modified" stuff in Benioff's script that you can find in the trailer.

I'm a big fan of Benioff, and have loved some of David Ayer's movies. I liked the script a lot, and only had a couple of issues with it: bone claws, and the clones at the end. Judging from the trailers and the comments of the crew, I would take a straight adaption of that script over what's coming out in May; despite my love for Deadpool. I would give that script a score of 7.

I hope my favourite line of dialogue from the script is still in the finnished movie:

MUNSON: So if this works, I guess Weapon X won't be walking through any metal detectors.
STRYKER: If this works, General, Weapon X will walk wherever he wants.

Man, that's a good line.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Benioff, and have loved some of David Ayer's movies. I liked the script a lot, and only had a couple of issues with it: bone claws, and the clones at the end. Judging from the trailers and the comments of the crew, I would take a straight adaption of that script over what's coming out in May; despite my love for Deadpool. I would give that script a score of 7.

I hope my favourite line of dialogue from the script is still in the finnished movie:

MUNSON: So if this works, I guess Weapon X won't be walking through any metal detectors.
STRYKER: If this works, General, Weapon X will walk wherever he wants.

Man, that's a good line.

What's wrong with bone claws?

What's wrong with bone claws?
I have an extract saved from the X-MEN 2 novel that's appropriate here:

"On one level they were as much as much a part of him as his natural senses. He accepted their presence wholeheartedly. But on another, they were close to the ultimate violation. Someone had put them inside his body, someone had stripped him of even the pretence of humanity by making him a hybrid cyborg construct. A literal machine."

They piss all that away.

Don't like the clone idea.
It was was a bit fast paced.
Other then that, pretty good.

I think Vanderbilt's script is different from Benniof's script, and they only saved certain elements, like Silverfox, Stryker talking with the general and Wolverine chased down by SUVs (Now, helped by a helicopter :woot:).

"On one level they were as much as much a part of him as his natural senses. He accepted their presence wholeheartedly. But on another, they were close to the ultimate violation. Someone had put them inside his body, someone had stripped him of even the pretence of humanity by making him a hybrid cyborg construct. A literal machine."

They piss all that away.

Plus it doesn't make sense to me that as strong as his healing factor is, it would allow organic growths that do damage to his own body to remain there.

Having healing powers and having someone place something in his body thats harmful makes more sense.

They piss all that away.

While that is a good theme, I think bone claws make sense, and don't damage the character at all. Even with bone claws, he's still been violated against his will by humanity. They cut him open and poured metal into him.

Legion said:
Plus it doesn't make sense to me that as strong as his healing factor is, it would allow organic growths that do damage to his own body to remain there.

Having healing powers and having someone place something in his body thats harmful makes more sense.
I actually think it makes more sense that the claws are natural. It explains why his body has a healing factor. He couldn't use the claws if he couldn't heal rapidly, and his body adapted a healing factor for the purpose of using his claws.

I downloaded the Script and read three scenes (The Beginning, Beak's cameo and Logan VS. Creed: Round One) that I know that we're cut/changed in the movie. Pretty cool. Definetly gory. No wonder Zack Snyder wanted to do it. :hehe:

Last edited:
I gave it a 6. I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I found the entire ending to be really sub par from the clone army to the memory-erasing bullet. It felt more like the script was rushing to get Logan to the situation he needed to be in for the beginning of X1.

I didn't read that part, but I agree in one thing: Sabretooth clones doesn't sound like such a good idea...

From what I read, LOTS has changed but the overall jist and feel of the film I think feels the same. I'm quite happy they added in all the war stuff and are exploring Creed and Logan's relationship a whole lot more in the movie version, it makes their fights and all that more meaningful. I'm glad the clones are gone, but over all I thought it was a really good read. I don't smell disaster or whatever from reading it and as a basis, its a great starting point.

Glad we don't get the millions of clones plot in this one...plus no Barbarus but instead Gambit:up:

I have it, but I never read it. :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"