Animation The Official DCAU Discussion Thread

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
DCAU.jpg

Often considered the best adaption of the DC universe, heck often considered the best version of the DC universe in any medium, it can’t be overstated the immeasurable impact this iteration of the DC universe had. This arguably is the most important adaption of DC comics that’s influence can still be felt today. Without this universe created by Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, and Bruce Timm we never get characters like Harley Quinn, Mercy Graves, Renee Montoya, who’ve gone on to become mainstays in the comics and we don’t get the tragic Mr. Freeze that we all know and love and I’ve only just mentioned the tip of the iceberg. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on the universe, your favorite series, offer praise and constructive criticism of any elements as well as post any news relating to it.

In the latest rounds of DCAU news: The entire Superman The Animated Series lands a Blu-Ray release!

Last edited:
i have a hard time voting between btas or jlu as my favorite show.
btas was the one that started it all and is full of classic episodes - but i think jlu edges it out a bit because of all the dc goodness in it.

there are episodes that highlight specific characters - like the ones centered on the question, are some of my favorites.

also the whole cadmus arc is probably one of my favorite television storylines.

This universe is DC for me. My bro and I read lots of comics growing up, but on the comics side I was always a Marvel guy. Bro read more DC. But these shows were fire and miles better than Marvel's animated output. These are some of my favorite cartoons ever. Batman is obviously the GOAT of it all, but I always found Superman very underrated and JL was my jam.

Love these

I just hated how Superman was portrayed throughout most of his show and JL. He was always shown as a person who take one hit and then he is out for most of the battle. I just think they could've done much better with him. Also think Lana should've been in the show more. But over all I think it was great just hate how they wasted Superman unless he was fighting Darksied.

The BTAS is a classic but the JL stuff is my absolute favourite. Will always go back and rewatch those every so often.

B:TAS and S:TAS were two of my favorite series growing up and continue to inform how I view Batman and Superman to this day. They are the foundation upon which I answer questions like: "What would Superman do?" "Is Batman a crazy person?" "Do either of them go down on women?"

The answer to that last one is, obviously, a big fat NO. Heroes don't do that.

Until recently, this was my favorite screen version of Supes. Looking back, I just wish they’d had more runtime to give Clark more focus, but I realize it was an action program primarily aimed at kids and Superman had to feature most. I do love their portrayal of Clark, though - truly mild-mannered, not bumbling, has an actual sense of humor, and is a driven and competent reporter good enough to be seen as a rival by Lois. I loved how they brought back a dash of that Golden Age flavor the character had lost in previous adaptations over the years.

Until recently, this was my favorite screen version of Supes. Looking back, I just wish they’d had more runtime to give Clark more focus, but I realize it was an action program primarily aimed at kids and Superman had to feature most. I do love their portrayal of Clark, though - truly mild-mannered, not bumbling, has an actual sense of humor, and is a driven and competent reporter good enough to be seen as a rival by Lois. I loved how they brought back a dash of that Golden Age flavor the character had lost in previous adaptations over the years.
We need a live action version of this Clark one day.

Ok with SM:TAS, S&L and Smallville all coming out on blu ray in October… so can just call it Super Month. Yeah I think my wallets gonna want a divorce now.

The DCEU was soooooooo good and the way they built up to things was amazing. It really holds so many great stories that I'd like to see adapted to live action. There's still a lot of stories they could tell within it as well.

Couldnt use Kara Zor-El? Well here's Kara In-Ze!
Can't use the JSA? Well here's the JGA!
Don't want to explore doppelgangers that much? Or cant use Powergirl? Well here's Galatea!

The DCEU was soooooooo good and the way they built up to things was amazing. It really holds so many great stories that I'd like to see adapted to live action. There's still a lot of stories they could tell within it as well.

Couldnt use Kara Zor-El? Well here's Kara In-Ze!
Can't use the JSA? Well here's the JGA!
Don't want to explore doppelgangers that much? Or cant use Powergirl? Well here's Galatea!

Can't use Marvel's classic Defender's team of Dr. Strange, The Silver Surfer, Hulk, Namor, Valkryrie and Nighthawk? Well here's Dr. Fate, Amazo, Solomon Grundy, Aquaman and Hawkgirl!

Bringing this over for anyone who hasnt watched it (do!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"