Homecoming The Official "Don't Panic" Thread

They did not say that Spider-Man would definitely not be a part of the MCU after the sequel.
They said that their contract currently ends after the sequel comes out in 2019 and hinted it's up for renegotiation after that.

You and I must've watched different videos then.

Once Homecoming makes bank, the deal will definitely be extended beyond 2019 and all the posturing will disappear.

Or Sony gets sold off by then and rights revert to Disney. Either way Spider-Man will likely continue to be part of the MCU.

Nothing is likely at this point, we can only speculate.

You and I must've watched different videos then.

Nothing is likely at this point, we can only speculate.
All that was said is that things will have to be renegotiated after SM: H2. Sony would be dumb to not continue working with Marvel after that since they have such a good track record and it's a mutually beneficial partnership.

All that was said is that things will have to be renegotiated after SM: H2. Sony would be dumb to not continue working with Marvel after that since they have such a good track record and it's a mutually beneficial partnership.

That's the thing... Sony is dumb. Sony is very dumb.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I didn't hear anything about renegotiations. I heard her say that they might not partner up after the sequel but from what I remember, Tom was contracted for three solo movies. That's one movie short. This is concerning, but i don't want to jump to conclusions.

but the one who spread that spidey will out of MCU after the contracts up after the sequel is media and i won't trust them too much. Especially scoopers, they done it for clickbait and causing ruckus on the net

As long as the two MCU Spider-Man movies make bank and are well received, then I doubt either side will let this happen unless Sony is seriously stupid. Way too much money to make with Spidey for both sides, especially with how much of a disaster Sony Studios is in.

Okay, I've had some time to process the news regarding Amy Pascal's comments about how the deal between Sony and Marvel "may never happen again--after the sequel", and watched has the whole gosh darn internet blew up over this. And I've finally done an article on this of which the main point is that everyone needs to relax, take a deep breath, and not get too much into hysterics over a single statement from Amy Pascal. Especially since contracts do come up for renegotiation before they expire, and the strength of Spider-Man: Homecoming at the box office is bound to have an influence. Even so, if Marvel and Sony do decide to end their deal, that would indeed be really bad.

Spider-Man Leaves MCU After Homecoming Sequel? Not So Fast

Admittedly mostly bad for Sony. Marvel can do just fine without Spider-man. Sony, OTOH, has a demonstrated track record of being terrible at handling Spidey, ever since they drove Raimi away. And they don't have an abundance of profitable tentpole franchises.

I'd argue that poor track record extends to Raimi himself. He did a decent job with large segments of the first two films, but even those weren't without their flaws.

I like the first Amazing Spider-man as well, but i dont even need to say that is a flawed film as well.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 were the real coffin nails though. They seem to be unable to handle Spidey as a central hero or anything other than a romance.

That's my hope for Homecoming, get us excited about the central hero and the universe. I think there is some hope of that.

Admittedly mostly bad for Sony. Marvel can do just fine without Spider-man. Sony, OTOH, has a demonstrated track record of being terrible at handling Spidey, ever since they drove Raimi away. And they don't have an abundance of profitable tentpole franchises.

Hope fully they can get their s... together for the Resident Evil reboot and Uncharted.

Eh, the first two Raimi films had flaws, but only insofar as *all* movies have flaws. Its not really a fair comparison. The third movie, sure.

That's the thing... Sony is dumb. Sony is very dumb.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I didn't hear anything about renegotiations. I heard her say that they might not partner up after the sequel but from what I remember, Tom was contracted for three solo movies. That's one movie short. This is concerning, but i don't want to jump to conclusions.

That is concerning, and hearing how Sony changed their tune in recent months, it's very concerning.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm assuming the contract Tom signed was with Sony and Marvel, so if Sony was to break the contract, I'm wondering if Holland would be free of it?

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure, but if Homecoming does well, then this may be a moot point, because I'm assuming they'll go for the money.

But like you said, Sony is stupid.

Saw the official homecoming cereal boxes in the supermarket last night... not gonna lie I was a little bit excited (though not quite enough to buy one...the cereal they were paired with was rubbish :( )

No reason to really panic. Marvel has control for a few more Spidey appearances. By the end we'll at least get 5 good appearances for Spidey in the MCU. If Sony decides to be incredibly stupid (which is par for the course) then Marvel will bail on them and wait for the studio to self-destruct.

Does seem like things are going down that road though. With Homecoming on the way Sony looks to be getting cocky and thinking they can leverage their MCU connections to bolster their spinoffs. If they decide to push their luck too far....well that might be it for Marvel and Sony.

I still think Marvel is just waiting to see what Spidey can make in the MCU before giving SONY a huge wad of cash for his rights back.

I still think Marvel is just waiting to see what Spidey can make in the MCU before giving SONY a huge wad of cash for his rights back.

I can't see it, for two reasons.

1. Proving that Spider-man actually is still valuable would be a bad bargaining tactics. If they were going to drop a huge chunk of change getting the rights back fully, they'd want to do so beforehand. Now, if Homecoming makes bank, Sony will demand that much more for it. And its not like Marvel needs evidence that Spider-man is a valuable property.

2. Sony is desperately short on tentpole franchises. Especially if the new movie makes money, they *will not* sell it. Not unless they decide to get out of the movie business entirely, which selling Spider-man would be tantamount to doing.

Hell, Sony is so dumb I could see them telling Marvel to go f*** themselves after Homecoming makes bank and then the next day announce a crossover between Spidey and the Dark Tower universe.

Well now I'm panicking that Sony will do something stupid and pull out of the deal once the 5-6 movies are done. Spidey will be in the MCU for 3-4 years, and that's it.

I have not seen the film, yet.
But given the critical reception and the films box office success, I am not currently panicking.

Well now I'm panicking that Sony will do something stupid and pull out of the deal once the 5-6 movies are done. Spidey will be in the MCU for 3-4 years, and that's it.

Still a very real concern. Lets's hope that Sony just stays focused on those dollar signs and lets Marvel handle the details.

Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal on ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, the Sequel, and the Marvel/Sony Deal
Plus, what would have happened if Robert Downey Jr. had said no, and how Vulture was always planned as the antagonist.
STEVE 'FROSTY' WEINTRAUB said:
Collider: So I’ll start with the big question is, what if Robert Downey Jr. had said no?

AMY PASCAL: That would have been bad.

KEVIN FEIGE: We always have a plan.

PASCAL: Yes.

FEIGE: We always have a plan when we…

PASCAL: It wouldn’t have been as good a plan.

Now Spidey has been strongly established as part of the MCU, it feels like taking him out of it again would just confuse and/or annoy audiences.

Surely the long term plan is to see Spidey grow from Stark's rookie trainee into a fully-fledged leading superhero? So that story arc is dependent on Spidey being in the MCU to compare to the other superheroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"