The Official Euro 2008 Thread

Today's game between France and Romania gave me hope that there is still chance for Italy but they have to make some changes. They played slightly better in the second half but still not a good enough match for the Dutch. First time they've beaten the Azzuri in 30 years! Wow!! :wow: I really applaud them.

Yeah... the Dutch win was all the group of guys that I play football with (soccer to the Yanks) could talk about when we played tonight...

(We play indoors in a dome... small pitch, 6 on 6... smaller nets, we lost 11-8)

:yay:

Holland played incredibly while France played like ****. Based on last night, France does not have a chance on Friday. But as many know, one match does not resemble another and france can play better. So I am hoping if they can raise their level especially if Henry and Viera come back in the game then we have a real chance. First, France needs to defeat Holland.

Holland played a DAMN GOOD game last night against Italy. 3-0, holy ****. Still cant believe it.

The first goal scored by Van Nistelrooy was NOT offside. An Italian Player got knocked behind the goal ... but he was NOT injured thus preventing Holland from running in an offside trap.

Bring on next Friday I say. France will be a tough nut to crack. With players like Ribbery, Henry and Viera it'll be tough for our defense to handle. If Holland is in the same shape as they were against Italy, its gonna be one HELL of a game :)

anybody know if Rob van Persie was playing yesterday ?

oh ok thanks

My gf is from Holland and I had to suffer watching her jump up and down in joy. Plus I have a bet with her regarding the upcoming france - Holland match so I can tell you I was not happy with what I saw last night.

Netherlands - France will be a whole different game. France likes to counter when Holland aint paying attention. If the same 11 players are on the field it could be one awesome match.

Jumping up and down eh? I love the Internet, my voice is totally gone... my muscles hurt and I did not know, untill now, how much fluid a person can lose by sweating :p

just seen spain play, so now i have seen all the favourites in action. i am a bit late in joining the thread, my pick was always holland, and i feel the dutch have justified my decision. was a bit worried that they may not get through the g.o.d but france looked rubbish, they have beaten italy, i think romania will give them problems. portugal and turkey from group one, germany croatia in two, holland romania in three and spain sweden in four. quarters i have portugal over croation, germany over turkey, holland over sweden, spain over romania. then germany to beat portugal and the dutch to over come the spanish in a high scoring game. the germans will lose out to the dutch, with spain taking 3rd place (if they have a 3rd/4th place playoff) like i said earlier france have looked rubbish, germany have looked solid, spain good on the attack but suspect defence, portugal have no cutting edge and will be foundout against a good defense and the dutch looked awesome. italians might as well bag there bags and pension off there squad:grin: and start rebuilding.

Spain were awesome, great pace, technique and movement all over the field.
They have a great holding player in Senna that they need due to the center backs not being so great, but beyond him they have so many options going forward. Ramos raiding down the right is fantastic and of course they have the lethal strike duo, great hat trick from Villa who was outstanding all match, they have the team to go all the way if they can stay mentally strong.

Wow Spain was taking names all over the pitch.

crap I cant believe I missed the spain game, I thought it was the 2nd game.

i've gave up on the tournament already

*warning rant coming*

the uk based radio station talk sport have come up with the idea that if england had beat russia they would have qualified, therefore england should be playing in russias place, so after the russia vs spain game was completed tonight, they did a full commentary of what they believe would have been the match of england vs spain. and have now annouced that they will do this will all of russias opponents, untill russia(england) go out. the result was 1-1 with a 16th pentaly for owen, then a torres equaliser but in the last few minutes a Spanish strike was cleared off the line by ferdinand with a hand ball, which is revenge for the hand of god :rolleyes:

i mean come on for gods sake are people that bloody sad, you didn't qualify england, neither did scotland, northern ireland, rep of ireland or wales, get up get on with it and work out a way you can be better for the next major tournament, but to do this and other stuff(yesterday they had people text in the headlines if england had been there) is simply pathetic

thankfully the majority of english posters on here have more sense

i've gave up on the tournament already

*warning rant coming*

the uk based radio station talk sport have come up with the idea that if england had beat russia they would have qualified, therefore england should be playing in russias place, so after the russia vs spain game was completed tonight, they did a full commentary of what they believe would have been the match of england vs spain. and have now annouced that they will do this will all of russias opponents, untill russia(england) go out. the result was 1-1 with a 16th pentaly for owen, then a torres equaliser but in the last few minutes a Spanish strike was cleared off the line by ferdinand with a hand ball, which is revenge for the hand of god :rolleyes:

i mean come on for gods sake are people that bloody sad, you didn't qualify england, neither did scotland, northern ireland, rep of ireland or wales, get up get on with it and work out a way you can be better for the next major tournament, but to do this and other stuff(yesterday they had people text in the headlines if england had been there) is simply pathetic

thankfully the majority of english posters on here have more sense
Talk sport is like that, I mean every day they say something controversial soley to get callers, and people eat it up. Its just a wind up merchant station. Its only good to listen to if youtake everything they say with a bag of salt.

Talk sport is like that, I mean every day they say something controversial soley to get callers, and people eat it up. Its just a wind up merchant station. Its only good to listen to if youtake everything they say with a bag of salt.

thats the sad thing they used to be a great station to listen to, but again anyone who sacks james whale but keep geroge galloway and Jon Gaunt really don't know what there doing

I can't believe some of the comments on itv's coverage of the Greece Sweden game here in England. The last thing the presenter said as the show was closing was "unlike 4 years ago this year the cup will be won with class and flair". I mean I may be biased because I'm Greek myself but there is no need for that. I bet they would'nt mind winning the euro. Also the level of punditry has rally gone downhill, at one point Harry Redknapp put David James in the same league as Petr Cech, Van Der Sar etc.:down:down:down

Good win for Sweden, the second goal was comical but the first was a cracker. :up:

didnt realise that ibrahimovic hadnt score for over two years for sweden, but what a goal.

Wow. Turkey! I can't believe it. That was an awesome game.

France and Romania were pitiful today, Italy's second half showing should show Donnadoni the changes he needs to make. The Dutch have such a breadth of talent, Sneider and Van Der Vaart in the midfield are both superb, Kuyt works really hard and then Ruud is the goals, plus they have the giant figure of Engelar in the holding role.
Italy did play better in the second half but they're still no match for the young and vibrant and talented Dutch side. Watching them play makes me love the game of football even more. If only the Italians had played better, it would have been one hell of a match.
Yeah... the Dutch win was all the group of guys that I play football with (soccer to the Yanks) could talk about when we played tonight...

(We play indoors in a dome... small pitch, 6 on 6... smaller nets, we lost 11-8)

:yay:
Sorry you lost but I am sure you had a blast. I wish there's some place here that I can play indoor football with my friends since the weather stinks almost daily.
Holland played incredibly while France played like ****. Based on last night, France does not have a chance on Friday. But as many know, one match does not resemble another and france can play better. So I am hoping if they can raise their level especially if Henry and Viera come back in the game then we have a real chance. First, France needs to defeat Holland.
France didn't play well at all but like you said, "one match does not resemble another". I am sure they'll learn from their mistakes and make some changes for their game against the Dutch. Will Henry and Viera play in their next game?
just seen spain play, so now i have seen all the favourites in action. i am a bit late in joining the thread, my pick was always holland, and i feel the dutch have justified my decision. was a bit worried that they may not get through the g.o.d but france looked rubbish, they have beaten italy, i think romania will give them problems. portugal and turkey from group one, germany croatia in two, holland romania in three and spain sweden in four. quarters i have portugal over croation, germany over turkey, holland over sweden, spain over romania. then germany to beat portugal and the dutch to over come the spanish in a high scoring game. the germans will lose out to the dutch, with spain taking 3rd place (if they have a 3rd/4th place playoff) like i said earlier france have looked rubbish, germany have looked solid, spain good on the attack but suspect defence, portugal have no cutting edge and will be foundout against a good defense and the dutch looked awesome. italians might as well bag there bags and pension off there squad:grin: and start rebuilding.
Spain was awesome! The best teams so far, imo, are Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Portugal. Portugal won big today but I didn't think that the score reflected too well on the Czech's performance. I thought they played better than their first game but still not good enough to defeat the Portugese. Looks like Switzerland is out after today's loss to the Turks.

I agree about the part where the Italians need to start rebuilding but... :mad: on the part about packing the bags. :down: :(

so when all the teams win, they get points...so how does this determine the next batch of games?? new to this whole thing

so when all the teams win, they get points...so how does this determine the next batch of games?? new to this whole thing
Winning team gets 3 points, a draw gets 1 point for each team and a loss, as expected, gets no points. At the end of first round, the top two teams from each group will advance to the next round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"