The Official Hype Martial Arts Thread

To anyone taking martial arts; always spar with people that kick your ass/give you a hard time. Even though it sucks, and you feel like a rag doll, you are learning way more than sparring with people who are equally or less than skillful than you are.

It's one of the biggest things i've learned from all my years doing BJJ.

Agreed. One of my main sparring partners started about a year before me, and gives me a tough time. When I sparred with a couple of black belts it was a world of difference. They spot your mistakes before you even know you made them. I improved a lot sparring with them. I love it.

I was going on a run of doing well in BJJ sparring (I'm outright rubbish at Judo sparring) but today got murdered by a guy who was way ahead of me. It's good to get that level of competition although I felt at my beginner level that I also learned a bit from the other easier matches as I got a chance to put some of the techniques I learnt into action (while it was just all out defence against this guy as all my early sessions had been after first starting).

PuPKV9j.jpg

Awesome class today. Good workout, worked on my forms (Ananku), and sparring. Also went over our arm bar series.

O'Sensei is coming down to our school to visit, and watch the kids test. Hope he teaches a class while he's here.

Last edited:
Awesome class today. Good workout, worked on my forms (Ananku), and sparring. Also went over our arm bar series.

O'Sensei is coming down to our school to visit, and watch the kids test. Hope he teaches a class while he's here.

Nice one :up:

How often does he come?

I've had to take a break from my weekday classes as the UK clocks change at a different time to the US ones which affects the time of day I have to arrive at work (essentially have to be at work during the times of the classes) but that will be back to normal from Monday. Feels like it's been an eternity (will only have actually been 2 weeks lol).

Anyone here have an opinion on Iron Fist?

I haven't watched it yet, but if my facebook feed is any indication, it wasn't too well thought of.

Yeah that's put me off watching it straight away a bit but I will be watching at some point soon.

As a Shuri Ryu student, we recite this at the end of every class

I shall conduct myself in a manner which will reflect credit upon myself and society.

I shall be loyal to my school and the art that it teaches.

I shall be honest and exercise integrity with the purpose of developing cooperation and trust with my fellow Karate-ka and my teachers.

I shall exercise restraint in use of my karate knowledge employing it only in fair competition or in defense of my life, my family, or my country.

Now technically what I do is Shuri Goju Ryu a hybrid of the two. Still we end the class the same way.

Good. I hope every martial art has a similar lesson.

Iceman are you still training? Krypton done any FMA lately?

Best Tae Kwon Do scenes. I posted a karate one earlier in the thread.

[Yt]gTG-vW_ClEk[/Yt]

I did tkd as a kid for a couple of months, but parents got divorced so couldn't stick with it. I tried a few schools as an adult, one of which I really liked, just ended up liking the karate school more. Plus it has better price and class times for me which was just another plus.

Last edited:
I will get it started...

I was a Filipino martial artist though I have studied JKD Concepts and Jun Fan Kickboxing, some integrated grappling and some Brazilian Jujitsu, as well as some fencing concepts my father taught me. I trained Inosanto-Lacoste Kali Silat with some Lameco thrown in and went very hard into the Dog Brothers' method of Real Contact stick fighting training, fighting at two Gatherings Of The Pack. For those that don't know, FMA or Filipino Martial Arts are a widely eclectic mix of styles and systems from the Philippines that include a lot of weapons training which in turn inform the empty hand techniques and approaches. You will find many different names for the arts as there are quite a few dialects spoken in the arts' home country. FMA is itself a mixture of a few influences from outside the Philippines, including Western Fencing and Boxing brought there by the Spaniards and the Americans respectively.

For myself, I think a big part of why the art when taught right is so effective is that there are still men who used these methods on a real battlefield alive today. Filipino fighters used their arts in the jungle combat against the Japanese occupation during WWII. As such those men went on to teach others after the war. Unlike many other styles the FMA practitioner is taught in a system that has men alive who guided it's evolution that know real combat. No offense to other systems but I think that is important.

The various styles and systems usually start off with weapon work. The training tool/weapon is usually a rattan stick, with lengths varying. The methods learned are two fold. You learn indeed how to use a blunt impact weapon but it's important to note that most of those same techniques are also used for bladed weapons/Swords. Double weapons like double stick and unmatched weapons like sword and dagger/knife are included as well. In fact it is my opinion that stick/sword and dagger should probably be taught first, despite the difficulty in coordinating "long and short" that puts most people off learning it. Instructors in bringing the arts to the masses in the States adapted the traditional training methods for a new group, usually going single stick/single knife, to double stick to stick and knife and then stick and dagger, but even the most famous FMA teacher alive, Dan Inosanto has talked about that perhaps being a mistake as the coordination built with Stick and dagger is a big part of making the other aspects like double stick and the empty hands component work.

I have found that the method of working weapons first really helps to super charge the empty hands but also allows one to, hopefully, adapt any weapon to one's own use, even improvised ones. Also learning how to use weapons, especially the knife as it is so common, helps you to develop the reactions and tactics necessary to face one yourself if you are unarmed in a violent encounter.

If you are a student of another art I can give FMA no better endorsement than to say that it will compliment any method you are currently studying very well, especially if the art you are doing does not have a weapon component. Let's just say I think someone that has been training in Judo or BJJ and has some FMA in his arsenal has got a lot of bases covered in case of a street fight.

FMA is also an art that can be trained "Hard/External" or "Soft/Internal". Practice it hard core to develop the strong and brutal aspects, and practice it slow to see the way the movements bring harmony to the body and mind.

I recommend as always to check the art out for yourself in person. But if you find a school you like with a system that interests you I think you will find something practical and enriching.

Who did you train with in the Dog Brothers? I train under Arlan Sanford. (Salty Dog, one of the founders)

Who did you train with in the Dog Brothers? I train under Arlan Sanford. (Salty Dog, one of the founders)

When I was a lad back in the early 2000's I did seminar and privates with Crafty before unfortunately a gas leak in my apartment put the kibosh on my hardcore training. I think it was the 2002 or 2003 three day camp in L.A. where I met Salty. Loved the Krabi stuff he taught there. If you were present this was the camp where Dr. Gyi taught his Dhanda staff yoga. Love the tapes where you see Salty's students use the Krabi strikes in matches. I actually prefer the Krabi length stick myself but I tend to not choke up on the stick quite so high. I can move it pretty good at that length. Used to give me a bit more reach.

When I was a lad back in the early 2000's I did seminar and privates with Crafty before unfortunately a gas leak in my apartment put the kibosh on my hardcore training. I think it was the 2002 or 2003 three day camp in L.A. where I met Salty. Loved the Krabi stuff he taught there. If you were present this was the camp where Dr. Gyi taught his Dhanda staff yoga. Love the tapes where you see Salty's students use the Krabi strikes in matches. I actually prefer the Krabi length stick myself but I tend to not choke up on the stick quite so high. I can move it pretty good at that length. Used to give me a bit more reach.

That was unfortunately way before I met him. I wish I'd been training that long lol.

I started martial arts in 2008. Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, mma (so incorporating wrestling and judo, but very informally).
My coach was Arlan's first student so I always heard the stories. I didn't actually start training sticks until about 3 years ago or so. And I've been super lax in the last year or so.

As a jiu jitsu brown belt, the little bit of jiu jitsu she did in the cage fights was easily the worst jiu jitsu I've ever seen on film. 😂

If you click my sig you will be taken to my podcast. We did a review on Iron Fist so check it out if you are interested.

Look... It's a fantasy show. I get having wire fu or unlikely outcomes. But the way they presented those Wing fights in the cage was... Yeah it was a bit much. It would have been better if they had shown her being just a savagely dirty fighter rather than the nonsense of having her seem like she's laying heavy blows that effect dudes that outweigh her by over 200 pounds. They also were just all over the map, like a lot of entertainment, when it comes to being precise about martial arts in general. In the comics Wing was trained in the Samurai arts, which traditionally is a different system than Judo or Karate. There really aren't any belts. She should have been teaching things like Kendo, Kenjutsu, Jujutsu, Atemi, Aki-justu or some kind of combat Akido. But as I said it was really just a hodge podge. Which... Is more about dudes like you and I having pet peeves than the shows and films screwing this up because let's face it, most of the audience don't have an eye for this stuff. They hear "martial arts" and at best they can maybe recall that Karate is Okinawan and Kung Fu styles are Chinese and that's it. Still... I wish a show like Iron Fist had taken the time to go the extra mile and make exploring the richness of martial arts and the different schools and cultures part of the story. C'este la vie I suppose.

That was unfortunately way before I met him. I wish I'd been training that long lol.

I started martial arts in 2008. Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, mma (so incorporating wrestling and judo, but very informally).
My coach was Arlan's first student so I always heard the stories. I didn't actually start training sticks until about 3 years ago or so. And I've been super lax in the last year or so.

Gonna give a little insight into this and maybe you'll think I am ********ting you but... Train hardcore double stick and stick and dagger, but make sure the "dagger" you use is more like a really long pig sticker or a short sword. Those two categories will help with both the single stick and the empty hands greatly. The level of coordination they build (and ambidexterity cuz of course you are training both your dominant and less dominant side... RIGHT? :sly:) will get kinda super charged if you really drill hard and get into a groove. When you put the sticks down your hands will be a lot more coordinated so empty hands are improved and the double and stick and dagger helps the single stick because your off hand is used to being involved. When you look at the better single stick matches notice that the off hand always gets involved. Sure, you may not quite pull off the hand checks you see in sombrada ect. but when the other hand is active and is in the mix of your movements you are more likely to respond with anything from a simple punch to a successful disarm to being able to put up a barrier to that charge. In a street situation that off hand can block or cover or poke out a guys eye.

Ambidexterity and the offhand. I can never stress that enough. That's what Double stick and stick and dagger when you REALLY get them can do for you.

Gonna give a little insight into this and maybe you'll think I am ********ting you but... Train hardcore double stick and stick and dagger, but make sure the "dagger" you use is more like a really long pig sticker or a short sword. Those two categories will help with both the single stick and the empty hands greatly. The level of coordination they build (and ambidexterity cuz of course you are training both your dominant and less dominant side... RIGHT? :sly:) will get kinda super charged if you really drill hard and get into a groove. When you put the sticks down your hands will be a lot more coordinated so empty hands are improved and the double and stick and dagger helps the single stick because your off hand is used to being involved. When you look at the better single stick matches notice that the off hand always gets involved. Sure, you may not quite pull off the hand checks you see in sombrada ect. but when the other hand is active and is in the mix of your movements you are more likely to respond with anything from a simple punch to a successful disarm to being able to put up a barrier to that charge. In a street situation that off hand can block or cover or poke out a guys eye.

Ambidexterity and the offhand. I can never stress that enough. That's what Double stick and stick and dagger when you REALLY get them can do for you.

Oh yeah, I insist on using double sticks haha. I'm like, "why would I only want one stick when I can have two???"
Arlan always says, "It's mind blowing the different fighter you are when you have one stick compared to two. It's like a completely different person. With one stick, you're ok but kind of stiff. Once you get a second stick, you flow beautifully and move like a pro."

Oh yeah, I insist on using double sticks haha. I'm like, "why would I only want one stick when I can have two???"
Arlan always says, "It's mind blowing the different fighter you are when you have one stick compared to two. It's like a completely different person. With one stick, you're ok but kind of stiff. Once you get a second stick, you flow beautifully and move like a pro."

Well put. You see a lot of people that when they start their offhand is just hanging at their side like a dead fish and even after years they can't quite get that offhand into the mix. The better fighters I have seen always have a good offhand and when they have that, they are also more than effective with double weapons as well. Of course all that takes a certain amount of flight time dedicated to building that aspect up to the point you feel confident enough to use it.

Well put. You see a lot of people that when they start their offhand is just hanging at their side like a dead fish and even after years they can't quite get that offhand into the mix. The better fighters I have seen always have a good offhand and when they have that, they are also more than effective with double weapons as well. Of course all that takes a certain amount of flight time dedicated to building that aspect up to the point you feel confident enough to use it.

Well I also had the habit from kickboxing to have my offhand up protecting my face and ready to throw a jab. One hit from their stick to my hand let me know I didn't want to do that. But also, just the simple math of two sticks is better than one. It just doesn't make sense to be empty handed.

Iceman are you still training? Krypton done any FMA lately?

Best Tae Kwon Do scenes. I posted a karate one earlier in the thread.

[Yt]gTG-vW_ClEk[/Yt]

I did tkd as a kid for a couple of months, but parents got divorced so couldn't stick with it. I tried a few schools as an adult, one of which I really liked, just ended up liking the karate school more. Plus it has better price and class times for me which was just another plus.

Nice compilation :up:

I lost my sub for this thread somehow.

I'm doing BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing on weekdays (all part of the same gym - can attend any classes from those) and on Saturdays Judo and Karate. Was planning to do others on Sundays but it's not looking realistic with a full time job as that's my one day to recover! Plus difficult juggling class times for everything that suits me. Have dropped all other plans for now. I really want to do Kung Fu and Taekwondo though at some point.

Nice compilation :up:

I lost my sub for this thread somehow.

I'm doing BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing on weekdays (all part of the same gym - can attend any classes from those) and on Saturdays Judo and Karate. Was planning to do others on Sundays but it's not looking realistic with a full time job as that's my one day to recover! Plus difficult juggling class times for everything that suits me. Have dropped all other plans for now. I really want to do Kung Fu and Taekwondo though at some point.

Where do you train?

After a three year hiatus, I'm very excited to finally start traditional Shotokan Karate in the oldest and best Dojo from my city. I come from a Kung Fu back ground ( I have studied Norther Shaolin[Bak Siu Lam Mun], a bit of Hung Ga, and some Wing Chun lineages) and I always wanted to study Japanese martial arts, specially Karate-Do, in a traditional environment, where every aspect (Kata, Kihon, Bunkai and Kumite) will be properly taught.

It's nice to share my enthusiasm here! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"