The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Someone here brought up the actor who played Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter films. At first I was like 'eh?' and then the more I thought of it, the more clever of an idea it is.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as he can do a good American accent.

I think the only trouble would be people only seeing Ron and not Jimmy.

I've got Wild Target on my Netflix queue, mostly because I'd like to see Grint outside of Hogwart's.

Grint's face is way too recognizable in that sense. A new haircut and a change in body type and clothes might do it.

I am going to get flame for this but whatever. Tom Sturridge and Chris Colfer.

I am going to get flame for this but whatever. Tom Sturridge and Chris Colfer.
welcome to the hype!

no to Tom Sturridge...he just doesn't look the part.

Chris Colfer on the other hand, probably looks the most like Jimmy out of everyone mentioned (in my opinion) but him being gay might be a deal breaker for me. i could care less that he's gay, and if he can act straight then i'd love to see him in the role...but he is openly gay and has a pretty feminine voice to boot. i wouldn't mind seeing him as Jimmy if he can straighten up a tad though (pun intended, hehe).

Personally, I'd have no problem with a gay Jimmy Olsen. It doesn't really alter the character that much. If Chris Colfer ended up being the strongest candidate, I don't think he'd need to "straighten up" to play the part.

I'm really rooting for Paul Dano, at this point.

As well as being too old (at 26, he's just a year younger than Henry Cavill), Paul Dano's probably overqualified. Isn't he an Oscar nominee?

Yeah, that's my issue with Paul Dano. I honestly think he's too good for a part like this. Although there are most definitely those up-effects from a big tentpole like this, i.e. the money and exposure.

As for the "gay" Jimmy Olsen discussion, gotta be honest. I always interpreted Huntington's version as gay. Seriously.

my problem with Paul Dano isn't his age or his over qualification (they DID get Morgan Freeman for Lucius Fox)...but he is exactly Cavill's height. Jimmy shouldn't be anywhere near as tall as Superman...

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I think Ben Foster would make an awesome Jimmy Olsen.

Ben_Foster_LF.jpg

As improbable as he may be, I would love it if they got Yelchin. I think he'd make the perfect Jimmy. Also, I wouldn't mind it if Jimmy found out Clark and Superman were one and the same in the second film, but that he actually knew they were all along.

yelchin.jpg

I think Yelchin solves the age issue in contrast to Cavill's age considering he looks 13 with the right look. :p
He played 17 in STAR TREK.

A better Jimmy-like pic...
anton_yelchin.jpg

I doubt Joseph Gordon Levitt would do such a small role considering his recent body of work.
Also, Then you've got Jimmy Olsen who's more recognized by the mainstream audience than the guy playing Superman himself.

I don't think it would be a waste of talent at all actually to hire JGL or Yelchin as Jimmy Olsen.

Getting a solid supporting cast and ensemble would be a plus for the Superman film.

JGL would probably add some much needed umph to the Olsen role, and I have no doubt he would be the best Jimmy Olsen we would have seen onscreen ever!

Imagine Anne Hathaway as Lois Lane, Gordon-Levitt as Jimmy Olsen and Armie Hammer as Clark Kent/Superman?

Kick ass and FTW!

Having an actor who is more recognizable to the audience and is bigger in terms of fame and talent to the title character himself, play a supporting role that is really as C. Lee said, thankless... would be a total waste.
It also runs the risk of overshadowing Cavill by having him share screen space with an actor more accomplished than him at the moment, when this Superman film will become his claim to fame.

I agree that JGL would make an awesome Jimmy just because he's an awesome actor, but he's too good to play such a small and overall insignificant role when in comparison to the iconic Superman.

Jimmy should basically be the ideal Mac Store employee. Young, hip, tech savvy, a little bit nerdy and almost too friendly. Think Hurley from Lost, Glenn from The Walking Dead or Justin Bartha in National Treasure. I almost want a scene with Perry White yelling at him to take his earbuds out.

I loved how Jimmy was potrayed in SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE.
Crashing the Planet server by uploading huge MB files for better resolution in print.

I also loved that he was ballsy and just as much (maybe more so) wreckless and courageous than Lois even.

**SPOILER**

In SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, he was even the one whose courage to stand up against injustice and for the right thing, inspired Clark Kent to do the same.

NO TO GORDON LEVITT. This is coming from a fan of his.

Let me tell you why: It would be a waste for a guy who becoming such a big star, only to have a bit part in a movie like Superman. WASTE of talent.

Heck, I think he can play a superhero himself one day, so no to Joe.

He was my choice for The Riddler during the rumour flinging before TDKR casting was finalized.

I'm liking Anton Yelchin.

He's three years older than Cavill. :dry:

He's an awesome underrated actor though.

And as intense as he is, he can do the dopey younger look too...
And I'd rather a character act emotionally immature when compared to Clark and Lois, than actually be physically younger looking.
Plus if they go with a more confident and wreckless Olsen, he'd be perfect.

Yelchin is the right age to portray a you m'am eager to prove himself as a photojournalist at 22. Also, he's only 5'9", so no issues with him looking too tall next to Cavill.

I think Yelchin solves the age issue in contrast to Cavill's age considering he looks 13 with the right look. :p
He played 17 in STAR TREK.

A better Jimmy-like pic...
anton_yelchin.jpg

The reason I posted the picture I did is because it's recent. The one you supplied makes him look even younger than Nevis because, well, it's dated.

Yelchin is booked for Star Trek 2, and since both that and TMOS are lensing this summer don't see that one happening.

How about Freddie Highmore from (Finding Neverland/ August Rush/ Charlie & The Chocolate Factory/ The Spiderwick Chronicles)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"