The Official Patty Jenkins IS the director of Wonder Woman!

It would seem strange that they would not use their own facility like they did with The Man from UNCLE if they do shoot in the UK.

WB still uses Shepperton sometimes when they have production overflow. Whether that message is being interpreted correctly that Wonder Woman is booked to shoot there remains to be seen, though.

That's not competition imo

May not be legit competition but still other films that can take some of the attention and box office away from WW.

The weekend after Pac Rim 2 would be a great release date for WW. Much better than the overcrowded middle of June date.

I hope release date for Wonder Woman moves, as a spring date is more suitable.

As a Wonder Woman fan, I want this to be a great film, as the most iconic female superhero deserves it.

I was listening to a podcast interview with Patty Jenkins on Jay Mohr's podcast from 2013 (Mohr Stories #194 on iTunes) and she talked about some interesting things regarding big action movies and Thor 2:

-She agreed to do Thor 2 because she had a very specific idea about it, she wanted to make a 'Romeo and Juliet' type of story that was very different from the first movie. She went to them with the idea. Kevin Feige and Marvel were interested and supportive but after 3 months of trying to hash out a script, it wasn't working and there was pressure on Marvel who had a lot of their movies going on so they went with their initial idea, which Patty wasn't interested in directing. She didn't necessarily think she was right for it unless she could do her specific version.

-She was surprised that she became such a hot topic among comic book fans during Thor 2 , that she was trending on Twitter. She didn't anticipate how big of a deal was made of her being a female director for a huge comic book movie, from both fans and Hollywood agents etc. She was intrigued by all the different versions of what happened that were printed- she mentions that Natalie Portman was not "furious" at her "firing", that the stories got too dramatic. That everyone tried their best and it just didn't work out.

-She is not necessarily just "Joe Action", she doesn't want to get her foot in the door just to do action movies, there has to be a reason to make such a movie. It has to be a work of passion, a movie she believes in, not a strategic move. She did stress that she loves some of those big movies like Spider-Man 1 and 2 (Raimi) and Superman 1- those movies were huge defining experiences for her, when they have great stories or great love stories...and that's why she got involved with Thor 2 in the first place. She said she still hoped to do one of those movies one day.

I was listening to a podcast interview with Patty Jenkins on Jay Mohr's podcast from 2013 (Mohr Stories #194 on iTunes) and she talked about some interesting things regarding big action movies and Thor 2:

-She agreed to do Thor 2 because she had a very specific idea about it, she wanted to make a 'Romeo and Juliet' type of story that was very different from the first movie. She went to them with the idea. Kevin Feige and Marvel were interested and supportive but after 3 months of trying to hash out a script, it wasn't working and there was pressure on Marvel who had a lot of their movies going on so they went with their initial idea, which Patty wasn't interested in directing. She didn't necessarily think she was right for it unless she could do her specific version.

-She was surprised that she became such a hot topic among comic book fans during Thor 2 , that she was trending on Twitter. She didn't anticipate how big of a deal was made of her being a female director for a huge comic book movie, from both fans and Hollywood agents etc. She was intrigued by all the different versions of what happened that were printed- she mentions that Natalie Portman was not "furious" at her "firing", that the stories got too dramatic. That everyone tried their best and it just didn't work out.

-She is not necessarily just "Joe Action", she doesn't want to get her foot in the door just to do action movies, there has to be a reason to make such a movie. It has to be a work of passion, a movie she believes in, not a strategic move. She did stress that she loves some of those big movies like Spider-Man 1 and 2 (Raimi) and Superman 1- those movies were huge defining experiences for her, when they have great stories or great love stories...and that's why she got involved with Thor 2 in the first place. She said she still hoped to do one of those movies one day.

If and when WW releases, this would make a great "coming full circle" story!

Here is a short clip of a pilot that Patty Jenkins shot called Exposed, the DP on the project posted it on Vimeo four months ago. It appears that the pilot was never picked up, so it never aired.

https://vimeo.com/132359226

PS: I'd like to apologize in advance if I violated any forum rules.

Interesting to hear that she wanted to do a "Romeo and Juliet" story with Thor 2 and also the mention of Spider-Man 1 and 2 that are definitely stories with a great sense of romance.

Maybe she wants to do the same with Diana and Steve :)

Maybe she does. I definitely can't wait to hear from her, I know it's going to be a long time until she can discuss the movie though.

Here is a short clip of a pilot that Patty Jenkins shot called Exposed, the DP on the project posted it on Vimeo four months ago. It appears that the pilot was never picked up, so it never aired.

https://vimeo.com/132359226

PS: I'd like to apologize in advance if I violated any forum rules.

Hey thanks for this. I've been watching some more of Jenkins' work. I watched "The Killing" pilot which was excellent. I saw a couple of episodes of "Entourage" which were fun, for what they were. I also saw "Betrayal", which was just okay to me (the story wasn't that new.)

On Jay Mohr's podcast, Jay and Patty talked about how just directing pilots can be enticing because of schedules (because she has a son) and not dealing with all the difficulties of making a big movie. But I'm glad she is making another movie.

This is interesting, and I've never heard about the Thor 2 breakup from Jenkins' perspective before. I'd like to think she signed on for WW because WB was willing to let her go that direction or she loved the story they wanted to do.

I am hoping that is not just boiler plate spin on Johns or Jenkins' part. It makes sense though. To bring WW to life today means putting in the same hustle and sweat Donner did back in the day. Patty knows what's riding on this even beyond her own career. Lots of people, and let's be clear LOTS OF WOMEN, young and old want this to be a success. I hope for the best from her and wish her all the luck.

Give the situation in BVS where WB backpeddled on the promise of a 3 hr BVS for Snyder. And also how they back peddled on the tone Ayer originally was promised.

I hope that Jenkins gets to make whatever movie she got promised to make by WB. Even if it's well intentioned trying to change a movie to much in post is what gave us the wonky plot/editing we saw in BVS/SS.

Lots of people, and let's be clear LOTS OF WOMEN, young and old want this to be a success. I hope for the best from her and wish her all the luck.

Agreed, WW can't be a "oh the critics hate it but at least its fun" type of deal like Suicide Squad, the WW character has such an important place in historic literature, they really need this film to be right and for crowds and critics to praise it.

The character deserves respect, and if they screw up the movie it will be hugely disappointing for more than just comic fans.

Jenkins is the most promising as a director out of the 3 people we've had so far in the DCU [Snyder, Ayer, ect], so hopefully with her direction skills and Gals dedication to the role they can create something worthy of the source material that the world will fall in love with.

At this point, Let's not underestimate Critics' capacity to hate a DC movie, just saying.

Patty Jenkins ‏@PattyJenks Nov 5
Patty Jenkins Retweeted Followingthenerd
The idea of our movie entering the lives and hearts of kids the way Donner's Superman did for me, at that age, touches me to the core.

I'm loving that some of Jenkins' inspirations are Donner and Raimi. I like her vibe in general. She sounds like the type of person that should be directing a character like WW. :up:

Props to DC/WB for allowing a female director to fully direct a film.

lol

As if Snyder didn't shoot the actions scenes, his fingerprints are all over those trailers... I'm glad they hired a female director but the reason behind it was, first and foremost, to cover their arses lets not kid ourselves. Wonder Woman was also written by men

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"