The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

Can I just say how much I love Superman? And right now with PKJ and Williamson on the main titles, Waid writing World’s Finest and a sequel to Birthright, Christopher Priest doing Superman Lost and Superman and Lois firing on all cylinders, it is a great time to be a Superman fan!

Now if only we could get Tomasi and King working on something Superman related.

Can I just say how much I love Superman? And right now with PKJ and Williamson on the main titles, Waid writing World’s Finest and a sequel to Birthright, Christopher Priest doing Superman Lost and Superman and Lois firing on all cylinders, it is a great time to be a Superman fan!

Amen! Supes comics have been great lately. Superman: Space Age has been another delight. Have you read Superman: Lost, yet? I haven't heard any buzz on it and almost forgot it was coming out tbh.

Amen! Supes comics have been great lately. Superman: Space Age has been another delight. Have you read Superman: Lost, yet? I haven't heard any buzz on it and almost forgot it was coming out tbh.
I read the first issue on DC Ultra. It’s Christopher Priest, so it is a slow burn and the first issue is mostly setup, but it’s an interesting concept and it really sets a mood. I’m definitely in for it and want to see where it is going.
My only knock is that I’m not enamored with the art.

Absolutely.
Its insane how good things are for Superman.
Im so glad he and the Superfamily gets all this good stuff, its long overdue.

Superman: Lost i wait for a few issues in to read it all in one go.
Superman: Space Age allegedly is very good too, i heard a lot of good, havent had the time to look into.

Lot of fantastic stuff.

So last week I read What’s So Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way. And I just keep coming back to my love of this character. His unshakable goodness. The fact that you can always trust him to be good. Superman really is one of the great characters in all of literature.

That said, here is my definitive list of favorite Superman stories. I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me what I am missing and if there are some that I haven’t read but need to check out:

1. Up in the Sky
2. For the Man Who has Everything
3. What’s so Funny about Truth Justice and the American Way
4. Birthright
5. Warworld Saga
6. All Star Superman
7. Superman Smashes the Klan
8. John Byrne Man of Steel
9. Superman for all Seasons
10. Peace on Earth

Honorable Mention:
Up Up and Away

So last week I read What’s So Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way. And I just keep coming back to my love of this character. His unshakable goodness. The fact that you can always trust him to be good. Superman really is one of the great characters in all of literature.

That said, here is my definitive list of favorite Superman stories. I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me what I am missing and if there are some that I haven’t read but need to check out:

1. Up in the Sky
2. For the Man Who has Everything
3. What’s so Funny about Truth Justice and the American Way
4. Birthright
5. Warworld Saga
6. All Star Superman
7. Superman Smashes the Klan
8. John Byrne Man of Steel
9. Superman for all Seasons
10. Peace on Earth

Honorable Mention:
Up Up and Away
Excellent list! Most of those would be near the top of my list as well. I doubt there are many I've read that you haven't (and certainly none of the "big" ones), but a few of my own personal faves that aren't on your list -

Secret Identity
Space Age
What Lies Beneath
Under the Skin
World of New Krypton
Redemption
Black Dawn
Imperius Lex
From Krypton With Love
Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Big City, Little Man
Only Child
Strange Visitor
The Ghost in the Fortress of Solitude; A Boy and His Dog

Excellent list! Most of those would be near the top of my list as well. I doubt there are many I've read that you haven't (and certainly none of the "big" ones), but a few of my own personal faves that aren't on your list -

Secret Identity
Space Age
What Lies Beneath
Under the Skin
World of New Krypton
Redemption
Black Dawn
Imperius Lex
From Krypton With Love
Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Big City, Little Man
Only Child
Strange Visitor
The Ghost in the Fortress of Solitude; A Boy and His Dog
I’ve read a few of these and love them. I especially love World of New Krypton. Rucka is definitely one of the unsung masters. I have started Space Age and liked it but I have yet to finish it. But there are a few of these that I am unfamiliar with and will definitely be checking out on Ultra. Much Thanks!

Also, and this is something that always happens when you do a list, but I remembered another great Superman story that neither of us have on our list, but would be very high ranking for me, and that is Emporer Joker. If nothing else, the ending and what Superman does for Bruce in
taking on all of the pain that Bruce experienced from dying over and over at the hands of the Joker
goes to show that Superman’s power is not just physical. It is emotional and is his altruism. His power of his character manifests itself in his resilience and his utter being. He is not just stronger physically, he’s genuinely perfect to his core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"