The Official Superman Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, May 31, 2015.

1. Vaibow Registered

Loving the recommendations... thanks so much guys.

2. SniperHF Kind of an Admin

Howdy Superman fans.

I'm going through some of my uncle's old comics and am somewhat confused about something maybe you can help with, google isn't terribly helpful either.

So I've got a Superman 423, "Historic Last issue". Then "The Adventures of Superman" #424, obviously they renamed it cool whatever.. Cute marketing trick. Both around Jan '87.

But then I also have a "It's your first issue, Superman" #1 Jan '87.

So it's like a fork in the character ala Detective Comics and Batman?

Was there some reason behind this besides two different stories?

3. Calvin Ellis Retired

Already have it. Good story.

4. Calvin Ellis Retired

Because TAOS & new Superman title takes place takes place after COIE.

#379 Calvin Ellis, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    flickchick85 likes this.
  5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yep, those are the ones! Keatinge's was indeed the Kamandi one, a cool little meta-story of Superman through the ages with Mxyzptlk. I'm a sucker for Mxy stories in general, but I thought that one was really nicely done.

6. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Ditto. Rucka is also one of the only A-list male writers I 100% trust with female heroines, so based on how much I loved his Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batwoman, I really REALLY want to see him do a Supergirl run.

Babillygunn and Calvin Ellis like this.
  7. Superchan Registered

There is a fantastic silver age Mxy story where he tries to trick Superman into thinking that he has a son and he almost succeeds but then Superman's "son" squeezes a piece of coal into a perfect diamond and Superman figures it out, noting how diamonds never come out pristine from Coal, "that's why they call them diamonds in the rough Mxy" says Superman to him. A really cool story where Superman agonizes about fatherhood and what it means, it also shows how smart Superman can be, which is the one thing I really loved (and miss) about the silver age Superman.

I take it you've already checked out Lazarus and Black magic then? wonderful Rucka comics starring female characters.
    I wish Rucka would do Nightwing (my 2nd favorite character), although Taylor's first Nightwing issue was quite solid so I am optimistic.
    Chick you should also check out Red mother, Once and future, Something is killing the children and Isola, they're not Rucka stories but they are fantastic stories if you're interested in feminism done right.

flickchick85 likes this.
  8. Calvin Ellis Retired

To me Rucka, John's, & Jurgens are the best comics fixers. Meaning when a character gets too far off track like what is happening with Superman right now those would be the guys I would call to get that character back on track.

Karelia, Superchan and flickchick85 like this.
  9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Thanks for the recs! I have read Lazarus (and that Mxy story) but not the others. Will add them to the list. :up:

Superchan likes this.
  10. Superchan Registered

Oh and I forgot to mention Postal (by Matt Hawkins) and Alien defiance (based on the Alien series by Brian wood), the latter in particular is the best Alien related material since Cameron's Aliens and it introduces a wonderful character called Zula Hendricks, be sure to check it out.

You know chick, it's kinda funny, when it comes to sales and overall interest comicbooks are essentially on death's door but creatively speaking ever since the early 2000s comicbooks have experienced a sort of a creative renaissance where superb writers like Brian K Vaughn, Matt Hockins, Ed Brubaker and the such took center stage and started writing original stories for adults and the results include Saga, Y the last man, criminal, incognito, think tank etc....stuff that have nothing to do with superheroes but IMO far more creatively satisfying

flickchick85 likes this.
  11. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I'd say the vast majority of my all-time faves were published post-2000, so I'd agree with that assessment.

Anyhoo, it's that day again:

Thank you for existing, Big Blue! :hrt:

12. Superchan Registered

I don't know if you know this Chick but Clark's official birthday is actually Feb 29th, which is interestingly a 4 yr 'skip' date, meaning it occurs once every 4 years, which in-turn means that Clark ages at 1/4 of our speed hence why he's 83 yrs for us but still a young man in his prime youth.

flickchick85 likes this.
  13. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

14. Calvin Ellis Retired

I knew this was going to happen. I just wish they did a Calvin Ellis book or a Conner Kent as Superman book instead. I have said it many times it truly upsets me with what they did to Conner, Cassie, Tim & Bart just to prop up these new people. It's very sad when there was no need for it. They should've let Jon grow under Clark, Kara, & Conner's teaching like they did with Damian. This is what makes me dislike Jon is because it feels so unearned other than the fact that he is Superman & Lois son with Damian at least we got to see him grow and not be forced down our throats.

Karelia likes this.
  15. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Ouch, thats not good.
    I read the current Superman comics and i couldnt tell you any Character trait or so about jon.
    The Character is just there...a far cry from the boy we saw before DC turned their brains off and green lit Bendis absolute stupid idea.

Hard pass from, teenage Jon holds no appeal to me, he is just boring.
    *sighs* why cant ge get the superson back...they had god damn Gold and wasted it.
    Now we have a boring teenage Jon and whatever the hell damian does.:(

16. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Check out this variant cover for Action Comics # 1033 featuring the various styles of Superman from classic to present day
    20210421_181658.jpg

17. Superchan Registered

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who loves the black Superman from Valtho island, honestly I think the character is just a whole bag of untapped potential. He's not Clark Kent but he's definitely Superman in every sense of the word and he's a president, which makes him very unique in the sense that, unlike Clark, he's neck deep in politics, which means he can be pro-active when it comes to changing policies and thus by extend the world as a whole.

I like Jon Kent for what he brings to Superman/CK's character but sadly not so much as a character on his own. They had a great thing going with the kent family dynamic that Tomasi brought to the books only to bring Bendis and s*** the bed royally.
    However saying all that I liked Tom Taylor's first Nightwing issue and if he continues to win me over I might just have to give his Jon Kent a chance.
    Lastly I have to admit that the Superman/authority book by Morrison has my super-sense tingling so overall this new direction the Superman books are heading towards seems like a mixed bag but I am willing to take the plunge and give it a chance.

Babillygunn likes this.
  18. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

These are the type of Superman stories I like reading especially when Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince are involved.

19. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I would also throw Mark Waid onto that list. And he was my personal choice to take over on Superman post-Bendis. I’d love to see Rucka take another run on Detective.

Superchan, Mani-Man and Calvin Ellis like this.
  20. Superchan Registered

Oh yeah Rucka in particular would be rad! I think his AOS run was very solid but sadly got hampered down by Infinite crisis non sense.
    I don't know if any of you noticed but Z. Snyder used a very similar plot to Rucka's early run on Adventures where Lois was involved in a political plot in the desert, the difference ofcourse is that Rucka's story was coherent while Snyder's was.....well BvS.

21. flickchick85 Admin of Might

22. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I actually love Infinite Crisis. Definitely one of my favorites.
    :pal:

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I love Doc Shaner.

[​IMG]

Notice Bizarro is landing while everyone else is headed upward.

Babillygunn and Superchan like this.
  24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I just discovered DCUI has a Triangle Era collection/reading order. As I've only read a few select stories from that era...helllooooo new project. :D

25. FakeGroot The Trans, The Myth, The Legend

We need more Brainiac. He's hot TBH. (I have bad tastes in males...)

Motown Marvel likes this.