The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey Tango

Avenger
Reaction score
Welcome! The release date for Marvel Studios 'Thor' is drawing nigh and reviews have started appearing from official outlets. I'll be collecting those at the bottom of this post, as well as opening a rating poll very soon.

AS IS ALWAYS THE CASE WITH THESE THREADS, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO POST YOUR OWN REVIEWS, BUT SINCE THE MOVIE IS OPENING WEEKS EARLY IN SOME LOCATIONS PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF YOUR FELLOW POSTERS AND USE SPOILER TAGS!!!

apinhh.jpg

Currently 95% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes

Collected Reviews

Access Reel - "If you don’t enjoy superhero films, then this film won’t change your mind about the genre. But THOR is an entertaining blend of well-honed storytelling devices. This is a professionally made big budget popcorn flick that won’t take you to new realms but is likely to keep you engaged for two hours."

AICN - "I’m very happy. This is so much more of THOR than ever really hoped I’d get in a first THOR movie."

At the Movies - "Performances are fine, Hopkins is an imposing Odin and Chris Hemsworth is obviously on his way to real stardom with this. He looks very fit. I'm giving it three and a half stars and I was really interested to see what the director Kenneth Branagh had to say about making the film."

Bleeding Cool - "Thor is a brilliant, epic, and often very funny superhero movie that is very much worth your while. It’s so huge in scope that the big-screen experience is more than a luxury, it’s the only way to enjoy the daring, dizzying scope of Kenneth Branagh’s vision. See it."

Blokely - "Thor has everything you could want in a big-budget comic book action-adventure - big battles, big scenery, big weapons, Natalie Portman, stellar cast, well-placed humour and the sheer desire to smite you. What's more, it sets us up nicely for The Avengers and lays a hefty gauntlet for Captain America. In the words of Thor himself: 'Bring me another!'"

Box Seat - "Thor is a very funny, sometimes thrilling epic action fantasy elevated by fantastic acting performances from all involved and surprising direction from an unexpected corner in Kenneth Branagh. It was flaws – boy does it have flaws – but for not one second of it was I bored. On that level, Thor has overcome my expectations and is much, much better than the lacklustre hype for the film would indicate."

Browntails - "Thor kicks ash by the hammer load. Lube up your jaw muscles for an impending smile attack."

Cinema Autopsy - "Thor is not a groundbreaking film but it’s a satisfying and entertaining spectacle that facilitates decent character and narrative development over its running time."

Collider - "If you were nervous that Marvel would somehow not be able to bring Thor into the same universe their previous movies occupy, don’t be. I’m happy to report Thor is not only great, but it kicks open the door to so many other characters. If audiences respond (which they should), over the next few years, look for many other larger than life characters on movie screens."

CBM - "This is a really simple review, but I just want people to know how fantastic this film is. Given that I am one of the first of the general public to have seen it, I felt I had this duty. Have faith that when the time comes for you to see it, you will not be disappointed."

CBR - "While “Thor” is not a perfect film, it is the best from Marvel Studios yet. The lessons learned from their previous attempts are evident here, with a strong storyline that doesn’t have any major weaknesses. The film deftly expands the Marvel Universe in film, taking bold steps to set itself apart from the pack, with a great set-up for what may be the ultimate super hero cross over."

Comic Buzz - "Thor’s a great start to blockbuster season, but it’s also a very fitting tribute to its lead character."

CnM - "The film is a lot of fun, full of action and terrific performances, and is an excellent origin story. Overall, I rate Thor a 5 out of 5!"

Cut Print Review - "Verdict: An enjoyable film, Thor remains solid throughout; seasoned and unknown actors blend well to introduce a new hero to cinema."

Daily Mail - "Verdict: Norse nonsense, but great fun."

Daily Mirror - "Aside from its excellent visuals and sense of fun as the star adjusts to his surroundings, Thor avoids the common superhero trap of spending an age on back story before the plot kicks in. Director Kenneth Branagh (yes, him) ensures the action comes thick and fast. By Odin's beard, it's a winner."

Damn Good Cup - "A near disaster; disappoints on almost all levels."

Danny Graydon - "After the dreadful folly of Sucker Punch, Thor is a proper opening salvo for this year’s blockbuster season and, if July’s Captain America delivers on the fulsome promises of the trailers, 2011 may well be a banner year for Marvel’s film unit. For verily: it kicks Asgard."

Dark Horizons - "'Thor' will please fans and may actually convert a few. The effects are solid, the costume and sets are opulent and work well in context, and the score is grandiose but rarely distracting."

Den of Geek - "With fantastic effects, strong characters and a story you’ll find yourself wanting to see again straight afterwards, Thor kicks off the summer in style. Even if it occasionally stumbles, most blockbusters don’t even try to reach the heights Thor attains. It definitely enters Marvel Studios’ canon somewhere near the top, and if nothing else, it’s made life much, much more difficult for Captain America. It's just become the film to beat this summer."

Digital Spy - "All the boxes are ticked for what threatens to be the most obnoxious film of the year. It comes as a relief, then, that rather than bang us over the head with that hammer, Hemsworth and Kenneth Branagh take a mischievous, light-hearted approach more in keeping with the Marvel Comic than the ancient mythology."

DIY(Becky Reed) - "While the trailers suggested a cheesy, Dutch-angled, all brawn and no brains kinda flick, what we have here is Shakespearean tragedy set to production designer Bo Welch's gorgeously retro sets and Branagh's unleashed fanboy enthusiasm. A stellar effort that has raised the bar for this year's endless comic adaptations."

DIY (Christa Ktorides) - "Hemsworth and Hiddleston are worth the price of admission alone. Don't worry if you know nothing about Thor, get thee to the local cinema, leave your cynicism at the door and marvel (ahem) at the sheer majesty and fantasy on screen."

Eat Sleep Live Film - "Exciting, funny, unique and always entertaining, this is a solid hit which I hope gets the commercial love it’s due."

Empire - "At first glance, all the ingredients for a cheddar convention to rival the likes of Flash Gordon are there — ginormous sets, larger-than-life characters with ridiculous names and powers to match. But Thor is too knowing to stock up on the movie mozzarella. What it is, though, is tremendous fun, and further proof that Marvel Studios knows how to handle its back catalogue."

entertainment.ie - "Mixing more fantastical elements than we're used to seeing in the Marvel universe, this production is as sturdy as its imposing lead, Chris Hemsworth. It mightn't mix the worlds of Asgard and Earth together as seamlessly as it could have, and the 3D is utterly inane, but Branagh handles the dramatic family elements of the story with aplomb, while Hemsworth is excellent."

Fan the Fire - "It seemed, for a while, as though graphic novel adaptations were reaching their own post-modernity. Auteurs were twisting the old clichés into something closely resembling art, and Watchmen finally got its big screen debut. But this Marvel series proves that there are still millions of people who want nothing more from a summer blockbuster than the costumes and characters of their youth, filmed in 3D with expensive animation techniques."

Film4 - "Could stand to be a little more gripping, and to make more of the "superhero" element of its character's funny book origins. But it's enjoyable while it lasts, and as a primer for The Avengers - with a proper, plot-setting post-credits scene, to boot - it works a treat.

FilmInk - "Though not one of Marvel's most famous characters (lacking the instant recognition factor of, say, Spider-Man or The Hulk), Branagh succeeds in making Thor accessible, coherent and engaging. He takes something that could have potentially been silly, and crafts it into a big, grand, visually impressive slab of superhero cinema. Thor aims high - and thanks to a superb cast and a savvy director - it gets there."

The Film Pie - "It’s not a horrible film but it’s one that doesn’t want to take any chances. It has been crafted from the familiar PG-mould used by many other comic books adaptations over the past decade. It wants to impress with dazzling special effects rather than through an emotive, captivating story. There’s clearly an audience for this film but I don’t think I’m part of it."

Flick Filosopher - "It’s all better than Clash of the Titans, by a whole bunch. And that’s good enough."

FrightFest - "It’s infectiously engaging, fantastic fun and kicks the summer blockbuster season off with a major bang."

Geek, Actually - "Overall I really enjoyed “Thor” a lot, it’s an action packed fantasy film that is fairly faithful to its source material while still being accessible to those that have never read a comic book. It is just a fun ride and if you can just let yourself buy into the world it is creating, you will have a great time."

The Guardian - "I'd hesitate to call this a good film, exactly. It's overlong and all over the place. The sets are tacky and the script is skittish. Some of the supporting players (most notably a stricken Stellan Skarsgård) appear poignantly all at sea. But there's something weirdly charming about it just the same. Branagh has knocked his film together with a terrific, freewheeling gusto. It has its tongue in its cheek and the fun is infectious. For all of its faults, Thor's never a bore."

Herald Sun - "Displaying both a rare lightness of touch in its earthbound form, and a likeable lunkheadedness when dishing out its quota of mythological rough stuff, Thor brings the hammer down on viewers in fine style."

Hitfix - "If 'Captain America' is at least as fun as 'Thor,' then Marvel can rest easy until next summer, because they will have managed to introduce each one of the Avengers successfully. The best thing I can say about this film is that it genuinely made me want to see Hemsworth arguing with Robert Downey Jr., magic versus science, and I can finally imagine the two of them occupying the same world"

Hollywood Reporter - "The arrogant warrior Thor’s great conversion, central to the plot, is unrealistically lightning-quick and the movie’s dramatic arc falters amid the constant shifts between earthly and celestial realms. But execs at Marvel Studios, gambling heavily on the success of Thor and the upcoming Captain America: The First Avenger to set up next summer’s ensemble behemoth The Avengers, can rest easy: You’ve built it and they will come. They may even bring a date."

Holy Moly - "So go and soak it up - it's big, brash, a bit daft and surprisingly funny. After the last few year's ****** superhero fest - Thor is a blessed relief."

Hope Lies - "Thor... is an absolute gem of blockbuster cinema, impressing hugely as an act of spectacle, yet containing a surprising amount of heart."

IGN - "Thor may not be a game-changer for comic book movies, but it's a solidly entertaining one most noteworthy for taking what could have been utterly campy material and making it dramatic and relatable. There's action and otherworldly elements to appease the core fans and possibly even win over some skeptics, and enough humor and humanity to engage general audiences."

IndieLondon - "... as an introduction to one of Marvel’s more complex characters and a precursor to The Avengers, this does just fine, while simultaneously kick-starting another summer blockbuster season in suitably spectacular and crowd-pleasing style."

Joseph Dickerson - "All in all it’s not as good as the original Iron Man, a film that I think is the best Marvel adaptation ever (save for the final underwhelming battle sequence, which Thor also suffers from). But it’s quite good, and definitely worth the ticket price."

Junior Magazine - "Branagh’s Thor soars where it’s meant to soar, scores big laughs in all the right places and sends viewers stumbling out of the cinema with smiles on their faces."

Click here for more reviews

Last edited:
3 positive reviews so far,Nice!

^ haha, no, I believe in this film. True its three fan sites that have the reviews so its niche opinions, but I'm gonna stay positive.
I have noticed I generally agree with IGNs scores.

Im just really happy that they said Hemsworth and Hiddleston steal the show.

This sounds amazing. The Cbr one is the Best imho. The last one has crazy spoilers so I did'nt read All of it.

I hope we get a Thor 2 that has the Lord of the rings feel that marvel wanted to start with.

Awsome.... can't wait...less then 3 weeks to go.

With good critique reviews and more commercials this movie can't go wrong.

Well it's off to a good start, I'd say. Hopefully it keeps it up.

RT says theres a negative review but I can't see it.

The thing about that negative review is that it isn't all that negative. "Everything was generally good, I just thought the Asgard stuff was cheesy and am bored with superhero movies."

So that's pretty awesome, six reviews- five really positive, one negative-- and not even that negative, as he even admits to being tired of comic book movies and says it's by no means terrible.
edit- double damn you, Cheewwwyyyy!!! :argh: :argh: :argh:

Happy with the reviews so far. I'm doing a great job avoiding spoilers, so hopefully I don't accidentally see one.

From Collider's twitter:
Embargo has lifted. Thought THOR was great. Its not perfect, but its filled with a lot of stuff you'll love. Look for more on collider soon.

after reading some reviews of people from the pre-screening (before primere) i was dissapointed...but after reading from the reviews that it surpassed expectations... i am even more pumped

Last edited:
one of the reviews said DSTRYR was underwhelming...
i hope that doesnt affect the action sequences

one of the reviews said DSTRYR was underwhelming...
i hope that doesnt affect the action sequences

Well in ways if you ARE an Fan Destroyer,

Is pretty much under whelming in the script compared to the comics. Destroyer falls to Thor too easily if they didn't change anything from the script.

Shhh... he gave it a good review!
heh I know I'm just curious who he is.
In ways I'm curious what AICN will say but I trust many of the posters HERE to let me know that. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"