Iron Man 2 The Official Whiplash Thread

Double Down

A New Kind of Thrill
Reaction score
In what would mark his first studio film since resurrecting his career with "The Wrestler," Mickey Rourke is in talks to play the heavy in "Iron Man 2," the Marvel Entertainment sequel that director Jon Favreau begins shooting this spring.

Rourke is in discussions to play a villain described as Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit.
The script -- which is still being written -- is a guarded secret, but speculation is that villain is likely comicbook nemesis Crimson Dynamo.
Rourke goes into the Golden Globe weekend vying for best actor in a role that revived his career. Downey soared to become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood when "Iron Man" grossed over $600 million worldwide.
Paramount Pictures will distribute the film in summer 2010. Rourke is repped by ICM.

From Variety.com

Mickey Rourke as Crimson Dynamo? ****ing sweet :up:

This also pretty much confirms that casting call from a little while ago as legit.

Sam Rockwell too? Sounds like it may well be the first Dynamo/second Dynamo storyline...

In what would mark his first studio film since resurrecting his career with "The Wrestler," Mickey Rourke is in talks to play the heavy in "Iron Man 2," the Marvel Entertainment sequel that director Jon Favreau begins shooting this spring.Rourke is in discussions to play a villain described as Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit.

Actor Sam Rockwell is in negotiations to play another villian in the pic.

The script -- which is still being written -- is a guarded secret, but speculation is that villain is likely comicbook nemesis Crimson Dynamo.

Rourke goes into the Golden Globe weekend vying for best actor in a role that revived his career. Downey soared to become one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood when "Iron Man" grossed over $600 million worldwide.

Paramount Pictures will distribute the film in summer 2010.
Rourke is repped by ICM.

SOURCE

This movie is shaping up very nicely.

Seriously...

Robert Downey Jr
Don Cheadle
Gwyneth Paltrow
Mickey Rourke
Sam Rockwell
Tim Robbins
Samuel L. Jackson

That's one hell of a cast :D

It really is. I can't wait to see this.

Really looking forward to this

Rockwell = Justin Hammer!!

Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell are in talks to star as the villains in "Iron Man 2," being directed by Jon Favreau.

Marvel has been keeping a very tight lid on the script for the sequel, being written by Justin Theroux, but it is known that Rourke would play a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils.

Rockwell would play Justin Hammer, a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist Anthony Stark, AKA Iron Man, being played by a returning Robert Downey Jr.

Rourke and Rockwell would be joining a cast that also includes the returning Gwyneth Paltrow and Don Cheadle, who is replacing Terrence Howard, making for one eclectically cast summer blockbuster.

Another part -- one for Stark's assistant Natasha -- is still open.

The project is eyeing a spring start in Manhattan Beach. Paramount will release the movie May 7, 2010.

Rourke, repped by ICM, is making the best of the accolades he is receiving for his heart-wrenching turn in "The Wrestler." On top of this big-budget movie, the actor, who will next be seen in "The Informers," just joined the cast of "The Expendables," an action movie starring Sylvester Stallone, Jet Li, Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren.

If Rockwell's deal makes, it would mark a rare studio appearance for the actor, who is best known for his indie dramas. Gersh-repped Rockwell recently starred as a sex-addicted con man in "Choke" and an estranged husband in "Snow Angels." He can currently be seen in the political drama "Frost/Nixon."

SOURCE

Of note that Sam Rockwell was just in Choke, directed by Clark Gregg from the first film.

And... I just noticed that Rourke is Whiplash.

Mods: Title change? "Mickey Rourke is Whiplash, Sam Rockwell is Justin Hammer"

They are pulling out the stops for this one.

It could be:

Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell to play Iron Man 2 villains?

^ Yeah, but the Hollywood Reporter is very clear which character each would play

Maybe, but they haven't even signed yet. It's all still up in the air. "Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell to play Iron Man 2 villains?" covers all of the possibilities: whether they will do it and who they will play.

True. Perhaps "Mickey Rourke is Whiplash, Sam Rockwell is Justin Hammer?"

Either way, the current title needs to be changed.

This movie is gonna be stuffed. Hopefully it's not rushed.

DD, if I have to change this thread title one more time, you're gonna get a time out mister. :cmad:

:im:

The Hollywood Reporter article I linked to was updated with this tidbit:

Another part -- one for Stark's assistant Natasha -- is still open.

DD, if I have to change this thread title one more time, you're gonna get a time out mister. :cmad:

Um, it's not even what I asked for. Rourke hasn't been cast, he's in negotiations.

Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell to play Iron Man 2 villains?

:lmao:

About a billion geek sites reported "Rourke is Crimson Dynamo!" when the Variety article came out, before THR article said he'd be Whiplash.

What an amazing cast this is coming to be! I am all for this, Mickey Rourke will be awesome playing any villain but I would like for him to play Crimson Dynamo and I wonder...Sam Rockwell would definitely fit as a billionaire ambitious playboy. I love this but I guess it might rule him out of playing the Riddler in the sequel to Nolan's Batman, which I wanted.

What happened to the Mandarin, I wonder who will eventually don that character?

EIther way this is incredible casting. We have RDJr, Don Cheadle, Gwyneth Paltrow, Mickey Rourke, Tim RObbins, and Sam ROckwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"