Iron Man 2 The Official Whiplash Thread

Maybe I should've started a new thread with that article :o oh well

I think when all is said and done Rourke will most likely be Crimson Dynamo, he is one of Iron Man's greatest villians, Whiplash is not, as a matter fact, in the first film when Iron Man is having it out with the F-22's , their call sign's were Whiplash 1 & 2, giving a nod to Iron Man villian whiplash.
Plus, Whiplash is not Russian.

Last edited:
A Russian with deadly coils sounds more like Omega Red from the X-Men books....

Rourke even looks like Omega Red!

I think when all is said and done Rourke will most likely be Crimson Dynamo, he is one of Iron Man's greatest villians, Whiplash is not, as a matter fact, in the first film when Iron Man is having it out with the F-22's , there call signed were Whiplash 1 & 2, giving a nod to Iron Man villian whiplash.
Plus, Whiplash is not Russian.

I'm not arguing about Iron Man with the Iron Man Forum Poster of the Year.

cool2.gif

Rourke and Rockwell are both good actors, but does anyone really see Rockwell as Justin Hammer? That's quite the reinvention of the Justin Hammer I've known.

Wow....people should read before they make posts, lol. Rourke will be playing Whiplash. Which is weird, isn't Dynamo a stronger character/villain than Whiplash?

And...Hammer is usually portrayed as an older guy in the comics...Rockwell is too young, isn't he?

^ Uhm, yeah--you missed the whole thing from the beginning, obviously

Wow....people should read before they make posts, lol. Rourke will be playing Whiplash. Which is weird, isn't Dynamo a stronger character/villain than Whiplash?

And...Hammer is usually portrayed as an older guy...Rockwell is too young, isn't he?
That's not known. One trade is saying he will be playing Crimson Dynamo, the other is saying he will be playing Whiplash.

One of them is wrong, I guess we'll find out which soon enough.

And...Hammer is usually portrayed as an older guy in the comics...Rockwell is too young, isn't he?

It hasn't been settled for sure what role Rourke will play.

Rourke and Rockwell are both good actors, but does anyone really see Rockwell as Justin Hammer? That's quite the reinvention of the Justin Hammer I've known.

Maybe he'll be playing a younger Justin Hammer.

Or they'll grey up his hair.

Or maybe he's playing someone else entirely!

First Impression
Rockwell as Justin Hammer? Hammer is supposed to be old. I guess I could buy that they want him to be Stark's peer.......

......but what about Rockwell as HAwkeye. Hawkeye was originally an Iron Man foe, tricked into coppurt espionage by Black Widow. And Rockwell could make a badass Hawkeye. This is exactly what Im hoping for.

Awesome news :im::up:

Rockwell WILL be Justin Hammer... I can totally see him in the role. The sleezy billionare rival... a little young... but he'll be an excellent change of pace to the character in the comics. This guy is a younger Gary Oldman... he will NAIL the role.

Rourke will most likely be Dynamo... they are going Armor Wars... Mandarin was to be saved for the third film as everyone knows. I don't think you sign an actor like Mickey for a villain like Whiplash. That is just my take. Plus I think we will only get War Machine in the end meaning I am thinking Dynamo will be the main villain.

Black Widow will easily fit into this plot... I think she'll be a villain initially... going over to the SHIELD at the end.

Hawkeye... not too sure... he may start off the same way as BW. We'll have to wait and see... I don't think he should be in the series this early.

War Machine... I'd say he'll show up at the end. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Despite whoever they are casted as, Rockwell and Rourke are some of the most underused talents in Hollywood and Im glad they get to be apart of this rather big blockbuster.

I guess I could buy that they want him to be Stark's peer.......

Yeah it seems like that is the angle Favs is going to take. Rockwell is definitely an actor that can pull off that rich, snobby, witty type attitude.

It's great to see Rourke and Rockwell join IM-2.

On a lighter note, I'm glad Paltrow is returning. It's nice to have more people returning for IM-2 other than Favreau and RDJ, and she handled the character wonderfully in the first flick.

Floored. Completely.

Mickey Rourke casting is insane. I can't wait to read more.

BUT....I am MORE excited about Sam Rockwell. He is one of the best character actors out there right now. Just fantastic acting in all of his roles. He will play an ******* arrogant competitor super super perfect.

This is mad thumbs up! :word:

I could see them re-inventing Hammer, I'm personally not married to the way the character has been since he was introduced, it would make sense to make him Stark's age.
As for who actually Rourke is playing, I guess we wait to see what Marvel say's, they haven't officailly announced anything yet.

Rourke will most likely be Dynamo... they are going Armor Wars... Mandarin was to be saved for the third film as everyone knows. I don't think you sign an actor like Mickey for a villain like Whiplash. That is just my take. Plus I think we will only get War Machine in the end meaning I am thinking Dynamo will be the main villain.
Both Dynamo & Whiplash could potentially be written as main villains. While it's true Dynamo is probably more well known, he's a LOT like Iron Monger, whereas Whiplash is a slightly less well known villain (though he was in the animated series and the movie game) who is a lot more unique.

We shall see.

I still don't get both Hawkeye AND BW in this film... we already have Paltrow, Cheadle, SLJ as supporting actors... I think Hawkeye is too much. I hope his role is small... something like the SHIELD agent in Iron Man. No clue how they'll fit all these characters is.

If Rockwell is playing Hammer, Whiplash was usually a henchmen for him, as well as Blizzard, Boomerang, Spymaster, Ghost,etc. Whiplash was never really a threat to Iron Man, as part of a villian team, yes, but one on one, no.
Crimson Dynamo on the other hand, he was a soldier of the Soviet Union, hated Capitalism and fought Iron Man time and time again and caused Iron Man serious trouble, so Rourke makes more sense as Dynamo than a low level henchman like Whiplash (who was in the Iron Man video game).

I still don't get both Hawkeye AND BW in this film... we already have Paltrow, Cheadle, SLJ as supporting actors... I think Hawkeye is too much. I hope his role is small... something like the SHIELD agent in Iron Man. No clue how they'll fit all these characters is.

Hawkeye was originally an Iron Man villain. Over time hes been connected to Avengers, SHIELD, and Black Widow in some version. I think theres plenty he can do without being a burden on the story

I kinda already see it play out. Black Widow, a Soviet agent, puppeteers Hawkeye to steal Iron Man suit designs for the Soviets who in turn create Crimson Dynamo. Hawkeye, out of guilt, helps Iron Man in the end. Black Widow is arrested by SHIELD and later used in Avengers as the member no one really trusts plus a love/hate relationship with Stark.

Last edited:
I love me some Rockwell, if this news is true color me extremely happy. I was just talking to my sister about how underrated he is.

Hawkeye was originally an Iron Man villain. Over time hes been connected to Avengers, SHIELD, and Black Widow in some version. I think theres plenty he can do without being a burden on the story

Yeah I know that... I don't think they will get into that whole back story... I hope he is used like a SHIELD agent who is more involved in the action. Plus I think the Hawkeye costume would look a little ridiculous on the big screen... I am all for being a purist but lets be real here. Unless they explain his circus days it wouldn't make a lot of sense... I am thinking purple padding tops... do away with the full blown mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"