The ONE theme that needs to make it into the movie

co2

Sidekick
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have an idea as to what they want to see in this movie. I've been a fan of this character all of my life and I have come to realise the one thing that attracts me to this character and sets him apart from any other comic book superhero..the one thing that makes or breaks a Hulk story to me, and it's the one thing that I think will make or break this movie.

Banner vs Hulk..

Banner is a heroic character, that DOESN'T WANT his superhero abilities....and that's really his distinguishing trait. He is a superhero, whose quest is to get rid of his powers. What other superhero has that distinguishing feature as his main theme? He is trying to purge himself of this curse that was brought upon him by his own hand. Sure you have the smashing and the fighting with supervillains, which is fun along the way..but the whole crux of the story is Banner wants to rid himself of Hulk...and sometimes Hulk wants to rid himself of Banner. It's very "Universal monster movie" but even Stan himself admits he borrowed ideas from that source.

To me, the best stories from the comic revolved around this duality and struggling with it. Fighting the Abomination or the leader, or whatever incidentals were thrown in his path along the way, were really just the side stories to this primary storyline. Hell, even the TV show...for all the things it changed, nailed this idea...and that's why it worked.

It sounds like the movie may capture this theme just right. As long as they do, I can let go of any other small changes like a couple of webbed ears...and I'll be a happy man. If you are a real Hulk fan and enjoy or know the character, I would think this would be the most important thing to you too.

Thoughts?

YES YES YES!!!!!! One thing I have ALWAYS loved about the Hulk.

I wouldn't expect it though, the closest the confrontation has come in live action media is treating Hulk as a curse (as he should.) But I'd love some good ol' Banner hates Hulk, Hulk hates Banner. It's that side of us we've all had come out, and we all regret later on.

Both sides, in constant struggle.

The problem I had with the last film, is... he didn't even seem to take it as a curse, but instead a way out, a freedom. While a nice alternate take... not so much my style.

So my prediction for this film is...

Treating like a curse as in the TV show, but no Banner Vs. Hulk as in comics. Which is essentially 50/50 good/bad.

Edit: What I mean by Banner Vs. Hulk is... I bet you'll see Banner want to rid himself... but since I doubt Hulk will be speaking, I doubt you'll hear any "Puny Banner"s maybe in a sequel...?

The synopsis mentioned he is in pursuit of a cure. As long as the main thrust of the story is Banner trying to rid himself of the Hulk, that will qualify for me.
Without that idea, Hulk is just another comic book strong guy, which there are legions of. How boring is that? That's why comic stories like Planet Hulk didn't appeal to me. I felt like it was a story that strayed from the essence of the character. It removes his most interesting aspect.

First off, I agree; the complex duality of the character really makes him stand out. I love the "relationship" between Hulk and Banner.

That's why comic stories like Planet Hulk didn't appeal to me. I felt like it was a story that strayed from the essence of the character. It removes his most interesting aspect.

This is why Planet Hulk was fascinating to me; Banner needed the Hulk to survive and vice versa. World War Hulk was equally fascinating as, for the first time, Banner and Hulk were in total, complete agreement. It's always been said that Banner always holds the Hulk back to a certain degree (which is why "Mindless Hulk" or "Bannerless Hulk"--the character in the books...not the character with that username on the SHH boards--is so dangerous). However, when Banner is in agreement with the Hulk...and wants the same things the Hulk does...! WOW! No wonder he kicked so much butt!

The synopsis mentioned he is in pursuit of a cure. As long as the main thrust of the story is Banner trying to rid himself of the Hulk, that will qualify for me.
Without that idea, Hulk is just another comic book strong guy, which there are legions of. How boring is that? That's why comic stories like Planet Hulk didn't appeal to me. I felt like it was a story that strayed from the essence of the character. It removes his most interesting aspect.

I agree. Banner hate the Hulk and the Hulk hates Banner. That is what is key to me. Being afraid to loose your temper, to completely blow your top to the point that you're seeing red is what I connected with. Everyone has that side of them that they don’t what to let lose because of what could happen. Banner just happens to have it to the enth degree. :bh:

YES YES YES!!!!!! One thing I have ALWAYS loved about the Hulk.

I wouldn't expect it though, the closest the confrontation has come in live action media is treating Hulk as a curse (as he should.) But I'd love some good ol' Banner hates Hulk, Hulk hates Banner. It's that side of us we've all had come out, and we all regret later on.

Both sides, in constant struggle.

The problem I had with the last film, is... he didn't even seem to take it as a curse, but instead a way out, a freedom. While a nice alternate take... not so much my style.

So my prediction for this film is...

Treating like a curse as in the TV show, but no Banner Vs. Hulk as in comics. Which is essentially 50/50 good/bad.

Edit: What I mean by Banner Vs. Hulk is... I bet you'll see Banner want to rid himself... but since I doubt Hulk will be speaking, I doubt you'll hear any "Puny Banner"s maybe in a sequel...?
I beg to differ a lil bit with the Bolded section. The way I understood it was that although he felt free he still didnt like the Hulk. That's why he says "you know what scares me the most..." which shows that he does not want to like the "freedom" because "according to my interpretation" if he allows himself to like the freedom of losing control, then he will lose himself in the process. So to him it is sort of like a guilty pleasure. (I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure I explained that properly)

I beg to differ a lil bit with the Bolded section. The way I understood it was that although he felt free he still didnt like the Hulk. That's why he says "you know what scares me the most..." which shows that he does not want to like the "freedom" because "according to my interpretation" if he allows himself to like the freedom of losing control, then he will lose himself in the process. So to him it is sort of like a guilty pleasure. (I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure I explained that properly)

Yes I understood it the same way, but Hulk should never be a guilty pleasure. Banner should be terrified 100% of that transformation, of Hulk gaining control.

What I didn't like is Hulk felt like an EXTENSION of Banner rather than a completely different being or personality dwelling within him.

Everyone seems to have an idea as to what they want to see in this movie. I've been a fan of this character all of my life and I have come to realise the one thing that attracts me to this character and sets him apart from any other comic book superhero..the one thing that makes or breaks a Hulk story to me, and it's the one thing that I think will make or break this movie.

Banner vs Hulk..

Banner is a heroic character, that DOESN'T WANT his superhero abilities....and that's really his distinguishing trait. He is a superhero, whose quest is to get rid of his powers. What other superhero has that distinguishing feature as his main theme? He is trying to purge himself of this curse that was brought upon him by his own hand. Sure you have the smashing and the fighting with supervillains, which is fun along the way..but the whole crux of the story is Banner wants to rid himself of Hulk...and sometimes Hulk wants to rid himself of Banner. It's very "Universal monster movie" but even Stan himself admits he borrowed ideas from that source.

To me, the best stories from the comic revolved around this duality and struggling with it. Fighting the Abomination or the leader, or whatever incidentals were thrown in his path along the way, were really just the side stories to this primary storyline. Hell, even the TV show...for all the things it changed, nailed this idea...and that's why it worked.

It sounds like the movie may capture this theme just right. As long as they do, I can let go of any other small changes like a couple of webbed ears...and I'll be a happy man. If you are a real Hulk fan and enjoy or know the character, I would think this would be the most important thing to you too.

Thoughts?

Banner vs. Hulk is the main theme of this character, which is why I don't think the Hulk will work well without speaking. Who wouldn't get a chill up their spine hearing Hulk say "Puny Banner" or "Banner's weak" at the right moment in the film. It's an interesting aspect of the character that could be played on many ways. Banner/Hulk are their own worst enemies. The fact that Banner fears the Hulk's power and the Hulk hating Banner's weaknesses is intriguing to me and was one of the points that attracted me to the character. Just different sides of the same coin.

Though different they also share many of the same heroic qualities.

Non speaking Hulk only work well in 3 minute showings in a television series.

Yes I understood it the same way, but Hulk should never be a guilty pleasure. Banner should be terrified 100% of that transformation, of Hulk gaining control.

What I didn't like is Hulk felt like an EXTENSION of Banner rather than a completely different being or personality dwelling within him.
OK Now i got ya!

Rick Jones versus Jack McGee.

Come on, Louis, there's still time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"