The Punisher theme - Should it return?

odiin

Sidekick
Reaction score
For me, The Punisher theme song in the original film was the second best thing in the film next to Thomas Jane himself, and now though Thomas Jane is gone even if everything else changed in this movie I would still love for them to keep that theme. It's easily memorable and I feel it fits the character like a glove, regardless of who's playing him. I would like to see it as deeply associated with the character as John Williams Superman theme or (for better or for worse) the 1966 Batman theme.

I would hate for this wonderful theme to only be seen it what will undoubtedly be considered in 20 years time just one very obscure film, but that's only my opinion. What do you guys think?

To refresh your memories it plays in the beginning here:

[YT]bVk8H3nToRU[/YT]

dnt get me rong i love the punisher it was great and i love the punisher comic character but that theme was so wild west Clint Eastwood we need something fresh, i loved the theme from the game it was haunting, something more gritty. jus my thoughts

I really liked the theme, but I'd say just put it in there for continuity's sake.
Obviously since they will try and make this a distant sequel to a film that they don't want to be recognized but not fully fledged to the original, I then say to trash the theme and have a new one.

I like the theme. It should return. It sounds like a war hero theme. Brave fearless warrior sounding music. I think it should return.

I like the theme. It should return. It sounds like a war hero theme. Brave fearless warrior sounding music. I think it should return.

My thoughts exactly. It's like that but also with a wild west element to it. It would be really awesome if for the next film they made a more militaristic version of it with some army drums playing in the background and making it sound more like a march.

I liked the them alot. If it's used in the sequel, then that'd be great. If not, then it won't bother me.

I think the original's films score was great...for that film. New crew, new actors = new score

Yeah, we could very well be getting a new score.

It was a great theme, suited it perfectly. But it needs to change, everything else has changed, except LGF's piss poor attitude towards the movie.
War drums would be a brilliant addition, get it to give off more of a war feel. He's supposed to be at war, so it's got to feel to us like he is.

Anyone gonna start a thread about whether the skull logo is going to change?

it would be assinine to pretend the sequel has no connection to the first movie. messing with the score does exactly that. in one thread people speak how the executives at LG are basically burying the Punisher franchise. and then what, they have to change the score of the film.

before you harp too zealously at Lionsgate, I suggest you look into the mirror. sameness and franchise are basically synonymous in comic book movies, or have you not watched those few trilogies that actually have been made pertaining to the subject?

you can pretty much guess my vote.

I say no.

Go with Metallica's "Seek and Destroy" or "Don't Tread On Me."

Z\S/

I liked it a lot but I'm actually hoping they come up with something a little more contemporary sounding for the new one. At the very least they should rework the old theme.

I loved the theme, and I think it should stay. Although, if it must change, I agree with Neo_aa: they should rework it. Make it contemporary.

Neither was I really, to be honest.

Funny thing is, I was watching Raw Deal the other day, and it struck me that some of the score (namely 'Kaminsky Stomps') would have been perfect for the Punisher (I know, I know - it's synth and it's dated -so sue me - I grew up on Carpenter fims!)

The funny thing is - just before the Punisher film came out - a friend of mine managed to get some kind of workprint of the movie that didnt have the proper score comped in at that time - so they used some kind of temp synth score and it was great - gave it a real nasty edge to it)

I'm not saying let's go all 80's but I just saying it was badass...............

Spider–Man;12306100 said:
I wasn't crazy about the original score.

I personally liked it. I look forward to what the new score will be.

I was watching Mad Max 2 : the Road Warrior the other night and there are some parts of that score which would fit perfectly with the character of the Punisher.

I'd like them to use a score with a real hard edge to it that mirrors Frank.

I liked the main score for the first film, as well "Step Up" and another of my favorites was the El Mariachi song. But I say no, do a new score, make one even better.

I think the original's films score was great...for that film. New crew, new actors = new score

Exactly.

I LOVED the theme, the music was one of the best things about the first movie, I hope to hell it's going to keep going, or at least take bits from it, because otherwise, it'll probably suck.

(...)
I would hate for this wonderful theme to only be seen it what will undoubtedly be considered in 20 years time just one very obscure film, but that's only my opinion. What do you guys think?

To refresh your memories it plays in the beginning here:

No, no, no ! :o I love westerns and it feels like a perfect score for Unforgiven, but this was wrong for the Punisher.

Allow me as well to refresh your memories (and give you back that geek-gasm we all felt back then), and the score in the teaser trailer was PERFECT !!!

[YT]LlKYezlaCzk[/YT]

No, no, no ! :o I love westerns and it feels like a perfect score for Unforgiven, but this was wrong for the Punisher.

Allow me as well to refresh your memories (and give you back that geek-gasm we all felt back then), and the score in the teaser trailer was PERFECT !!!

Agree completely - as much as the 1st theme was good; it fit a Western and stylistically, not what I would asscociate with the Punisher.

I remember that teaser trailer well -there were quite a few folk on these boards singing that music's praises when it came out.

I'd like something like it - just a little bit meaner and uncompromising.

Depends on what this film will be. If it's a Superman Returns type of sequel, keep it- the score, all of it, was absolutely beautiful. If it's a reboot, obviously get something new.

Since Hensleigh was the man who hired the composer, my guess is that they won't use the same music as the last movie. Alexander will probably hire her own composer as well and distance herself from the last movie as much as possible.

I also don't think that score music would fit Lexi Alexander's filmmaking style.

Anyone knows how was the score in Hooligans ?

SUPERBENITEZ : good description, that music is just meaner, not old timer lol. ;)

Anyone knows how was the score in Hooligans ?

SUPERBENITEZ : good description, that music is just meaner, not old timer lol. ;)

I don't really remember there being a score. It was mostly a soundtrack of various bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"