8. Donnie Darko
7. Watchmen
6. Slumdog Millionaire
5. The Departed
4. Up
3. Sideways
2. Inglourious Basterds
1. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Interpret it however you want, but coming up with something new that wasn't intended is just a wrong assumption, no matter how you twist the material to fit it. It's like those delusional people who find sex in everything.

You may not intend it, consciously, but sometimes art can reflect societal norms or differences without the creator of that art even realizing it. That's why I used the Transformers example, as Sarge pointed out. There can be some circumstance where people reach for interpretations, but we are free to see in art whatever we want to see.

Intention can be important in art. It is interesting to see what an artist wants to convey through their work. Paintings like Olympia, or books like 1984, you need to know the intention of the creator to really understand the work. But their intention doesn't stop me from getting to criticize it if I disagree with it or have a different interpretation of the work. Michael Bay may think that really sexy scantily clad women and racial stereotypes are just good fun. I think they're offensive and embody outdated gender and racial roles. I can bring up evidence to prove my point, just as I'm sure Bay could to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"