Sequels The Original Cast Appreciation Thread

I don't really see the Gambit movie happening, I think they would at least try to put Channing tatum with the other X-Men cast members first.

Isn't that what they are doing? XMA and then his own spin off in 2018.

Isn't that what they are doing? XMA and then his own spin off in 2018.

Allegedly yeah. Might not be the 2018 flick though, but it could be. They are definitely talking a solo after Apocaylpse, but nothing is set in stone. Same with the others.

I'm guessing these solos are not being included in their slate at this time. Probably don't want anything else green lit till the returns for DOFP come in. They have had plenty of time to plan their slate now.

Last edited:
The only way I see Gambit having his own film is if they are out of options for the team X-Men movies like the core four of FC4 doesn't want to comeback, the OT cast doesn't want to comeback and Hugh Jackman no longer wants to return for a solo Wolverine movie.

If Channing Tatum gives an amazing job in Apocalypse and the FC cast signed up for another 3-picture deal, its possible that Gambit would just appear in a FC4 movie, then if there's another OT film, they could do another cross-over film with 80s or 90s characters and who knows both cast would meet face to face in the film for a change.

But a Gambit film? Do they really think it could perform like a Wolverine movie? I'm afraid if it underperforms, it would just do damage to the film series at the box-office. And if they could do the movie with a lower budget like 50 million, then why haven't they done it before?

I know you hate Solos, other teams, spin offs or whatever. But one of these is gonna get made soon if DOFP grabs the numbers they want. They are not planning all these films just for fun with the intention to scrap later. They spend money on developing these with the intention of being made.

If Jackmans last flick is in fact The Wolverine 2, unless they recast immediately(which I highly doubt they will) then they are definitely gonna want some new blood who can make money on solos as well as team flicks. They already know that formula works for them.

Last edited:
I know you hate Solos, other teams, spin offs or whatever.

In-correct, I'm open for spin-offs if they will do great business and won't cause franchise fatigue. And business-wise. it doesn't seem the best option. Why do you think Fox hasn't released a movie without Wolverine, Magneto and Professor X? Even if Gambit/Deadpool/X-Force get released eventually like in 2018, it still took Fox 18 years to release a X-film without the core-three.

Last edited:
You can't have X-Men franchise fatigue with new characters and movies that are not called X-Men or Wolverine, that's not how it works. An action comedy about a foul mouthed non mutant mercenary will not hurt the X-Men franchise as a whole. X-Men fans will never satisfy their X-Men interest with a Deadpool movie and Deadpool fans will never be satisfied with just X-Men films. Wolverine is the only character in X-Men pushing fatigue with the number of films and people will still pay. X-Men fatigue comes from giving us an overabundance of the same stories, titles, characters and most of all poor qaulity films after another. In fact, I'd call superhero movie fatigue nothing then a myth in general. The only proof of fatigue is when franchises are not up to par quality wise with audiences. Like what's happening to Spider-Man right now or has happened to X-Men and Batman in the past.

Two of those new properties from Fox are their own franchises that don't even need to cross paths with the X-Men ever to work.

Why do you think Fox hasn't released a movie without Wolverine, Magneto and Professor X?
Becase they ****ed up royally with Origins 5 years ago. That was meant to launch Gambit and Deadpool films. You know this. The studio failed hard on the way there, never got the bigger picture of X-Men, and very well may still not get it when it comes to other characters. They killed off Cyclops in the 3rd film, ruined Deadpool, Wolverine's Origin, Phoenix, Psylocke etc. These were not the choices of a studio that knew what to do. It took 14 years to get to Sentinels and has even longer for Cyclops to get developed. That's ridiculous, for whatever reason.

We are now in a time where characters no one gave a crap about are making big money and every studio is paying attention. Fox has well known names with a fan base and they know this now more then ever. X-Men had to fix it's franchise in order to move forward, and we now have that with DOFP.

With the way Donner is pushing not only Tatum but a Gambit Solo as well to make news, it's seeming a bit more likely. Quite a bit different then the way she has handled Deadpool and X-Force. She didn't say " we may be making some solos" she said "definitely some solos".

Personally, I'm not exactly pushing for a Gambit film like the other flicks due to the fact I know he will pop up in team films with a decent role while the others won't. But she is clearly trying to make a Gambit flick happen with an actor people know, that can be made somewhat cheap and also not have a rating issue like Deadpool. Makes sense. Could it fail? Of course, every film can. But it could also make them $$$$.

Last edited:
Hmm I doubt Origins was really gonna be a launching pad for the Deadpool/Gambit solo films. The thing is with the producers of the X-Men aka Lauren Shuler Donner, she has a lot of ideas that she wants to produce in a film and thats normal because producing movies is what she does for a living. But just because she says they are considering it or the script is good, it doesn't mean it will happen. 20th Century Fox still has the final say and like me, they aren't confident with releasing films that aren't featuring the core three. If Origins went well, the Young X-Men movie (featuring the younger version of Cyclops/Emma Silverfox) after that The Wolverine. Deadpool/X-Force would still be lost in the mix. And even if you say times has changed, why didn't X-Force get the release date first before X-Men:Apocalypse/Wolverine 3? X-Force was announced earlier remember?

Hmm I doubt Origins was really gonna be a launching pad for the Deadpool/Gambit solo films.

It was supposed to, but the reaction was so negative and even meh reaction with Gambit that it got scrapped. That wasn't what they wanted to happen. They were shoved in the film for pretty much strictly solo possibilites and were not in the original script. There were clearly plans for the studio to go with Deadpool hence the ending credit scene and the script/Director hiring for that film. Who are still on board, but who knows what they are thinking with that.

With the negative reaction to that film it changed every plan they had. Who knows what would have been green lit for sure. But again the two characters that are always brought up are Deadpool and Gambit. There will be no shocker when those films appear.

And even if you say times has changed, why didn't X-Force get the release date first before X-Men:Apocalypse/Wolverine 3? X-Force was announced earlier remember?
Don't know but wish I did. Maybe the X-Force script sucks or they are waiting for box office returns on DOFP. A clear answer is what everyone has been waiting for. Never said things have officially changed for Fox regarding these other properties. Their current line up is the exact same as it was last decade. But they do have intentions and are now more aware of the characters they own as well as what audiences are willing to buy into now adays. That much is clear. Sooner or later it will happen. Be it 5 or ten or 20 years from now. If you wanna talk about fatigue, giving us the same thing is how you get there.

Apocalypse has a date because it's a direct follow up to what is working with actors and a Director signed. There's no reason for X-Force to have priority over that film cause it's in no position to. It's a different property all together. Right now they have not shown much confidence in Deadpool or X-Force. But now that Gambits been cast, switched with a more marketable actor and Wolverines' times is almost up. I'm pretty sure they are looking for a temp replacement for Logan till they decide to recast. Again, it's only a matter of time.

We'll see. While I'm in no way opposed to a Gambit film and think he's one of the few who can pull it off... I'd much rather see Gambit having a larger role in team films instead. The solo properties I really want are ones that essentially won't be in team films or have a big role there.

Last edited:
Rob Liefeld said the X-Force script was commissioned, then approved by Fox, but it's in limbo until they can make sure it will do well

Rob Liefeld said the X-Force script was commissioned, then approved by Fox, but it's in limbo until they can make sure it will do well

Which I'd assume means DOFP needs to make lots of money.

But really there's no way to know with those characters till they try. They are all new.

Last edited:
Which I'd assume means DOFP needs to make lots money.

But really there's no way to know with those characters till they try. They are all new.

Yep definitely, unless they put one familiar name in a lot of the marketing would have to go towards them stressing how it's an X-Men spinoff but grittier. With Jeff Wadlow now attached to MOTU it will need a director anyway, although he was never confirmed to be directing just writing.

Yeah, hopefully things work out. But who knows.

Fox is just scared of the new and will never admit it.

Last edited:
I hope they'll come back. You know, they have a lot of catching up to do. :grin:

That's not what the end of DoFP suggested.

COnsidering the other non FC films are kind of non-canon after time travel.The wolverine In Apocalypse may simply be one Mystique disguised as stryker rescues from drowning.It's still unclear if the new 2023 will be seen again

Sigh. They are not non-canon, Singer already said that they are not erasing films and he believes in alternate timelines. Just because they now exist in an alternate timeline or Timeline #2, it doesn't mean the previous films are not canon anymore. They are just moving forward but it doesn't mean, the things that happened in the previous film are totally gone. Just the fact that they are still considering Apocalypse as an inbetween is a big indication, that they will to some keep things from the original trilogy but due to the effect of changing the past, there will be differences. Differences that might be brought up in the future.

Time travel Is doing away with non-FC films with exception of

X-Men-Magneto In Conceration camp
Origins-1845 through WW2 part of Montage
The wolverine-1945 WWII flashbacks

now you can make case the trilogy and the wolverine are Important to wolverin'e mision In DOFP but if wolverine In future films-Apocalypse,Solo film,possibly another film after that-Is only set In between 1973-2023
then that makes non-FC films even more ilrelvent to future films.

The only thing Patrcik Stewart and other non-Jackman OT cast are in that
"Happened" now Is ending of DOFP.

Jackman may be only OT actor who will return In future.If mystery 2018 film Is Gambit,or Deadpool,or X-force that would almost for sure say DOFP Is end of original Cast. Even if they brought back Original cast again they would be future versions of FC/DOFP/APocalypse world. You would be bringing back cast from trilogy that now didn't happen In timeline.

What are odds against the OT cast compare to a Gambit/Deadpool or X-Force film being released in July 2018? The creative forces behind Deadpool/X-Force aren't heavily active right now trying to make the film to enter production. Which couldn't be said to a possible 5th OT cast, you have Bryan Singer back who worked with the OT cast, you have the writers of X2/X3 back who worked with the OT cast and Lauren Shuler Donner who's always open in making more film with the OT cast. Even Hugh Jackman said it was great reuniting the OT cast and Patrick Stewart already hinted at possibly returning.

And no, Apocalypse would likely act as a prequel to the altered future. The Altered future/the 1973 parts of DOFp both exist in 1 timeline.

Holy ****, epiphany.

What if APOCALYPSE ends in a cliffhanger where it's obvious that while the FIRST CLASS characters defeated the character of Apocalypse, it was a temporary defeat?

What if he returns to the new future of 2023 to have one final battle with the cast of the Original Trilogy...considering the new future of 2023 is connected to the events of 1973?

X-Men 5 would be a sequel to APOCALYPSE, just with the Original Cast.

Truthfully if OC returns then 2018 film has to be with them.

Taking them at their word about Apocalypse is that besides wolverine In New
timeline it will Involve FC Cast and new actors. When it comes to wolverine solo film I am going to remain skeptical on it being based on Old man Logan just as
I will be skeptical on Hugh Jackman leaving till he actully does or says 100 percent this Is my last film.

The fact that the films with OT cast have been removed from contunity raises doudt they will return.The future wolverine wakes up In at end of DOFP IS clearly future that comes out of 1973 part of DOFP.That's clear In conversation
between wolverine and Xavier.

To see the OT cast again depends on wheither they want to revisit the new future.But,you would be doing sequel where the only connection to OT Is wolverine's memory of it
and fact Xavier knows some things because of wolverine In past
the only frame of reference the audence has now with OT cast Is ending of DOFP

Holy ****, epiphany.

What if APOCALYPSE ends in a cliffhanger where it's obvious that while the FIRST CLASS characters defeated the character of Apocalypse, it was a temporary defeat?

What if he returns to the new future of 2023 to have one final battle with the cast of the Original Trilogy...considering the new future of 2023 is connected to the events of 1973?

X-Men 5 would be a sequel to APOCALYPSE, just with the Original Cast.

That would be great!

Actually, I was thinking of this the other night.

What if X-Men: Apocalypse, Wolverine 3 and the untitled 2018 film (which might feature the OT cast) end up as a Apocalypse trilogy? That would be cool!

Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Xavier and Bishop. Thats my bet

Wolverine will be in past with FC cast.

My bet is Xavier and possible others seen In new future at end of DOFP will appear with
Wolverine In bookending film at begining and End of film

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"