The Perfect Hulk Movie

How much of the psychological thriller and horror aspects would people like to have from the old TV series?

Note: I'm not talking about making Hulk mute or having Banner constantly on the run. That should go without saying, but somehow it feels like it needs to be said.

I don't know what Ang was thinking. It made that last battle scene with his Absorbing-dad impossible to watch.

You'd have thought someone at Universal would have done some tests just to see if it would work before editing the entire highly expensive movie that way. But I think Universal was simply being a pushover(it's not the first or last time for them), dazzled by Lee's Oscar and just let him get away with far too much. It's a lesson in allowing some auteur to run roughshot over a studio and also a lesson that sometimes studios themselves should be the auteurs who have a vision of what to do with an IP. After the success of Spider-man, I think Universal thought this was in the bag once they got Lee to make the film. And it's a lesson they would need repeated over and over with the likes of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. You can't just blindly trust a director simply because he/she's an auteur and has some accolades to their name. Often times a solid craftsman is better than an auteur.

How much of the psychological thriller and horror aspects would people like to have from the old TV series?

Note: I'm not talking about making Hulk mute or having Banner constantly on the run. That should go without saying, but somehow it feels like it needs to be said.

A lot, I would think. Hulk essentially is a dark character and his movies should be on the darker end of the spectrum. He's all about tragedy after all and that tends to be dark.

A lot, I would think. Hulk essentially is a dark character and his movies should be on the darker end of the spectrum. He's all about tragedy after all and that tends to be dark.

After all these years, even with its cheesy special effects and only having a man in green body paint, the 70s Hulk still feels to me like the scariest version. I think it's because of the horror aspects and the tension and suspense they managed to generate that had you on the edge of your seat. You could literally feel it building toward a Hulk out and Banner's anger rising like a pressure cooker about to blow, and the transformations seemed like something to be feared. I've never felt that same sense with any of the other portrayals of the Hulk on the big screen.

And Lou Ferrigno's first appearance as the Hulk in the midst of the thunderstorm is still the most impressive debut of the monster on screen. He looked huge and scary with all that lightning and rain coming down.

On another note, I would also like Hulk to have a slightly Cold War-ish feel to it. Of course, the actual Cold War has ended, but what I liked about the early comics is that there seemed to be various enemies from "the other side" such as the Abomination or the Gremlin. I wish that Blonsky in TIH was actually an enemy agent and not someone working with General Ross. He could've been Russia or whoever's answer to the Hulk with their own version of the Super Soldier Serum (since we have to keep it within the MCU continuity).

Maybe Leviathan could have actually gotten some of Steve Rogers' blood from Peggy Carter and used it to manufacture their own SSS which could have gone awry and created the Abomination. It's a little late for that now. But they could still use it for other Gamma-mutated monsters.

After all these years, even with its cheesy special effects and only having a man in green body paint, the 70s Hulk still feels to me like the scariest version. I think it's because of the horror aspects and the tension and suspense they managed to generate that had you on the edge of your seat. You could literally feel it building toward a Hulk out and Banner's anger rising like a pressure cooker about to blow, and the transformations seemed like something to be feared. I've never felt that same sense with any of the other portrayals of the Hulk on the big screen.

I think the bottling plant fight in TIH came the closest to capturing that feeling.

I still hope that in the fullness of time we'll get one-off, out of continuity/Elseworlds type movies that allow exploration that simply wouldn't work within the confines of the MCU. Then maybe we can get a 1960's Cold War origin story done comics accurate for Hulk because that's the only way I see it ever happening at this point. You don't need to reboot the MCU just to have these side movies so why not?

Because there's something about tinkering with the greatest, most powerful weapon ever conceived being eventually the thing that creates the most powerful creature in history that fits in a way that just being a super soldier serum mistake doesn't. Why is Hulk so many thousands and thousands of times more powerful than Captain America if the same basic thing was done to both of them? It doesn't add up and never did, at a gut level(yes, I realize this is all fantasy anyway).

Last edited:
I think the bottling plant fight in TIH came the closest to capturing that feeling.

I think part of the suspense that was built in TIH TV series was also the music.

This "Growing Anger" theme contributed a lot to it when there was a build up to the Hulk out and then the inevitable transformation.

[YT]513BLEI5MXU[/YT]

It still sends a chill down my spine listening to this theme.

Future Imperfect, Crossroads Saga, Hulk: The End, The Pantheon, Ground Zero, The Brute That Shouted Love At The Heart Of An Atom, are all great stories.

Future Imperfect would be an outstanding story to see in live-action, but too many people would be confused by the Professor incarnation. As much as I like the MCU, it hasn't done much so far to advance the Hulk beyond the Savage incarnation from the horrid TV series. To non-readers, the Hulk is a biological transformation rather than manifestations of Bruce's psychology.

I can imagine (and shutter) at all of the criticism that would be leveled at an adaptation of The End. People would whine about the villains being bugs, about Bruce's screen time, and about the lack of smashing. It would be the '03 movie all over again, only worse. :whatever:

I don't think The End would make a good feature length movie at all. It might make a good short film/One Shot though.

It would probably do better as an animated feature.

Future Imperfect would be an outstanding story to see in live-action, but too many people would be confused by the Professor incarnation. As much as I like the MCU, it hasn't done much so far to advance the Hulk beyond the Savage incarnation from the horrid TV series. To non-readers, the Hulk is a biological transformation rather than manifestations of Bruce's psychology.

That's why you wouldn't just go directly there in the next Hulk movie. Hulk needs his own thriving franchise so you can show progression and build to stuff like the Professor incarnation and have it as set up for a possible Future Imperfect movie. The main problem is that due to the nature of the character a Hulk film(when done right) will always cost significantly more and demand a full 3 year turn around time to make(at least) passed what movies for other characters will cost and how long they will take to produce. But will Marvel make any extra $ for the extra effort they have to put into it? No wonder for the present they've shelved Hulk's own franchise in favor of the others.

Last edited:

I'm not a Hulk fan(read the Bruce Jones run) but piggybacking off what you said made me think. Maybe the reason the Hulk vs. military doesn't work on screen is cause in cinema, the military vs. monster is usually aliens. If you go back to the horror aspect then the movie would need to humanize the military beyond just Ross.

So if I would redo the origin, it would probably make the villain on screen first and have Banner working with a group of army scientist to capture it(maybe Absorbing man) then have the accident. Then it's confusion about two monsters on scene. Once they realize it's Bruce they try to capture him.

That way the Hulk gets to speak. Introduce Betty/Bruce's relationship as a flashback and someone Hulk sees as a ghost to show the struggle between the two minds.

Maybe set it in Alaska around a small town and a military outpost.

Last edited:
They could take it more psychological I suppose...to a degree. Maybe even allow Banner to talk to the Hulk in a dream state. Though we have already seen Banner is in control now since Avengers so we wouldn't need a film to go to indepth into the Banner/Hulk issue.

Yea I've had similar ideas. I think they should explore Hulks multiple personalities and see how they relate to his transformations. Mr Fix it, Savage etc. They need to definitely evolve him into at least limited conversation, and maybe have him fracture off into other personas. It would actually give Dr Samson a reason to cameo as he is a psychiatrist.

Strong supporting cast is important. Winter soldier worked because Rogers was able to bounce off Black Widow, Nick Fury, Falcon etc. Everyone seems to think Hulk will work best as part of a colorful group, so lets give him his own. Dr Samson, Jen Walters, Rick Jones, Betty, Amadeus Cho etc.

In this version Rick could be one of Leaders test subjects (Potential Abomb). Banner feels a sense of responsibility because Leader has been using the synthesized Banner blood to experiment on people. Takes Rick under his wing, tries to help and mentor him. Some buddy movie elements, Betty will be around, but no intrusive love story lines. I like the Indestructible Hulk storyline with Banner doing missions for SHIELD.

Last edited:
I'd rather they build on Bruce & Betty (correctly this time) so that maybe someday down the line she can become Red She-Hulk. But I definitely agree that Rick Jones need to finally be introduced. Two solo movies & only a small reference. That just ain't right.

They could take it more psychological I suppose...to a degree. Maybe even allow Banner to talk to the Hulk in a dream state. Though we have already seen Banner is in control now since Avengers so we wouldn't need a film to go to indepth into the Banner/Hulk issue.

Banner is only in control when he plans out his episodes. If he turns on accident he has no control. Which is implied by the Hulkbuster/Hulk fight and the Helicarrier sequence. The dynamic between the two of them has never been touched on directly, aside from the fact that they turn into eachother. There has been form of dialogue or interaction on screen thus far. Dedicating a movie to delve into their mindsets, from both points of view, would be awesome.

Mark Ruffalo has hinted at this in his interviews and I think it would make for a great film.

In other news, check out the awesome posters for Age of Ultron (can't wait for the Hulks!)
http://otlnews.net/2015/02/25/age-of-ultron-posters-abound-as-the-premiere-date-looms/

The Hulk vs the Thing. CGI for the Hulk and the Thing. Actors for Banner and Grimm

Story line two mortal human men meet and bond. Grimm and Banner are enjoying being human for a while. They go out for a drink at a bar and discuss their life’s pain. Banner is fearful of the Hulk actions. The Thing is upset that he’s viewed as a monster. It's pure old fashion male bonding.

Then something strange happens. A green man with a big head and a space ship meet. They shake hands. Its the Leader and Skrulls.

The bartender and waiter are Skrulls. They slip something into Grimms’s and Banner’s drink and food to make him angry. An odd bluish ray hits them both that amplify the effects. Grimm gets a little testy when Banner cracks a joke about The Things in-ability to be intimate with a woman. Rocks down there he says?! Grimm grabs Banner’s shirt. They struggle and out come the THING AND THE HULK.

The two do battle and tear up a city block. The Thing has the upper hand for the first 60 seconds of action, then the Hulk takes over. Just as the two are ready for round three, they are zapped by a device of the Leader's making.

They wake up as the Thing and the Hulk on an alien land with a Las Vegas betting style odds hovering above them on a jumbo Screen. Some of Marvel obscure character’s that are also viewed as monsters ( Sasquatch ) are also on the board.

Survival odds. The Thing 2-1 against. The Hulk even money! HULK leaps up and smashes the board.

WTF? It's a giant intergalactic zoo full of deadly robots and the most dangerous animals alive. Can the Hulk and the Thing overcome their differences and team together to make it out alive?

Primary foes: The Leader and the Skrulls.

Last edited:
Been thinking about that one a lot, haven't you?

On that note it does bug me that we'll never see those two get together unless Fox resigns them back to Marvel.

Been thinking about that one a lot, haven't you?

On that note it does bug me that we'll never see those two get together unless Fox resigns them back to Marvel.

For 15 minutes of this thread, yes I did. What did you think? Hulk vs. Thing is one of the most classic things ( pun intended ) that Marvel has ever done.

And by using robots and monsters, " killing " is all right in the PG 13 type of world they film in.

I think a good Hulk movie would be hard to pull off, mainly because of the nature of the character. We want to see the Hulk, but for Bruce Banner as a character, that's the last thing he wants to happen. Plus you have the issue of Hulk going crazy and not being able to control his powers in the same way other heroes can. They did try to fix this in Avengers by giving Banner more of a control, and I think if you go that route, you can do it. Still, Hulk in nature is just such a tricky character. He will destroy half a city even if he is fighting a bad guy and doing something good.

Kevin was talking about three hulk films but in other people's movies right? What other hulk stories need to be adapted? I desperately want to see Hulk: The End but what could be the middle one?

Just team him up with doc strange and do the defenders? (No ones going to miss the tv version)

I hate Ruffalo as Banner but I love his Hulk. Ruffalo's Banner just feels so forced and unnatural. Plus he has a face I'd love to punch. I can't wait for them to get rid of Ruffalo for whatever reason. I'd hate entire Hulk movie with Ruffalo as Banner.
I prefer Bana and Norton by far but I'd like to see someone who can pull off an unassuming demeanor with a quiet intensity really well in the role. I think Sam Rockwell or Joseph Fiennes would've been ideal or Shia Labeouf for someone younger. Honestly, I'd take anyone over Ruffalo doh. I'm just not a fan at all.

I think Ang Lee's Hulk was a minor masterpiece, My only problem with it was the final battle but I still love this movie and the way it explored Bruce's repressed anger.
One of the things I absolutely hated about TIH was the fact that it didn't take Bruce to get angry to turn into Hulk. This movie literally had nothing to do with his rage and I thought It was so stupid to get rid of that, especially when they brought back the anger aspect in the Avengers.
Rage has always made The Hulk what he is and that shouldn't change. Changing that kinda ruined it for me.

I love Connelly and I liked her Betty Ross better overall but I really enjoyed Tyler's Ross too. I just think she has a sweetness to her soul that serves as a nice contrast against a character like Hulk. I just don't think it really worked for TiH cuz of the fact that Banner's Rage was non existent in the film. Sam Elliot was great as Ross too and for me, the highlight of Hulk'03.

I always preferred a bulkier looking Hulk and I think The Avengers Hulk pretty much perfected that look. The more monstrous he looks, the better in my opinion.

I think the perfect Hulk movie would be a cross between Fincher's Fight Club, Cronenberg's Dead Ringers/The Fly/A History of Violence, Evans' Mr. Brooks with the tension building/cat and mouse thrills of movies like McTiernan's Basic or Carpenter's The Thing and with the destruction and action of movies like Man of Steel, Mad Max Fury Road or Planet Terror.

Have Gore Verbinski, James Cameron or Denis Villeneuve direct it and it'd be something excitingly crazy!

Personally, I want an R-rated adaptation inspired by Beware The Hulk, Return of the Monster, Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine with Days of Rage, Stay Angry, and Always on my Mind. One could make a great Solo Hulk movie out of the material here.

Get Waititi on a version with Mark using elements from the David run, like the Pantheon, and have Leader as a background presence. Use the U-Foes as the main baddies. Waititi could give us a fun and action packed Hulk, but should also utilize the strong dramatic chops Mark brings to the table. Reunite Banner with the other supporting cast members from IH. Oh... and one more thing...

GIVE US RICK MUTHA EFFING JONES!!

Cast this dude as him:
stranger-things-steve-harrington-season-2.jpg

All that is in Waititi's wheelhouse.

How can people accuse Hulk of being a boring character not capable of carrying his own movie? Hulk had a successful TV show that ran for five seasons.

Just adapt the best episodes into feature length films.

Hulk also has an astonishgly decent rogues gallery, but too many times they've been used with other heroes. The entire Fall of the Hulks storyline would work way too well. I know it'd be trite and pandering but other heroes getting turned into Hulk versions of themselves with Banner/Hulk being the only sane Hulk in the picture trying to get them back to normal would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"