The Photography Thread - Part 1

Midnyte,

Closer the better, but I had this about 5 feet away since my son likes to move around a lot and didn't want to poke him in the eye with the brella shaft.

I'm always afraid that it will wash out the colors if I get too close because I don't have that much experience to change the power settings on my flash. From all those you posted, I still liked the 2nd one. I know you said the room was dark, and I noticed a yellowish shadow on some. I get that a lot on my own family photos and I can't stand it...I think my problem is caused by fluorescent bulbs.

Midnyte,

It's something you have to experiment with, IMO. Are you shooting manually when you are doing this, or are you using ETTL? There is a difference in how they behave if that's what your doing.

Yeah, I brought the shutter down a little bit to bring in ambient cause I wanted to see if it would overpower or not. It was just one big test since I tend to shoot manually, but this will make shooting kids ALOT easier, or if I'm there just for a few minutes. The only issue with ETTL it's not accurate from shot to shot as you can see. I was checking to see if stayed within the range.

Midnyte,

It's something you have to experiment with, IMO. Are you shooting manually when you are doing this, or are you using ETTL? There is a difference in how they behave if that's what your doing.

Yeah, I brought the shutter down a little bit to bring in ambient cause I wanted to see if it would overpower or not. It was just one big test since I tend to shoot manually, but this will make shooting kids ALOT easier, or if I'm there just for a few minutes. The only issue with ETTL it's not accurate from shot to shot as you can see. I was checking to see if stayed within the range.

Manual mostly.

Can anyone here recommend a good fish eye lens? I don't think I want a circular one, but a rectangular. Also, should I get a crop sensor one, or a full frame? ( I do want to eventually upgrade to full frame).

Midnyte,

Nice find. All right. Just curious, and that's the best way to learn, IMO. It took a long time for me to have it sink in, and I think a lot of people give up before it even reach's that point.

1) Sneek Peek of a shot I did today -
IMG_5703.jpg

Midnyte,

Nice find. All right. Just curious, and that's the best way to learn, IMO. It took a long time for me to have it sink in, and I think a lot of people give up before it even reach's that point.

1) Sneek Peek of a shot I did today -
IMG_5703.jpg

Very cool. Please say you're making money now? You've obviously got the skills to shoot good family portraits.

Stars tonight

midnight111820121of1.jpg

For some reason, I can't get the quality to show on these uploads...anybody have any tips for uploading to web?

Last edited:
Very cool. Please say you're making money now? You've obviously got the skills to shoot good family portraits.

This is a funny one, really. Apparently my style isn't for everyone, and I really need to start pushing the envelope, tho. At any rate, I've only been shooting co workers, and that's it.

Sunrise taken today

Awesome colours!

Stars tonight
For some reason, I can't get the quality to show on these uploads...anybody have any tips for uploading to web?

Image stacking? Did you have a mount and winged it? Just curious, for that is another side hobby of photography I wanna try since I live out in NM. Clear skies for miles.

For your question, no, not really due that the web compresses the crap out of images.

This is a funny one, really. Apparently my style isn't for everyone, and I really need to start pushing the envelope, tho. At any rate, I've only been shooting co workers, and that's it.

Now's the time!

Image stacking? Did you have a mount and winged it? Just curious, for that is another side hobby of photography I wanna try since I live out in NM. Clear skies for miles.

For your question, no, not really due that the web compresses the crap out of images.

Darn. I know there's something to do with creating a color profile, and something to do with pixel count that is preferred for web display...I've looked at a few videos on YT, but it's just not sinking in yet.

For that starry night picture, I pretty much winged it. It was a tripod, some caffeine, and an idea that you shouldn't shoot longer than 30 seconds because of streaking. Oh, BTW, I got myself a fish eye lens, its a Canon 8-15mm Fish Eye. That way, when I upgrade to full frame, I can use it for circular.

Now's the time!

Darn. I know there's something to do with creating a color profile, and something to do with pixel count that is preferred for web display...I've looked at a few videos on YT, but it's just not sinking in yet.

For that starry night picture, I pretty much winged it. It was a tripod, some caffeine, and an idea that you shouldn't shoot longer than 30 seconds because of streaking. Oh, BTW, I got myself a fish eye lens, its a Canon 8-15mm Fish Eye. That way, when I upgrade to full frame, I can use it for circular.

Thank you! Still not as strong as I would like to be, but I'm slowly getting there, IMO. Now I'm starting to understand how light really works, and going to move onto more lights. =) I mean, I've used two before, but going 3 plus a few more to start adding depth.

That's pretty dang good! I saw ya shot high, but getting that many stars is what amazed me to be honest.

Yep! Eventually I'll get a full frame too, and all of my current glass is oriented for that. Just need to get a 85, and a wide angle lens and then I'm in the park of whatever I'll ever need, IMO. I'm starting to travel with less and less gear. Thinking outside of the box to make it work.

Thank you! Still not as strong as I would like to be, but I'm slowly getting there, IMO. Now I'm starting to understand how light really works, and going to move onto more lights. =) I mean, I've used two before, but going 3 plus a few more to start adding depth.

That's pretty dang good! I saw ya shot high, but getting that many stars is what amazed me to be honest.

Yep! Eventually I'll get a full frame too, and all of my current glass is oriented for that. Just need to get a 85, and a wide angle lens and then I'm in the park of whatever I'll ever need, IMO. I'm starting to travel with less and less gear. Thinking outside of the box to make it work.

I remember you said, you got this Tamron lens that you use for almost every type of shootiong, which one was it? I need a good lens for portraits and video, I'm thinking the new Canon pancake lens, but I probably just need a good 35mm (for eventual full frame) one.

Love this shot! Orion the Hunter followed by Sirius.

I love astronomy, but I really wanted to capture the milky way, but it wasn't meant to be that night. I think to the left of Orion, there was Mars...Mars has a reddish tinge to it. I think Jupiter was somewhere too, but I forgot where.

I remember you said, you got this Tamron lens that you use for almost every type of shootiong, which one was it? I need a good lens for portraits and video, I'm thinking the new Canon pancake lens, but I probably just need a good 35mm (for eventual full frame) one.

I use this bad boy (Heavy as it looks):

Tamron-70-200mm-f-28-Di-Macro-Lens-With-Hood.jpg

Tamron 70-200mm

Along with a 28-70. It depends on what your needs are, but they the last one makes a fantastic walk around lens, IMO. The other one I tend to use for portraits, tho.

I use this bad boy (Heavy as it looks):

Tamron-70-200mm-f-28-Di-Macro-Lens-With-Hood.jpg

Tamron 70-200mm

Along with a 28-70. It depends on what your needs are, but they the last one makes a fantastic walk around lens, IMO. The other one I tend to use for portraits, tho.

God Damnit!

I'm never going to post in this forum again :argh:

LOL @Thalidomide, what kind of camera do you have again?

Anybody else have tripod dilemmas? I was in a public city area a few months ago and a security guard came by in a few minutes to tell me that tripods are not allowed.

I heard some people say that monopods, gorillapods, are the way to go, but some security guards with power trips will notice you are making a stand and automatically think you are a professional, and hence come and tell you to put it away.

What are ways to stabilize your camera at night time for long exposures without some ridiculous ISO? Have any of you actually gotten permits to shoot in a city with a tripod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"