The Photography Thread - Part 1

I just returned from a mini vacation and i have a ton of pics to share with you all :yay:

IMG_6403_zps168c5cb9.jpg

IMG_6418_zps795cd8f2.jpg

IMG_6425_zps5b58042a.jpg

I liked this cloud, reminded me of a fish lol
IMG_6427_zpsca6c7d25.jpg

IMG_6453_zps2823077f.jpg

IMG_6540_zps1891eb81.jpg

IMG_6548_zps803b33cd.jpg

Some small and playful fishies :yay:
P1010068_zps05880c26.jpg

my canon rebel xt that i had, had died late last year
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital...qid=1370972680&sr=8-4&keywords=canon+rebel+xt

and my family is giving me $500 towards a new one, for a job i did. i can feasibly afford 100-250 more out of my own pocket if i can find an amazing deal

so i'm looking for info on DSLR cameras. I am looking for recommendations. i'm going to use it mostly for sports photography and portraits, so any help is muchly appreciated.

Although most camera's can pump out amazing burst rates of over 1/1000s pictures for sports shots, most don't come with a good telephoto zoom. If you are serious about sports, you might want to invest also in a good 300mm+ zoom lens to get the most out of your camera. The reason why you'd want a good telephoto for sports is that you can focus in on players without getting in their way. As for portraits, most beginner and pro DSLR's come with a nice stock lens that would be fine for portraits.

I'd get something like the new light weight Canon SL1, which you can also hook up Canon lenses to.

Saint Louis, MO

ws2a.jpg

bfdh.jpg

j8cx.jpg

9jy3.jpg

pbj3.jpg

South Lake Tahoe, CA

g8bg.jpg

1qnd.jpg

nngh.jpg

These bears were 1 foot away from our backyard!

Last edited:
Fort Worth TX, Laguna, Santa Monica, and San Francisco, CA

xhpr.jpg

1jcy.jpg

uqix.jpg

h8a2.jpg

2ejw.jpg

02s4.jpg

c5w7.jpg

10ip.jpg

Last edited:
I just returned from a mini vacation and i have a ton of pics to share with you all :yay:

Beautiful water. To think some people get to live in a place like this everyday and probably take it for granted.

Bim and Midnyte Sun,

Wow...you guys are blowing way past me. Just fantastic work all the way around, and putting me to shame. Hahaha. =( I guess I better get out more, but I've been pretty lazy as of late. A lot of work piling up, so that's one of the reasons why I haven't been out.

At any rate, I think I'm dumping my speedlights to go with a studio strobe, as I'm tired of not being able to beat the sun and such. As people always want to shot during noon, and that doesn't always work to well even with shade Almost there, and thinking about getting it when I get back from my brother in law's wedding.

IMG_6403_zps168c5cb9.jpg

IMG_6418_zps795cd8f2.jpg

IMG_6425_zps5b58042a.jpg

I liked this cloud, reminded me of a fish lol
IMG_6427_zpsca6c7d25.jpg

IMG_6453_zps2823077f.jpg

IMG_6540_zps1891eb81.jpg

IMG_6548_zps803b33cd.jpg

Some small and playful fishies :yay:
P1010068_zps05880c26.jpg
All of this is sweet
Thought of the theme of the first stage in Sonic 3

Thanks CC, how goes the DSLR hunting?

oh i forgot to tell yall!

i'd been out of town for a week so i wasn't on the internet, but I got the Canon Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D if that means anything, it's on the book anyways)

i also got two lens with the deal, a 18-55 and a 75-300 telephoto

i've got to learn to use them and practice more, but i got a general idea of the telephoto on auto at our tournament

oh i forgot to tell yall!

i'd been out of town for a week so i wasn't on the internet, but I got the Canon Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D if that means anything, it's on the book anyways)

i also got two lens with the deal, a 18-55 and a 75-300 telephoto

i've got to learn to use them and practice more, but i got a general idea of the telephoto on auto at our tournament

You got a great setup! I have a T3i and I have similar lenses as well. I used a 300mm for the bear shot, and the 18-55 on that botanical garden shot. You'll love both.

Bim and Midnyte Sun,

Wow...you guys are blowing way past me. Just fantastic work all the way around, and putting me to shame. Hahaha. =( I guess I better get out more, but I've been pretty lazy as of late. A lot of work piling up, so that's one of the reasons why I haven't been out.

At any rate, I think I'm dumping my speedlights to go with a studio strobe, as I'm tired of not being able to beat the sun and such. As people always want to shot during noon, and that doesn't always work to well even with shade Almost there, and thinking about getting it when I get back from my brother in law's wedding.

I have the same problem with people wanting to be shot during direct sunlight overhead. I was shooting pictures of the family and they had a shadow across half their faces and sunlight on the other half. I didn't have any flash with me at the time, so I bracketed my shots and got HDR instead to get all the highlights and shadows leveled. Since it was handheld, the results were mixed..but it wasn't too bad.. :O

Look forward to some of your work :)

gorgeous shot!

EPIC!

That's it! I'm unsubsribing!! :argh: LMAO!

lol hey now, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I was surprised to see the Milky Way in those shots, it was a clear night, but I was expecting lots of light pollution from the Bay Area. I wonder how crisp and clear it looks in a truly dark place with zero humidity?

I have the same problem with people wanting to be shot during direct sunlight overhead. I was shooting pictures of the family and they had a shadow across half their faces and sunlight on the other half. I didn't have any flash with me at the time, so I bracketed my shots and got HDR instead to get all the highlights and shadows leveled. Since it was handheld, the results were mixed..but it wasn't too bad.. :O

Look forward to some of your work :)

Still, it's pretty fantastic shot, tho. I do give ya credit it for that, well, all the ones you've posted are pretty dang good I should say. =) Thank you, tho. I'm debating tonight if I should get it or not, as I can afford it, sorta, but yeah. =)

lol hey now, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I was surprised to see the Milky Way in those shots, it was a clear night, but I was expecting lots of light pollution from the Bay Area. I wonder how crisp and clear it looks in a truly dark place with zero humidity?

I'm going to attempt this soon as we get a clear skies, but since it's monsoon season at the moment it's kinda hard. A few guys from my local photography club tried yesterday, but the clouds just persisted, so it was a no go. =(

Yeah, I had the fog rolling in, sea mist, the moon, and San Francisco in my way. If i could see it even with all that, you guys should be good to go lol.

Fort Worth TX, Laguna, Santa Monica, and San Francisco, CA

xhpr.jpg

c5w7.jpg

10ip.jpg
I love these!!

Beautiful water. To think some people get to live in a place like this everyday and probably take it for granted.
I live in such a place and believe me, i still marvel at the sea on a nice clear day. The different shades of blue/green are breathtaking. I actually wished i worked near the beach lol, so i better find such a job fast :cwink:

Tnx Alistair and Spider-Aziz :woot:

Gang,

A quick show off pictures of my new Alien Bee 1600. FYI, this thing can put out 640 watts of power, which I'm hoping can over power the sun. Sadly, it's a very overcast day so I couldn't really doing anything, and as of this point, charging the battery pack for it.

At any rate, these are straight out of camera, no editing what so ever, and now I present to you the horrible picture of a life time!

1)

ISO: 100
Stop: 5.6
Shutter: 250 (Sync speed for my camera)
Distance: 6ft give or take a few.
Power: 1/32

2)

ISO: 100
Stop: 32
Shutter: 250 (Sync speed for my camera)
Distance: 6ft give or take a few.
Power: Full

Very nice!

One of my friends just opened a portrait studio and he has less experience with photos than me. I wonder if I should consider opening a studio or not?

:/

Midnyte,

I can't make it, so really, I wouldn't even bother, and keep as a hobby. That's pretty my the conclusion I've come to, as I can't keep up with everyone. Just using it to supplement my income, or my equipment. Hope that helps?

Anyways, here is some of I took of my brother in law's wedding....

Something a little different for me, at the request of family. This was a real challenge as I used they are on a little gazebo, and all the way around it was water for about 100 feet. Used a studio strobe shot at 3/4 power using pocket wizards. Camera settings ISO 320 to 400 and shutter speed of 200 to 250.

1)

2)

I guess there wasn't much room around the gazebo? Anyways, nice shots. It's always great to have a family member or close friend to shoot some wedding shots for free ;)

I guess there wasn't much room around the gazebo? Anyways, nice shots. It's always great to have a family member or close friend to shoot some wedding shots for free ;)

Thanks. I guess and I really didn't want to shot it at all lemme tell ya. The wife begged me so I finally relented.

Nope, there wasn't room at all and I couldn't even get close. The other way I could have done it was using my flash guns, but if they moved that idea would be done for. The only real option. Plus, didn't have half of the idea what was going on or changed. Hehe.

A couple of days ago our country was hit by a strong typhoon and our neighborhood got flooded. It was kinda dangerous to go outside but I couldn't resist so I took a photo of out place. :woot:

Flooded Streets by huygian, on Flickr

A couple of days ago our country was hit by a strong typhoon and our neighborhood got flooded. It was kinda dangerous to go outside but I couldn't resist so I took a photo of out place. :woot:

Flooded Streets by huygian, on Flickr

Nice shot! I really like the lighting, IMO. Very well done.

Anyways, finally got to test this bad boy outside at high noon down here. Shot both of these at F20 and Shutter: 250. I believe 3/4 give a take a quarter of a stop on the Bee. Stupid thing I did I shot these in JPEG, so it's pretty much straight out of camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"