The Photography Thread - Part 1

So I've finally been saving up for a new camera now that I finally have a job, and I think I know exactly which one I'm going to get in a few weeks, but I had a question about lenses. I'm planning on getting a Canon EOS Rebel T3 bundle, which comes with both the 18-55mm lens and a 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is good enough for now, and what kind of lens should I look into getting later on down the line. My last camera was an advanced point and shoot, so I know how to mess with things like the shutter speed, aperture and ISO, but I don't really have experience with changing lens or knowing what works best for which situation.

I think that is more than enough in my opinion, specially if you're still new at using dslrs. I'm using my 18-55mm lens for about 2 years now because I haven't got any plans and the money to buy a new one and so far I'm not having any problems with it whether I'm using it for portrait or landscape shots. Hope to see your shots here soon, buddy :)

I think that is more than enough in my opinion, specially if you're still new at using dslrs. I'm using my 18-55mm lens for about 2 years now because I haven't got any plans and the money to buy a new one and so far I'm not having any problems with it whether I'm using it for portrait or landscape shots. Hope to see your shots here soon, buddy :)
Thanks. The main purpose of me getting a new camera now is because I want to have it in time for New York Comic Con, because I love taking pictures of people dressed up there. But after comparing some of my photos with others from last year, I realized that as great of a job that my camera did for me in the past, its still very limited. And one of the things I've been looking to achieve is the depth of field where the person of focus is nice and sharp, while the background is very blurry and out of focus. I could never really achieve that bokeh in the dark lighting of the convention center.

i2f6.jpg

Very nice... Tried my hand at some moon shots a while back, but never got them to come out well

Wow, it's been awhile since I've ventured into here, and quite active.

Nice work guys! I have a lot of work to catch up on don't I? Pushing the envelope a little bit. Haha.

I shot another senior down in Mesilla (Near Las Cruces), and turned out pretty dang well, I say. What was nice I got to use my studio strobe for a second time, and man that little thing is a tank. Just need to get some ND filters. Anyone have experience with some good clean all in one ND filter?

I think next year I'm going start getting into Astro, and see what becomes of that as I want to explore other parts of photography. I hate landscape for everyone does it in this time, so time to do something different. Hehe.

It was a Looong while back.... Think I was just trying out different shutter speeds at the time.

Wow, it's been awhile since I've ventured into here, and quite active.

Nice work guys! I have a lot of work to catch up on don't I? Pushing the envelope a little bit. Haha.

I shot another senior down in Mesilla (Near Las Cruces), and turned out pretty dang well, I say. What was nice I got to use my studio strobe for a second time, and man that little thing is a tank. Just need to get some ND filters. Anyone have experience with some good clean all in one ND filter?

I think next year I'm going start getting into Astro, and see what becomes of that as I want to explore other parts of photography. I hate landscape for everyone does it in this time, so time to do something different. Hehe.

Please please do this. I was lurking in some astrophotography blogs and forums and the rigs these guys have are just truly amazing. Some people go out and buy a classic car, these guys go out and buy $8,000 worth of equipment and make their own backyard telescopes.

From what I remember at the rig that I was trying to get the financing situated (2 yrs ago), you need:

A Laptop or iPad for proper alignment and crystal sharp images
Geo Rig\/Mount that will position your telescope the proper way to the celestial body you want to see
Telescope itself, 8" and above to get planets like Jupiter with CCD detector for Infra-red
The eye piece part (which I hear is one of the most important parts of your rig, and also pretty expensive)
A very good digital camera (which you could also convert to capturing IR)

All in all, my rig would have cost around $6,000-$8,000...

The problem I have is too much light pollution and bad weather. Arizona is basically the best place for this and you will have way better luck.

It was a Looong while back.... Think I was just trying out different shutter speeds at the time.

Try this next time if you're going to use handheld:

Manual settings:

Center Metering (point your sensor directly on the Moon)

1/125 Exposure
F-stop of 6 to 12
ISO 200 to 800
Auto or Tungsten White Balance

Since the Moon is really bright, you won't need a really slow shutter. Use the longest telephoto zoom you have, and if you have image stabilization on your lens, use it. If your pictures keep coming out blurry, use a tripod and turn on your 2 second timer.

TUE,

Nice shots man, I love your Black and White photos! Your portrait and macro photography are awesome too. I think I've seen a few of these before? Not sure where, maybe Flickr.

its possible if your a contact of mine on there, i uploaded them to flickr a bit before i posted them here

I'm on flickr as well. Good thing they expanded their storage size :)

Flickr is a brilliant way of displaying images, i've been part of the site for a while now...

Finally ordered my new camera and should get it by tomorrow night. I went to a park today to shoot photos with a co-worker of mine today during out lunch break and I just wasn't happy with how limited I felt with my current camera.

Spideyville,

Drop by anytime to show us what you've got and we'll definitely try to give you some suggestions. Even though we have some real amazing talent on SHH, it's safe to say we're never done learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"