The Political Lounge: Continuing The Pursuit Of Lounginess!

Kelly

Who the heck is KELLY?
Staff member
Reaction score
Not everyone can be in the parade. Some people have to sit on the curb and clap. And you accuse ME of being unrealistic and having Utopian visions? It's not possible for everyone to be successful. You're always going to have poor people.

"The world needs ditch diggers, too, son."

Hell yeah, now take that mentality over to the Union thread and mesh it with your ideas of why Unions are needed and see how that works out....

Hell yeah, now take that mentality over to the Union thread and mesh it with your ideas of why Unions are needed and see how that works out....

That mentality is part of WHY I support Unions. If I didn't feel that way about the world I'd be an idiot Conservative/Libertarian/Objectivist who actually buys that malarkey about how everybody is capable of pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.

If you think you are destined to be in Poverty, you will prove yourself right.

Oh, by the way! I'm an Idiotic Libertarian/Conservative/Objectivist. Nice to meet you.

Oh, by the way! I'm an Idiotic Libertarian/Conservative/Objectivist. Nice to meet you.

I'm an idiot Liberal! Nice to meetcha. :woot:

I'll give you this: In a way, the Libertarian outlook is more idealistic than Liberalism(or at least MY Liberalism). You seem to think all people are more capable of achievement than I do.

Conservatism/Libertarianism(certain brands of it) is quite idealistic. We, on the Left, do not have a monopoly on Utopianism.

Libertarianism is nothing more than keeping to one's self. That's it. It's a fluid society.

Liberalism is manufactured Society. It's Forced Order.

Conservatism is a Stagnant Society. Does not change, or is slow to change.

Force is evil. Freedom is Good.

Anarchist? Do you even know what an Anarchist is?

I'm still not sure about that...

I like it. If you're asking for help from the state, you should sacrifice some of your liberty to ensure you're helping yourself.

At my old job...we had random drug tests....I think I was the only one who didn't worry about it....because I didn't use illegal drugs. To get Federal assistance...you are required to meet several criteria. Being drug free seems reasonable to me.

If you noticed in the article there is a paragraph that says this:

"A decade ago, Michigan implemented mandatory testing in three welfare offices. Out of 258 new and continuing applicants tested, 21 tested positive for illicit substances. All but three of these women tested positive for marijuana only. In light of such experiences, few states have chosen to pursue similar efforts," said Harold Pollack, the Helen Ross Professor of Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago.

I know it sounds like a good thing to try to get somebody off drugs, but I think more statistical data needs to be gathered to see if it is the case that a significant number of people on government assistance are drug users (the Michigan study is indicating that only 8% of the population coming out of three offices in that state are on drugs). Otherwise, you might be wasting money instead of saving it setting up drug test labs for all of your recipients that you would have to routinely use to perform tests.

In order to get that data you would have to drug test....

I'm an idiot Liberal! Nice to meetcha. :woot:

I'll give you this: In a way, the Libertarian outlook is more idealistic than Liberalism(or at least MY Liberalism). You seem to think all people are more capable of achievement than I do.

Conservatism/Libertarianism(certain brands of it) is quite idealistic. We, on the Left, do not have a monopoly on Utopianism.

Anyone that knows me here knows my view ofhumanity isn't all that great, but people can be surprising, on occasion

But every person should have the opportunity to achieve, at the educational level to start with, at least.

Anyone that knows me here knows my view ofhumanity isn't all that great, but people can be surprising, on occasion

But every person should have the opportunity to achieve, at the educational level to start with, at least.

I agree.
icon_huh.gif

But, but if someone is actively abusing the system that needs to be handled. If kids want to drop out of school, I say have them perform some sort of community service for the duration of what time they had left in school.

I don't think anyone should have their behavior mandated. If a kid wants to drop out of school and do nothing but smoke pot, that's fine - but society shouldn't be responsible for his well being.

Talk of a lounge was brought up some time ago, then Matt tried with his "John Roberts is a Terminator" thread, but it didn't go over so well... so here goes a second attempt at a bonafide Politics lounge, complete with a lounge-like title, which I'm sure sucks (but don't they all? :csad:)

So... let the lounging commence...

I don't think anyone should have their behavior mandated. If a kid wants to drop out of school and do nothing but smoke pot, that's fine - but society shouldn't be responsible for his well being.

Yup. The only reason this country is in the Fiscal and moral decay it is in is because the Welfare State reinforces poor decision making. It's easier to be lazy than it is to work hard. You are punished for working hard, so you just take the easy route.

If he wants to do the paperwork to get some government cheese, I say let him have it. As long as it's not government cable and government cell phone.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Yup. The only reason this country is in the Fiscal and moral decay it is in is because the Welfare State reinforces poor decision making. It's easier to be lazy than it is to work hard. You are punished for working hard, so you just take the easy route.

Come on, Sube! The Welfare State isn't responsible for the Wall Street meltdown.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Are you sure about that?

no...its due to the human condition of greed....and people getting home loans that shouldn't have gotten home loans in the first place

we push a culture of consume, consume, consume and then turn around and ask "wha' happened" when we've spent every last dime to buy a house that society says we need and its foreclosed on

Egypt shut down the internet....

REVOLUTION!!!!!

people needs their pron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"