The R&B / Soul / Funk Thread

Joe's new album was pushed back to June instead of the original Feb release date. :csad:

I don't think hip-hop killed funk. I think funk just slowly faded away throughout the 80s. You can still find it in a few places, nowadays. Raphael Saadiq comes to mind.

You can find it being sampled by many a hip hop song.:o

You can find every genre being sampled in hip-hop. Kanye West in particular has no limits to (or shame in) what he'll sample. Lenny Williams from Tower of Power? "Overnight Celebrity." Daft Punk? "Stronger." The theme to a James Bond movie? "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."

You can find every genre being sampled in hip-hop. Kanye West in particular has no limits to (or shame in) what he'll sample. Lenny Williams from Tower of Power? "Overnight Celebrity." Daft Punk? "Stronger." The theme to a James Bond movie? "Diamonds from Sierra Leone."

Yes, but I was pointing out the irony in hip hop "killing" funk.:o

In any case, Glenn Lewis needs to get back in the studio.

I haven't heard from Glenn Lewis since that first album of his with "Don't You Forget It." He really does need to get back in the studio.

I guess it's like Chris Rock said "R&B sucks, there's a few people that can blow, but overall the genre sucks. Just a bunch of people singing over rap beats".

I just hate when rappers try to sing, yes I'm talking about Wayne and Kanye, and when artists use autotune. Roger Troutman did something like that back in the day, and he did it better.

So, not only did it "kill" funk but it absorb it's being into itself, it's like the Brog from Star Trek. :cwink:

And what I meant by it killing funk was that a fully functional funk band have not existed on the R & B scene or made a mark on the charts since the mid 90s (Toni Toney Toni) not being part on ANOTHER genre of music.

Anyone heard any news about En Vogue's reunion?

Well, En Vogue was the best female ensemble group of the 90s.

All of the original members apparently appeared together that the BET Awards, and I remember hearing rumors about a new album after that.

I don't know. Something tells me Maxine was a freak.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that any one member of En Vogue isn't sexy?

envogue.jpg

So nice, it posted twice

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"