[YT]_SIR0LgdIaY[/YT]

[YT]q1DDgNCLD84[/YT]

[YT]Xrd3lSn5FqQ[/YT]

[YT]iQwvEygyVLo[/YT]

[YT]2OJsYwLs7yE[/YT]

[YT]v8Hw6yAaeBw[/YT]

[YT]DtUMa0FtuWY[/YT]

Classic R&B/Soul/Funk right here with these songs. :up: :up:

Kids today don't know real music anymore and these songs are living proof as to what real music is, what real music used to be, and how it's become more of a corporate product than a passionate art that made Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire, Isley Brothers, Commodores, and James Ingram so great.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that any one member of En Vogue isn't sexy?

envogue.jpg

No, no, I'll NEVER say that man (I'm not blind or gay), it's just that DAWN was de sexiest of them all! That's all.

I had a crush on Dawn back 'n the day so much that it hurt!!!!

I think Dawn was always every guys favorite, although Maxine is looking fine in that pic.

I am so disgusted w/the state of R & B music right now. Too much sampling, too much hip-hop influence & way too much in the way of nonsensical lyrics. (I'm looking at you, T-Pain & Beyonce.)

I am so disgusted w/the state of R & B music right now. Too much sampling, too much hip-hop influence & way too much in the way of nonsensical lyrics. (I'm looking at you, T-Pain & Beyonce.)
The thing that pisses me off most about Beyonce (more than her shout-singing and overuse of vocal gymnastics), it's her constant lyric pandering. Every other song she releases is about a man who did her wrong, but she's been in a steady relationship with Jay-Z for as long as she's been famous. When did she marry him? Last year? A while before she likely bought the song "Single Ladies" from an actual writer?

Ugh. Mrs. Carter's not even the worst offender. How many years did R. Kelly make my ears bleed?

The thing that pisses me off most about Beyonce (more than her shout-singing and overuse of vocal gymnastics), it's her constant lyric pandering. Every other song she releases is about a man who did her wrong, but she's been in a steady relationship with Jay-Z for as long as she's been famous. When did she marry him? Last year? A while before she likely bought the song "Single Ladies" from an actual writer?
Haha, I think about that all the time. And did you know that "Single Ladies" is actually written by a MAN? lol

Did not. But I'm not surprised.
I've raised this argument many a time. Regardless of genre, there are only two types of music-REAL music, & commercial music. Real music is designed to make an impact. Commercial music is designed to make sales. Real music is still talked about 20-30 years later. Commercial music is forgotten quickly, disavowed by everyone who ever bought it, & not remembered until somebody on some stupid VH1 show brings it up & makes fun of it.

Ugh. Mrs. Carter's not even the worst offender. How many years did R. Kelly make my ears bleed?

R. Kelly style of singing (outside of the talking/singin ala "in the closet" nonsense) was a ripp off of what Lenny Williams did back in the day.

I initially found him to be a rip-off of Aaron Hall/Charlie Wilson.
Me-I'm mostly into the R & B oldies. Give me some Quincy Jones, Gap Band, O-Jays, Lalah Hathaway, Junior, Kool & The Gang, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Chaka Khan, DeBarge-I'm a happy man. Very few of the new acts can ever hope to get my money. Although among those very few you will find Jill Scott, India Arie, Musiq Soulchild, Heather Headley, Jennifer Hudson, Chrisette Michelle, Jazmine Sulivan & Ledisi.

Is Jazmine Sulivan actually any good? I've only heard that one song that sounds like she can't decide between reggae and R&B with Missy Elliott talking in the background.

Is Jazmine Sulivan actually any good? I've only heard that one song that sounds like she can't decide between reggae and R&B with Missy Elliott talking in the background.

I don't think I've heard that one. I've heard a few that I do like, including her on-the-verge-of-getting-overplayed single, "Bust Your Windows". She's got a good voice. What remains to be seen is whether she'll fall into the commercial trap.

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that any one member of En Vogue isn't sexy?

envogue.jpg

I could.
Not with a straight face, but I could.
I loved how they went "un-glammed" in that Stevie Wonder video.

I was just listening to "People Make the World Go Round" by the Stylistics, when I remembered this thread.

Anyone else love the Stylistics?

Voyage to Atlantis by The Isley Brothers could be my favorite song by them.

Eli 'Paperboy' Reed is pretty good I caught him on the Jools holland Show last year.
It was a great performance and reminds me of some good old school Soul music complete with a big band.

Solange Knowles Beyonce's sister is on backing vocals (she performed on the show earlier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy6q9HfsJmo

You want to hear some comtempary but "old skool" pfunk, then check out the MPLSound CD from PRINCE (one of the 3 discs on the New CD).

Music sound like it's 1982 and should've been on 1999.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"