Sonic Boom: The Guitar Gods Thread

How about some Guitar Goddesses...
I give you Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe, aka "Little Sisters to the Allman Brothers Band":

Another great new group with a phenomenal player is Buck and Evans with Chris Buck:

To me, these are the artists that are the future of blues rock and electric guitar right now. Joe Bonamassa is a great player, with amazing chops, but he can't write a song worth a damn and his musicality can be...umm, lacking.

I'm going to make my entrance to this thread and lead off with a total left field curve ball of a pick.

I first heard that song about 5 years ago and it completely took my breath away. I return to this live version of it with regularity. This is one of the kinds of guitar playing that really makes me turn my head by being a complete breathe of fresh air. It's not a rock song and it's not really all that guitar driven. It's some kind of 21st century psychedelic pop. I love everything about the choices she makes as a player. Her tone is completely unconventional. For most of the song, it's small and thin. It takes up this tiny portion of the sonic spectrum; like there's nothing there under 1k Hz. And it's this deft chord melody with a little flourish at the end for the chorus. She somehow manages to play a very syncopated rhythm with very busy fingers on both hands whilst singing very emotively at the same time which requires one to somehow have both serious chops and a looseness that lets the performance shine thru. And then the short solo at the end is perfect. She leaves tons of space and when she finally plays, everything about her note choices and timing is completely alien and original.

Last edited:
For anyone who comes here...

List your favorites from these guitar greats.

So...

the-commas-01.jpg

What's your faves from Jimmy and the Boys?

@DKDetective since you're the resident Clapton scholar...

What's up with his recent public statements re: Covid?

And what's with the, uh... racial angles to some of his politics?

Am I getting the characterization wrong from soureces online?

Outside of the well known stuff about his personal life I was never aware of the controversy he's been a part of with some stuff he's said.

Can you shed some light?

@DKDetective since you're the resident Clapton scholar...

What's up with his recent public statements re: Covid?

And what's with the, uh... racial angles to some of his politics?

Am I getting the characterization wrong from soureces online?

Outside of the well known stuff about his personal life I was never aware of the controversy he's been a part of with some stuff he's said.

Can you shed some light?
Yeah, I can't explain the recent idiocy about COVID lockdown and vaccines. It's ridiculously ignorant and backwards and doesn't seem like him at all. The only explanation I can think is that he is very passionate about live music and keeping it alive that his fears for up and coming young musicians overwhelmed his better judgment in his old age. Dementia maybe? I know he has had some health issues in recent years and people with past alcohol and drug abuse issues tend to be more prone to earlier onset.

With respect to racial politics, I am only aware of his one rant in the 70s. It was during the worst part of his addictions when he was completely ****faced all the time. It was out of character given his passion for black music and championing of black musicians all his life. He has apologised for it for the last 50 years. Why? Has something else happened now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"