• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Raid 2: Berandal

The wide expansion last week went pretty poor, this movie is still only for the niche. We were lucky that it was put in so many theaters in the first place. The closest theater near me removed it completely too. I thought it would get at least two weeks but I guess it was pretty bad.

Impeccable taste by Mr. Evans. No surprise he knows how to compose action (although i would change thte title from action scenes to fighting scenes)

v=[YT]5NjtYgR2wow[/YT]

Finally saw it last night and it was f***ing phenomenal. The action sequences were just as amazing as the first film if not better, and there are good dramatic beats in between so we got some more character development with Rama and the other characters. Although the frenetic pacing and slightly tighter narrative would still lead me to rank The Raid a little higher than Berandal, this is still a very worthy sequel that does a great job of expanding the story.

Director Gareth Evans seems to be taking some cues from his contemporaries here; the new additions to the cast like Hammer Girl, Baseball Bat Man and Bejo feel like they would fit right in with a great Tarantino film. And many of the sets and cinematography remind me of (the only good parts of) Nicholas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives. Indeed, Berandal is pretty much the film that OGF probably SHOULD have been if Refn hadn't sacrificed story, character development and action (which he did so well in Drive and Bronson) for overall stupidity and pretentiousness.

Iko Uwais once again kicks all kinds of ass as Rama, but also adds another dimension to the character as we see him struggle to keep his sanity and his humanity by going deep, deep undercover. Yayan Ruhian also returns as a surprisingly sympathetic character who, while a ruthless assassin for the mob, clearly has a code (he apparently doesn't hurt women and only kills people that he has to) and cares deeply for his wife and child. The new characters are all great additions as well; many of them are only in a few scenes but they make the most of what they are given.

My only complaint about the film is that it often seems a little too convenient that so few of these thugs carry guns, thus enabling our hero or some other characters to engage in long battles that could have ended in seconds if a well-aimed shot was fired. It seems a little unrealistic to think that the criminal elite of an area this corrupt would have so few firearms lying around. Nevertheless, we don't WANT these actions sequences to end quickly and Evans knows that.

Although the way the film ends could bring closure to the story of Rama if it had to, I certainly hope the box office for this has been good enough for them to greenlight a third installment. They already have my ticket. I'd probably watch another 10 Raid movies but Evans said he envisioned this as a trilogy so that probably where it should stop. Hopefully he'll get the chance to complete his vision.

10/10

:up::up:

Man... Only God Forgives wished it was 1/10th as good as The Raid 2. I do agree on the cinematography being similar, thank god Gareth Evans didn't just use it as some pretentious reasoning. It all works out with the story its telling.

You do have to suspend disbelief when it comes to the use of guns. There's definitely some artistic visioning here , but it makes for a more entertaining film. It seems like some if the best action films are rarely seen. Hopefully this will be huge on blu ray. I'd love to see the next one get a theatrical run as well.

Man... Only God Forgives wished it was 1/10th as good as The Raid 2. I do agree on the cinematography being similar, thank god Gareth Evans didn't just use it as some pretentious reasoning. It all works out with the story its telling.

Agreed. I periodically see people list that movie on their "Top 10" list for 2013 and I'm left scratching my head. Aside from the cinematography and the score, that movie was excruciatingly bad. It felt like it was 4 hours long and yet it was only 90 minutes.

Anyway, Gareth Evans is a GOD in terms of directing action sequences. Can you imagine Evans doing a Batman movie? **** me that would be awesome.

Agreed. I periodically see people list that movie on their "Top 10" list for 2013 and I'm left scratching my head. Aside from the cinematography and the score, that movie was excruciatingly bad. It felt like it was 4 hours long and yet it was only 90 minutes.

Anyway, Gareth Evans is a GOD in terms of directing action sequences. Can you imagine Evans doing a Batman movie? **** me that would be awesome.

I think about that every day ever since I saw Merantau and The Raid.

Imagine him with an R-rated Wolverine. Maybe a Blade reboot. The Punisher? I think he'd make a killer Punisher movie that's fun and deadly at the same time, Punisher: War Zone came the closest to achieving that level for me (I still very much enjoy that movie, it's cheesy at times, but I think it's one of the most underrated comic-book/action movies out there).

I still need to see Merantau. I just looked it up and I realized that Iko's character in that film was named Yuda... cool that Gareth did a little callback to that in Berandal with Rama's code name.

Marvel should hire Evans to direct a black panther movie!

Yeah, that could be cool.

Screw it. Evans should be hired to do every action movie, from now until the end of time.

Director Gareth Evans seems to be taking some cues from his contemporaries here; the new additions to the cast like Hammer Girl, Baseball Bat Man and Bejo feel like they would fit right in with a great Tarantino film. And many of the sets and cinematography remind me of (the only good parts of) Nicholas Winding Refn's Only God Forgives. Indeed, Berandal is pretty much the film that OGF probably SHOULD have been if Refn hadn't sacrificed story, character development and action (which he did so well in Drive and Bronson) for overall stupidity and pretentiousness.

Only God Forgives stands out as a brillaint film of it's own that doesn't need to wish to be a different film at all. Go back to your cave.

Also Nicolas Winding Refn's style of action has never been the same style as Gareth Evans. Should we go and complain about how 80s action movies aren't on the same style as Raid?

Jeez, do the beret and horn-rimmed glasses come in the mail automatically or do you have to subscribe to some pretentious film snob newsletter first?

Last edited:
Only God Forgives stands out as a brillaint film of it's own that doesn't need to wish to be a different film at all. Go back to your cave.

Also Nicolas Winding Refn's style of action has never been the same style as Gareth Evans. Should we go and complain about how 80s action movies aren't on the same style as Raid?

Well someone is certainly touchy.

I'm a fan of some of Refn's films. Drive and Bronson (like I said in my post there) are two of my all-time favorite movies. However, I'm not going to pretend like I didn't find Only God Forgives to be an excruciating experience just because some people really like it. It's fine that you found it brilliant, but just because we didn't, doesn't mean that we're "cavemen" or whatever you're implying.

Jeez, does the beret and horn-rimmed glasses come in the mail automatically or do you have to subscribe to some pretentious film snob newsletter first?

LMAO

I just think it's pointless to compare a different genre movie to another, is the movie about criminals? Yes. Are they the same? Not at all.

You don't compare Raid to Heat, Godfather, American Gangster, etc. Only God Forgives has nothing to do with Raid.

No they aren't the same - I was simply pointing out that stylistically, there are similarities. The sets look very similar in certain scenes and some of the cinematography is similar.

As for comparisons... pointless or not, they happen all the time if two movies have a similar theme, particularly if the main characters are mostly criminals. People compare Heat to TDK and The Town, etc. People compare Snatch and Pulp Fiction. The Raid 2 has a lot of similarities (style, characters) to Tarantino's films (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill).

I can give an opinion about other peoples' opinions, this is the internet!!!! :b

Has there been any word on whether Evans has been given the greenlight for The Raid 3?

Yeah, that could be cool.

Screw it. Evans should be hired to do every action movie, from now until the end of time.

There's plenty of guys with Evans' levels of talent, they're just stuck making DTV's unfortunately.

Has there been any word on whether Evans has been given the greenlight for The Raid 3?

His wife is the president of the company, Merantau Films. He has 100% freedom of what he wants to make in Indonesia. Evans says he will make The Raid 3, so it will happen.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/88454910084/the-raid-2-berandal-internet-trailer-kane52630

XhtwfZZ.gif

zpFCNuS.gif

iPraZZd.gif

H3YIFa2.gif

4aCQzza.gif

S9pPFJ2.gif

wzvRqGf.gif

28RshOk.gif

lzzpif0.gif

ruYeOgl.gif

Awesome gifs, Kane. I need to see this movie again. Anyone know when the blu-ray comes out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"