The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is like the TASM2 situation last year, only much more cut & dry, IMO.

Sony faced a situation where, in the face of drastically declining Box Office profits, they had few options:
-Push ahead with TASM3, which, even if it was a good movie would likely loose money because of the hangover of TASM2's poor reception; but Sony clearly was grasping at straws trying to figure out what to do with Spidey and it likely wouldn't be a good movie.

-Sell back to Marvel outright for $$$.

-Cut a co-production deal with Marvel, & reinvigorate Spidey that way.

They may have been considering Option 1 until the hacks exposed them and forced their hand.

Now here, will Fox;
-plough ahead with another $150m F4 film which, even if it's good but won't be 'cause they have no idea how to handle the property, will loose a lot of money.

-Cut a deal with Marvel, trade F4 for something that'll actually make them money (TV or Merch deal).

-Sell F4 back outright for $$$.

Option 2 is a no brainer to me. All involved benifit.

Marvel should not give up the X-Men merch rights. Ever. I don't want Marvel to no longer be able to make comic-based merch based on the X-Men.

I'll speak for myself, when I mention "X-Men merh rights" I'm talking specifically about movie related merch, which Marvel doesn't bother with. Not rights to all X-Men merch. I think most people are talking about it like that.

Even a movie related merch deal wouldn't have to be whole-sale to be worthwhile.

I'd just like to thank the mods for allowing this thread to stay open. Not since my stunt in October 2004 where I covered the Community Forum in threads that segregated posters by post counts has one of my threads elicited such a visceral response.

My people!!!! I have missed you all LOL...seriously I loved this thread and hated that it had to go away but now you are back...let us embrace the notion that this time, we may actually win this battle...Imagine Stark, Banner, Pym, and Richards all talking about new inventions, threats, etc.

Imagine seeing Spiderman/Human Torch on the roof of some building shooting the breeze.

Imagine the Thing/Hulk "fighting" or perhaps having a beer together etc.

Imagine Sue and Reed talking about a family...her mentioning she is pregnant (Franklin...Valeria)

Imagine Latveria with a Frankenstein-esque village with a gothic castle sitting above it where the peasants are living in fear of their master, would be world and universe conquerer, Dr. Victor Von Doom with his exact comic look brought to life, with a competent actor to play him (Mads Mikkelsen????), to become one of the greatest on screen villains ever.

Imagine Doom attempting to siphon powers off of Silver Surfer only to challenge Surfer's master, the Devourer of Worlds, GALACTUS.

Imagine a trip to the Negative Zone (not Planet Zero) where insectoid-esque creatures live lead by the demented and insane Annihilus.

So many fantastic ideas to come to life...let us hope our ultimate goal is reached.

As long as Marvel doesn't give up anything of value in a trade, I'll be happy. Can't support Fox coming up with a crap film in an effort to retain rights and still get something good out of it. If they wanna play hardball, I'd say Marvel should just wait it out and see if Fox wants to lose money again.

The thought of Dr. Doom fighting the Avengers in the MCU, or the Guardians of the Galaxy encountering Galactus, or the Silver Surfer is just too awesome to think about.

Plus Kang the Conquerer and Molecule Man. The Watcher.

Fantastic Four's strength isn't with it's starring characters, but with it's supporting villains and side characters.

Getting the rights back would almost complete the MCU. Sure we'll probably never see mutants or Wolverine come over, but besides Wolverine the X-Men have mostly existed in their own little corner of the 616 universe.

Updated my signature. Let's hope it happens folks.

The thought of Dr. Doom fighting the Avengers in the MCU, or the Guardians of the Galaxy encountering Galactus, or the Silver Surfer is just too awesome to think about.

Fantastic Four's strength isn't with it's starring characters, but with it's supporting villains and side characters.

Getting the rights back would almost complete the MCU. Sure we'll probably never see mutants or Wolverine come over, but besides Wolverine the X-Men have mostly existed in their own little corner of the 616 universe.

Exactly and we are already getting suitable replacements with the Inhumans anyways

The X-men are fine where they're at, at least for now. Deadpool looking as rough as it does makes me more than comfortable with that pocket of the Marvel universe belonging to Fox, especially since it's one I've never cared for.
The FF have to come back home. It won't be the marvel universe I've known and loved ever since I was a child until I can get the Iron Man/Dr. Doom fight I've been wanting to see for years.

And yet for years other posters have dismissed our comments claiming that fans online only make up a tenth of the Box office and blah, blah, blah.

They need to put that argument to rest. That "its the internet fans fault" is still nonsense though since no one told Fox to make it worse. H3ll I told Fox not to make this crap at all and that would've been good advice, so they're not totally listening.

That argument has always been crap. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-07-24-fanboys_N.htm

I would love this but I still find it hard to believe Fox is gonna let the rights go.

As long as Marvel doesn't give up anything of value in a trade, I'll be happy. Can't support Fox coming up with a crap film in an effort to retain rights and still get something good out of it. If they wanna play hardball, I'd say Marvel should just wait it out and see if Fox wants to lose money again.

I agree. If Fox was willing to sell the license back for a reasonable (and now much lowered cost than if they did it 5 years ago before they further decimated this franchise) then I could see it happening. But giving up very valuable TV rights or even merchandizing rights? No. Why make Fox more money and allow they to get a bigger foothold in the crowded CB marketplace in exchange for a damaged property they've all but made useless to themselves.

This franchise and marvel studios , just makes way too much sense whether you love ms or not, it's a perfect fit for the f4. It's meant to be.

Two buyout options would make me laugh in this situation:

1.) Disney/Marvel offers half of whatever loss Fox takes on this movie.
2.) Disney/Marvel waives their 5-10% in exchange for the rights.

Toss in approval of the TV show - and waive your licensing fee on that deal - and FOX would be insane to walk away from the table. I can just imagine reporting to the shareholders that they could have dramatically reduced their Fant4stic losses and picked up a potentially very lucrative TV show but turned the deal down out of spite.

Nice to see this thread brought back. Keepin' hope alive. :up:

Yeah it is :)
107qhsm.jpg

You forgot to mention the Skulls! Secret Invasion could happen if Marvel gets FF rights back.

Just imagine what the villains lineup for Phase 4 could be: Silver Surfer, Galactus, Doctor Doom, Kang the Conqueror... :hmr:

Marvel already has the Skrulls, except for Super Skrull.

Marvel already has the Skrulls, except for Super Skrull.

Well to be exact its supposed to be a shared thing, both Fox and Marvel can use them but only Fox can use Super Skrull.

Is the old thread gone forever? Dang!

Anyways, I had not dared to hope that this would be possible, but honestly, I just don't see any other recourse for Fox at this point with the property. It's been made completely toxic by their antics. Using it as a bargaining chip for TV rights and a couple of other perks seem to be the only path now.

Subscribed!!!! I'm glad to be back!!!!

How long after the FF are back home until someone opens a 'Keep Hope Alive (that the X-Men return to Marvel)' thread in the X-Section? Because if you thought the haters were hostile to THIS thread... :hehe:

Toss in approval of the TV show - and waive your licensing fee on that deal - and FOX would be insane to walk away from the table. I can just imagine reporting to the shareholders that they could have dramatically reduced their Fant4stic losses and picked up a potentially very lucrative TV show but turned the deal down out of spite.

Marvel/Disney would be insane to make that deal though. It would be more than enough to allow the TV deal (with a time and number limit) and take a significant gross profit % of it.

I can see #1 happening but no way does #2 happen. Fox doesn't have the upperhand here at all. They have to go to Marvel with their tails between their legs and ask for scraps. They are the ones who wanted to play hardball. I'm sure they will find out that Disney isn't the one to do that with.

How long after the FF are back home until someone opens a 'Keep Hope Alive (that the X-Men return to Marvel)' thread in the X-Section? Because if you thought the haters were hostile to THIS thread... :hehe:

That's being unnecessarily trollish. At this point, I'm reserved to fact that X-men will always be a Fox property, and I'm fine with that. They're doing right by that property because the right parties reacted so negatively to the bad entries. That, and the public is more accepting of the quirkiness of the X-Verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"