The recent He-man cartoon...

Anyone remember "The New Adventures of He-Man" from 1989/1990? It had Gary Chalk (Optimus Primal, 2002 Man-At-Arms) as the voice of He-Man (but not the voice of Adam; Adam was voiced by Doug Parker) and Campbell Lane as Skeletor. He-Man and Skeletor were put on this other planet, Primus, in the distant future, where He-Man was asked to fight mutants, whom Skeletor allied himself with.

NewAdventuresCartoon.jpg

Forgive me if this came up before, this thread's been gone so long I've forgotten most of what we were talking about.

Can't wait to have the 2002 series on DVD.

I like the way that "the new adventures..." font looks like the font for 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure'!?

Oh the 90s :whatever:

Anyone remember "The New Adventures of He-Man" from 1989/1990? It had Gary Chalk (Optimus Primal, 2002 Man-At-Arms) as the voice of He-Man (but not the voice of Adam; Adam was voiced by Doug Parker) and Campbell Lane as Skeletor. He-Man and Skeletor were put on this other planet, Primus, in the distant future, where He-Man was asked to fight mutants, whom Skeletor allied himself with.

NewAdventuresCartoon.jpg

Yup, I remember it - it was terrible. :oldrazz:

Yup, I remember it - it was terrible. :oldrazz:
I'm inclined to agree. Gary Chalk threw out a decent voice for He-Man, and I've always supported the idea of giving He-Man pants (because pants always beats no pants) but the overall series just wasn't that good, even if the animation was more fluid than the Filmation series.

I'm inclined to agree. Gary Chalk threw out a decent voice for He-Man, and I've always supported the idea of giving He-Man pants (because pants always beats no pants) but the overall series just wasn't that good, even if the animation was more fluid than the Filmation series.

I agree with everything you've said.

I hated that they seemed to change a lot of the elements that made the original cartoon as popular as it did. The animation was better but it really didnt do anything for me.

It just didn't look or feel like He-man.

It's been a while since I saw an episode (I admit I watched the into on Youtube a few months ago though - just for a bit of nostalgia) but I seem to remember a definite change in emphasis from magic to science and that He-man seemed very under-powered.

It was too much like 'Visionaries meets G.I. Joe' for my tastes, which is why the recent cartoon was so excellent.

It went back to the source, recognising all the qualities that made it so good in the 1st place.

Seriously (and I know this'll end badly) but how much would it cost to resurrect the exact show CN dumped in 03/04 and finish it out strong?

I mean, surely they could market it better, and I PROMISE it'd be watched...

**sighs at the lost cause**

I agree with everything you've said.

I hated that they seemed to change a lot of the elements that made the original cartoon as popular as it did. The animation was better but it really didnt do anything for me.

It just didn't look or feel like He-man.

It's been a while since I saw an episode (I admit I watched the into on Youtube a few months ago though - just for a bit of nostalgia) but I seem to remember a definite change in emphasis from magic to science and that He-man seemed very under-powered.

It was too much like 'Visionaries meets G.I. Joe' for my tastes, which is why the recent cartoon was so excellent.

It went back to the source, recognising all the qualities that made it so good in the 1st place.
What you said, SB. Your italics sum it all up: It just didn't look or feel like He-Man. As Prognosticator said, the 2002 version was better because it went back to the basic idea and just expanded on it. They offered Laurence DiTillio, who worked on both the 1983 and 2002 versions to come and work on this one, but he declined because he didn't like how far removed it felt from the original source.

I hear they wanted a 2nd season, which would have taken He-Man & Skeletor back to Eternia, which would have been ruled by an evil Man-At-Arms, but ratings weren't strong enough to make this happen.

But I suppose it could have been much, much worse. They could have turned He-Man into a lanky teenager and put him in a rock band on Earth in Los Angeles with Orko as his manager, which is what rumor has it will be the case with a new Thundercats series due out later this year 2007 (the Thundercats as teens in a rock band on Earth with Snarf as the manager... I'm guessing Mumm-Ra will be an enemy rapper).

Really sad this show didn't last it was really good. But Mattel should have known better toy sales were going to suck if you just sell he-man figs and not any for the other characters. This and TMNT should be used to show people how to remake shows. If they remade thundercats I would like it to be handeled the same we as TMNT and he-man. Sadly transformers hasn't learned from them yet.
Sorry if I came back here late. But Mattel DID make a ton of characters in the new series other than He-man. And they all looked great too.

I thought it was a good revival of the series.

^ You could never find 'the others' though. I ALWAYS remember seeing nothing but duplicate versions of He-Man & Skeletor every time I checked the toy asles in Wal-Mart... they should have marketed stronger toward the Comic Shop/Novelty stores.

Seriously (and I know this'll end badly) but how much would it cost to resurrect the exact show CN dumped in 03/04 and finish it out strong?

I mean, surely they could market it better, and I PROMISE it'd be watched...

**sighs at the lost cause**
If we started a web petition, do you think it could generate enough interest to get a direct to DVD feature finishing up the 2002 series storyline(s)?

Pfft, does that stuff ever work? :rolleyes:

Seriously, does it? Because I've never heard of it working and if it has, i'd totally sign it. :o

...Well...Firefly got a movie 3 years after being cancelled...It bombed (spectacularly), but it got a movie.:woot:

^ You could never find 'the others' though. I ALWAYS remember seeing nothing but duplicate versions of He-Man & Skeletor every time I checked the toy asles in Wal-Mart... they should have marketed stronger toward the Comic Shop/Novelty stores.

I never had trouble finding the other characters at Wal-mart or Target.

It's irrelevant though they made TONS of other characters other than He-man.

Of course you will see most of them, since it's a He-man show and the lead hero and villain will always be stocked up and easy to find.

For example, GI JOE Sigma 6. Snake-Eyes and Duke are always the easiest characters to find for that series. However, Hasbro still makes a ton of other characters for the series other than Duke and Snake.

If we started a web petition, do you think it could generate enough interest to get a direct to DVD feature finishing up the 2002 series storyline(s)?

At the very LEAST they could cost effectively finish out the Season 2 & the proposed Season 3 in comic form; i.e. Buffy S8.

I never had trouble finding the other characters at Wal-mart or Target.

It's irrelevant though they made TONS of other characters other than He-man.
Its seems I didn't expalin myself better. Now I know they made other toys I won some of them. Im just saying pretty much everywhere you went they had 30 he-mans and 20 skelitors and maybe one other fig. Sense mattle shortpacked everyone else. But it seems your store was lucky and got everything. While 99% of the other stores were shortpacked.

Yeah, EVERY store I went to was He-Man/Skeletor 95% - Others 5% or less...

It was only AFTER the show was canned that I started seeing the really bad ones: Snakemen 40%, Snake He-Man/SnakeArmSkeletor 60% :(

I didn't even see those. Heck the only he-man toys I won are tri-clops and trapjaw. I only got those at a con at the mall when someone told me KB got a shipment and to go there fast before they sell out. They cost me $10 each. Dumb overpriced KB toys im glad they went out of business.

^ that's why they went out!

whoever heard of marking up prices just to do it!?? :cmad:

(that doesn't include comic shops)

Me Too! Maybe the "petition" should go toward something flexible like that?

Me Too! Maybe the "petition" should go toward something flexible like that?
I say bring on the petition!

You know what else I would buy? Crossovers of He-Man meets Thundarr the Barbarian and He-Man meets Thundercats.

For that matter, how come no one's tried to relaunch Thundarr? Is Thundarr's fan base so small that no one cares about him?

^ Yes. *I don't even know who you're talking about*
Thundarr the Barbarian was a show that aired in 1980, featuring a hero similar to He-Man, named Thundarr, a big brawny blonde guy with a magic sword, dubbed the sun sword. His companions included a sorceress named Ariel and a big wookie creature named Ookla. Instead of some alien world or distant past, they were stranded in a post apocalyptic world set after 1994, wandering around, fighting evil, that kind of thing.

I see so many other 1980s characters getting a resurgence in interest, to the point that they even get new shows based on them (Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man), or new comics (Thundercats) or both, so I'm just wondering out loud when or if Thundarr will ever get a shot at being remade or even set on DVD for that matter.

Sorry if my getting off topic broke the flow of things.

Thundarr the Barbarian was a show that aired in 1980, featuring a hero similar to He-Man, named Thundarr, a big brawny blonde guy with a magic sword, dubbed the sun sword. His companions included a sorceress named Ariel and a big wookie creature named Ookla. Instead of some alien world or distant past, they were stranded in a post apocalyptic world set after 1994, wandering around, fighting evil, that kind of thing.

I see so many other 1980s characters getting a resurgence in interest, to the point that they even get new shows based on them (Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man), or new comics (Thundercats) or both, so I'm just wondering out loud when or if Thundarr will ever get a shot at being remade or even set on DVD for that matter.

Sorry if my getting off topic broke the flow of things.
i hope thunadrr DOES get remade:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"