The Resident Evil Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Id create a thread for the entire series and keept it from getting lost in the RE 5 news thats going on in that thread. Just be warned there are spoilers for those who havent played through the games

After 7 years I finally beat Resident Evil CV. What a great game it was. Out of the main RE titles I have played RE1-CV, I thought this one had the best story. The twin mystery was pretty good and I loved seeing the Redfields reunited and thought everything came together perfectly. Some questions though

1. Im a bit confused on the twins. Were they clones of Veronica?

2. At the end Chris tells Claire that they need to take down umbrella. Is that where his story picks up in RE5?

3. I havent played the original in about 10 years. Was that place in the Antarctic base a replica of the mansion? It looked familiar and the vase statue puzzle definetly did.

4. If that was a replica of the mansion, why did the twins have it built in the base?

5. Exactly how did Wesker get the red eyes and powers? Was this revealed in RE1 or was this new in CV?

6. Did I miss or was there any mention of Leon and/or Jill?

7. Also why was this game title CV and not RE4? It followed Claire and Chris following them from RE1 and 2. Its not like it was a side story or spinoff. It was a main RE game and I never got why it wasnt given the next sequential number

8. Why did Wesker allow Chris to live when he could have easily killed him off?

Overall great game but I thought it was too easy. There was so much ammo around and herbs too. I never ran out of anything

I'm happy there is a single player component

Bah, screw Hunters. Where are my Lickers? :argh:

Captivate 2011 Trailer
[YT]M_FsHWhp-h0[/YT]​

Resident Evil: Outbreak Staff Helping Slant Six With Operation Raccoon City

By Spencer . April 12, 2011 . 11:03am

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City feels like a spiritual successor to Resident Evil: Outbreak. Fans of the online survival horror game will be happy to know that some of the Outbreak team are working on Operation Raccoon City.

The news comes from Dengeki PlayStation, which also notes that Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will be the bloodiest game in the series to date. Developed by SOCOM developers Slant Six, Operation Raccoon City puts you into the shoes of an Umbrella Security Service officer. Your character is a member of a four man squad. When you’re not playing with friends, the computer takes over the other three characters.

An interesting tidbit from Dengeki’s feature mentions Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City has significantly more recorded lines than originally planned. This suggests the scenario may be longer than the first draft too.

Source

You know, depending on how many people they actually got working on this thing, it might not end up rushed for a Winter release.

Gamespot Interview
[YT]TATlDQCszYg[/YT]​

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Preview

* By Shaun McInnis, GameSpot
* Apr 12, 2011 8:58 am PT

While co-op is nothing new to any Resident Evil fan who took part in Chris and Sheva's Great African Safari of 2009, the recently announced Operation Raccoon City represents what might just be the boldest leap the series has made into the world of online teamwork. It's a third-person shooter with a story campaign that will see teams of four players make their way through the titular Raccoon City zombie outbreak that provided the setting for Resident Evil 2 way back when. In an odd reversal from that particular game, you'll actually be assuming the role of Umbrella Corporation's special security troops--each relying on one another's class-specific abilities--in a hunt for Leon Kennedy.

Operation Raccoon City is being developed by Slant Six, a studio whose history thus far consists entirely of SOCOM games. That background is evident the moment you pick up a controller because Operation Raccoon City feels much more like a traditional third-person shooter than any recent Resident Evil game. There's a cover system, you can actually fire while running, and the whole thing moves at a much faster clip than what you've come to expect from anything bearing the Resident Evil name. The new and the old have a way of intersecting in some interesting ways, like when you peer down your gun's iron sights only to pull back and notice a lot more zombies surrounding you than before.

However, don't mistake this for some bog-standard military shooter. There have been some pretty huge changes made to the standard Resident Evil formula, but it's still a Resident Evil game. In fact, in a lot of ways, it's a game that harks back to earlier titles in the history of the series--back before this newfangled daylight business became all the rage. What we saw of the co-op campaign showed zombies doing their shambling thing in dimly lit city streets and shadowy alleyways, with no shortage of dark corners housing who-knows-what. It is clear that Capcom and Slant Six want to return to the horror roots of the series and use that as a contrast to the more fast-paced shooter action.

Said shooter action can be played in a variety of styles, depending on which character you choose. In the co-op campaign, you'll be joining up with Umbrella Corporation's black ops/tier one/really-good-at-shooting-guns security squad. There are four characters to choose from, each with what Capcom says will be distinct skills and personality. Their names, in order of ascending awesomeness, are: Vector, Spectre, Bertha, and Beltway. Vector's the stealth expert; Spectre is the surveillance guy who can use infrared goggles to sniff out special enemies; Bertha is the medic; and Beltway is the heavy who excels in demolitions work. Capcom insists that the campaign is designed in such a way that everyone will need to rely on one another, though we didn't get to see much of those class-specific skills in action during the brief campaign demo.

We did see a lot of shooting, though. It seems the streets of Raccoon City have seen a noticeable uptick in zombie infestation since the events of Resident Evil 2. There are swarms of normal zombies that aren't an especially huge threat until you begin to take damage. That's when they can smell danger and begin to charge after you in full force. Aside from them, there are some more uncommon special zombies that roam around, including some pulled directly from early Resident Evil, such as the hunter. And, naturally, when you do find yourself feeling a little worse for the wear after all this zombie fighting, you'll still find random green herbs scattered around the darkened alleys. The city may be overrun by zombies and perpetual darkness, but it's still a fine place to grow medicinal herbs.

In addition to the story-based co-op campaign in which you play as the bad guys in a hunt for Leon Kennedy, you'll be able to slaughter dozens of shambling zombies in a competitive mode. In this scenario, it's once again the four class-based Umbrella Corp. employees against four similarly talented US military spec ops soldiers. As in most zombie outbreaks, the military has been sent into quarantine the area, but it has found quite a bit of opposition from Umbrella Corporation, so now it has no choice but to team deathmatch one another in a battle of supremacy. What's interesting about the competitive mode is that there are still plenty of zombies roaming around that couldn't care less whether you're on one team or the other. It's a points-based contest in which you get one point for a zombie kill, 10 points for killing an enemy teammate, and so on, based on good deeds you do for the team and special zombie types killed.

So all of this is more or less what you can expect from Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. The elephant in the middle of the room is certainly this game's resemblance to Left 4 Dead--another zombie apocalypse series with four-player co-op. Anyone who has played the Left 4 Dead series knows what a high bar was set for any game trying to imitate it. But whereas Left 4 Dead built a lot of its success on varied makeshift weaponry and a profoundly awesome sense of humor, Capcom seems to be banking on the class system and the more serious atmosphere that distinguishes this game from the competition. We'll see how it all turns out when we get closer to the game's release later this year.

Source

Last edited:
Damn that sounds good. I'm having a hard time waiting for this to come out. It sounds like the RE game I've been waiting for!!!!

I'm a bit worried about the story. Leon seems to be way, waaaay too important in this game. He's after all only a rookie cop when he first came to Raccoon City. Storywise, there should be other targets way higher on Umbrella's hit list. Like Ada who is working for Wesker.

Yeah it's odd that somehow Umbrella know's Leon is gonna be important later. The only reason he was in the fight against Umbrella is because of Raccoon City

It could all still make sense when his importance gets upgraded later in the game. At first he's a target because of his Uniform, as the USS has the mission to kill every Raccoon City Police Officer. Then as we know from RE2, Leon found the hidden Umbrella Lab and discovered that they were responsible for the Outbreak. At that point the USS squad gets the Mission to eliminate Leon S. Kennedy at all costs.

I'm a bit worried about the story. Leon seems to be way, waaaay too important in this game. He's after all only a rookie cop when he first came to Raccoon City. Storywise, there should be other targets way higher on Umbrella's hit list. Like Ada who is working for Wesker.

Leon discovers that Umbrella was involved with the outbreak. This game is taking place directly after that. Thats why he's so high on the list of targets. He needs to be offed before he can spread the word. Either that or Slant Six is just completely ignoring the past games.

Why would Ada be a target tho? Like you said, she's working for Albert Wesker. Wesker and Umbrella had the same end goals(at least they thought)

Last edited:
Badass trailer.

So they confirmed hunters, cool. So far it's Zeds, Hunters and Mr. X. Wonder what other B.O.W.s we'll be getting, hopefully we get Lickers as well.

Badass trailer.

So they confirmed hunters, cool. So far it's Zeds, Hunters and Mr. X. Wonder what other B.O.W.s we'll be getting, hopefully we get Lickers as well.

They confirmed the Tyrant, unless they just meant X.

I hope there is a section that takes us under Raccoon City, so id like to see the giant spiders show up.

Gah i hope we get to go back into the RPD.

I still don't want to have to kill Leon, lol.

Haha i dont either.

I do hope theres multiple endings, the right one, where Leon escapes and the wrong one, where you off Leon. It'd be neat to see what would of happened if Leon didnt escape, how much would of been changed? I mean theres no reason for this to be a 'what if' only game. We never got to see what was going on elsewhere in the city during the events of the RC outbreak. We know for a fact that Umbrellas SS team was sent in to clean s**t up, so i think this game could be great to help add to the already great lore thats here.

They confirmed the Tyrant, unless they just meant X.

I hope there is a section that takes us under Raccoon City, so id like to see the giant spiders show up.

Gah i hope we get to go back into the RPD.

I think they did mean Mr. X.

Also didn't they already say we would see familiar locations like the police station? If we do get to enter it, that would mean Lickers would be roaming around.

Sewers are also a must, giant spiders and a giant croc ftw.

I think they did mean Mr. X.

Also didn't they already say we would see familiar locations like the police station? If we do get to enter it, that would mean Lickers would be roaming around.

Sewers are also a must, giant spiders and a giant croc ftw.

Yea id be shocked if the Lickers werent in the game. I mean considering the events of 2, there wouldnt be a reason for them not to be in the city.

I wonder if we'll get to go to any of the underground labs. Id like to see some more Umbrella abominations, ie the Chimera's.

Haha i dont either.

I do hope theres multiple endings, the right one, where Leon escapes and the wrong one, where you off Leon. It'd be neat to see what would of happened if Leon didnt escape, how much would of been changed? I mean theres no reason for this to be a 'what if' only game. We never got to see what was going on elsewhere in the city during the events of the RC outbreak. We know for a fact that Umbrellas SS team was sent in to clean s**t up, so i think this game could be great to help add to the already great lore thats here.

I read somewhere on Capcom-Unity, that there are at least two paths you can follow. The canon way, where Leon obviously survived. And then there is the what-if way, that is supposed to be basically fanservice.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on Capcom-Unity, that there at least two paths you can follow. The canon way, where Leon obviously survived. And then there is the what-if way, that is supposed to be basically fanservice.

See thats cool, i like that idea. I mean it would be neat to see just how much changes if Leon doesnt make it out of RC. I mean obviously there would of been no incident in Europe where Leon discoverd the Plagas etc etc, but id like the game to fit into the REverse. It seems like we are getting best of both worlds.

Atleast two endings would be nice. I don't like the idea of killing Leon but I too wonder how the events would pan out with Claire and Sherry being the only ones to leave the city.

I wonder if after we finish the game can we play as Leon since he is running around with a machine gun in the trailer.

I just like knowing that I can actually win as the bad guys. It would suck to play as the USS, full well knowing you probably won't survive or just simply not get your job done, because that's how the story played out.

I just like knowing that I can actually win as the bad guys. It would suck to play as the USS, full well knowing you probably won't survive or just simply not get your job done, because that's how the story played out.

I see your point, but for me any way, im not going in to the game to 'win'. I just want to see what happened on the other side so to speak. I think it would of been far worse if this was nothing but a what if scenario. Ruining the continuity would of been much worse than not 'winning' as a bad guy. But since we get both, its win win.

Yeah. I'm gonna pass on this game unless it gets amazing reviews. The more I hear the more I get worried about it's concept. I'd rather have a Resident Evil 6 than something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"