The Return of Vinyl: Turntables and Analog Audio

Welp, time to add vinyls among my other expensive hobbies... I got too excited for the Mondo The Batman score and realized later I just got the regular edition which comes with solid colors for the LPs instead of the actual exclusive splatter ones.

Now I just need to find a decent turntable. Figure I would go entry or mid-level.

t1fqgva.jpg

I was quite lucky with that Death vinyl. It was in the bin of Record Store Day 2023 "leftovers". Love the royal blue splatter!

4MrGzMG.jpg

I also bought a table made for vinyls... here's my current set up:

y8XlA0i.jpg
Is that the Audio-Technica LP60X? I see that model being recommended for entry-level/budget.

@DKDetective I see you are a vinyl connoisseur. :fancy: I suppose this time I'll be the one going to you for questions/help/tips... :sly:

Is that a KALLAX shelf there? I read it's essentially THE shelf for vinyl collectors. I guess it's like the Detolf cabinet for Hot Toys collectors, heh.

Quite excited to build my collection slowl- Ah **** that, I'm going back to my local record stores next weekend. I already have eyes on at least two albums I really want.

Welp, time to add vinyls among my other expensive hobbies... I got too excited for the Mondo The Batman score and realized later I just got the regular edition which comes with solid colors for the LPs instead of the actual exclusive splatter ones.

Now I just need to find a decent turntable. Figure I would go entry or mid-level.

t1fqgva.jpg

I was quite lucky with that Death vinyl. It was in the bin of Record Store Day 2023 "leftovers". Love the royal blue splatter!

4MrGzMG.jpg

Is that the Audio-Technica LP60X? I see that model being recommended for entry-level/budget.

@DKDetective I see you are a vinyl connoisseur. :fancy: I suppose this time I'll be the one going to you for questions/help/tips... :sly:

Is that a KALLAX shelf there? I read it's essentially THE shelf for vinyl collectors. I guess it's like the Detolf cabinet for Hot Toys collectors, heh.

Quite excited to build my collection slowl- Ah **** that, I'm going back to my local record stores next weekend. I already have eyes on at least two albums I really want.
That is indeed a Kallax shelf! While I am not as much a vinyl expert as you are a PC expert, I will endeavour to assist as best I can.

I would strongly recommend a good mid-level manual turntable, aka entry audiophile turntable, like a Project Debut or a U-Turn/Orbit (@antsman41 is the expert on those and probably the most knowledgeable vinyl guy on this board generally). You don't want automatic or any bells and whistles. The key features are a good heavy table with a strong/even motor, heavy platter, and a solid tone arm that can take a good cartridge. If you invest in that, it can grow with you as you upgrade the cartridge, platter, and add a good amp and analog speaker system later.

Mine is the Debut Carbon EVO. It came standard with an upgraded platter and is well known as one of the sweet spot mid-level tables. I upgraded cartridge from an Ortofon 2M Red to the Bronze and got the Project Tube amplifier. I highly recommend a tube amp for the added warmth. You get the most out of the analog experience of you have an entirely analog chain. Having a Bluetooth turntable that connects to a Google Home speaker kinda defeats the entire experience as it sounds no different than listening to digital music.

Which BTW, I highly recommend TIDAL for audiophile streaming. I don't get to spin many records these days with a 1-year old in the house, but Tidal sounds close enough for me right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gee
Thanks for the info! I'll look into all that stuff. I'm also looking at the guides over at r/vinyl.

Do any of you use the inner/outer sleeves? They seem to be the equivalent of bags and boards for comic books. :hehe:

Which BTW, I highly recommend TIDAL for audiophile streaming. I don't get to spin many records these days with a 1-year old in the house, but Tidal sounds close enough for me right now.
So like a Spotify but for hi-fi audio? I still buy CDs and I rip them to FLAC. :D

Yeah it's the LP60X with Bluetooth, it's been really good so far for an entry level player.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into all that stuff. I'm also looking at the guides over at r/vinyl.

Do any of you use the inner/outer sleeves? They seem to be the equivalent of bags and boards for comic books. :hehe:

So like a Spotify but for hi-fi audio? I still buy CDs and I rip them to FLAC. :D

I use the external sleeves if I get them when I buy records off Discogs, but I don't buy my own. A lot of my collection is classic rock and blues early pressings I inherited from my parents and they never used them, so the sleeves are how they are. I always use the inner sleeves that the records come with though.

Yup, Tidal basically is hi-fi Spotify. FLAC files like your CDs although I understand they have a proprietary processing algorithm or something that gives the end listening experience a bit of that vinyl like warmth.

I keep the paper sleeves that come with the vinyl, but I use basic plastic outer sleeves for storage.

Also, that reminds me, I have a few vinyls that I didn't even open, it's still sealed in the original plastic.

I think I'll go with an entry-level for now. I currently have my eyes on:
Eventually when I'll move to a bigger place, then I'll upgrade to something like the Pro-Ject turntables.

I think I'll go with an entry-level for now. I currently have my eyes on:
Eventually when I'll move to a bigger place, then I'll upgrade to something like the Pro-Ject turntables.
I looked at the Fluance when I did my shopping and I remember there were some concerning issues with their playback. If that is the price range you are considering, I would suggest looking at a U-Turn Audio Orbit Basic or Plus:
Orbit Plus Turntable
The acrylic platter on the Plus is a huge improvement over the ones you are looking at and I think you will be happier with it longer term. The only minus is you have to change the speed manually if you play singles, but I don't get the impression that old 45s are your type of music and can just leave it on 33rpm. I don't have any 45s and have never needed to change the speed on mine.

If you want a wood finish, there is also the special or you can order a custom table (eg. Plus with wood finish). Given you are leaning audiophile down the road, I feel like these would be more satisfying to you at the entry level price point.

I looked at the Fluance when I did my shopping and I remember there were some concerning issues with their playback. If that is the price range you are considering, I would suggest looking at a U-Turn Audio Orbit Basic or Plus:
Orbit Plus Turntable
The acrylic platter on the Plus is a huge improvement over the ones you are looking at and I think you will be happier with it longer term. The only minus is you have to change the speed manually if you play singles, but I don't get the impression that old 45s are your type of music and can just leave it on 33rpm. I don't have any 45s and have never needed to change the speed on mine.

If you want a wood finish, there is also the special or you can order a custom table (eg. Plus with wood finish). Given you are leaning audiophile down the road, I feel like these would be more satisfying to you at the entry level price point.
Yeah, I'll mostly buy/own 33 RPM vinyl. Even the used vinyl I'll get at flea markets will be 33 RPM.

The Orbit Plus looks really nice and the 3-year warranty is ****ing awesome. Plus, it's assembled in the US. Unfortunately, it seems U-Turn doesn't have an official Canadian seller so I'll have to go through their official website. It would cost me over $100 in shipping and duty fees for a total of $441 USD for the Orbit Plus and you know our loonie ****ing sucks. :csad:

I'm looking at TTs from the Canada section of this guide. I'm not looking for a wooden look in particular but I'd like to avoid a plastic frame/chassis if possible. I've read about possible vibration issues when it comes to plastic.

Yeah, I'll mostly buy/own 33 RPM vinyl. Even the used vinyl I'll get at flea markets will be 33 RPM.

The Orbit Plus looks really nice and the 3-year warranty is ****ing awesome. Plus, it's assembled in the US. Unfortunately, it seems U-Turn doesn't have an official Canadian seller so I'll have to go through their official website. It would cost me over $100 in shipping and duty fees for a total of $441 USD for the Orbit Plus and you know our loonie ****ing sucks. :csad:

I'm looking at TTs from the Canada section of this guide. I'm not looking for a wooden look in particular but I'd like to avoid a plastic frame/chassis if possible. I've read about possible vibration issues when it comes to plastic.
Dang, that sucks! You know what, I think I ran into the same issue, which is why I also eliminated the Orbit when antsman recommended it to me.

Good news is, Pro-Ject has an award winning entry level table in your price range It won What is HiFi's 2022 best buy award:
Home review
This review verdict sounds like it might be the ticket for what you are looking for:
With the likes of Lenco, Audio Technica and Crosley budget turntables knocking about, you can spend a bit less to get your first turntable.

But sometimes it’s worth remembering what Victorian art critic John Ruskin once said: “it's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little”.

For purists at the head of the beginner’s vinyl revival path who have this kind of budget and aren’t fussed about features such as record ripping and automatic operation, the Pro-Ject Primary E could be just the ticket.

And it is well-stocked in Canada:
Project Audio Primary E Project Audio Audiophile plug & play turnta
I would highly recommend looking for an independent HiFi shop near where you live. They often offer great deals and do bundles for accessories, etc. The staff tends to be audiophile nerds and actually might even give you better guidance than what you find online. My local shop is awesome and did a couple free inspections of my stylus and alignment when I thought I made noob mistakes when first using my current set-up.

Thanks! I'll think about it.

I did visit a local shop last weekend and they had some (pricey) turntables including a few Pro-ject ones. I'll post some pics later...

Some of the TTs at a local audio shop. From what I read, the Pro-Ject E1 seems pretty much at the bottom of the brand's entry-level TTs.

TRVM1w8.jpg

qUQLkab.jpg

dXv2Qnj.jpg

iy2re7a.jpg

Bonus: A vintage/used Technics deck at a local record store.

SVZ0LTM.jpg

Some of the TTs at a local audio shop. From what I read, the Pro-Ject E1 seems pretty much at the bottom of the brand's entry-level TTs.

TRVM1w8.jpg

qUQLkab.jpg

dXv2Qnj.jpg

iy2re7a.jpg

Bonus: A vintage/used Technics deck at a local record store.

SVZ0LTM.jpg
Very nice!
Yes, the E1 is the bottom of the barrel for an entry level Pro-Ject. I would avoid it. My understanding is that it goes E1, Primary, then T1. Project has introduced some new entry/mid level lines since I did my research and bought my TT. This is a pretty good guide for you:
A Complete Guide to Pro-Ject Turntables

P.S. I found the Primary E in stock at one of your local Hi Fi dealers for $399 CAD if that helps:
Pro-Ject Primary E
Project rates them as one of their "Top Partner dealers" so they should be a really safe place to buy with good repair and warranty coverage if necessary. You have got a ton of Project Top Partner dealers in Montreal, so you could always shop around for someone having a sale. If you go on Project's website they have a full list and map of local dealers.

Also, this is a bit out of your budget, but a really good sale deal:
Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB BT
Home review

Last edited:
Very nice!
Yes, the E1 is the bottom of the barrel for an entry level Pro-Ject. I would avoid it. My understanding is that it goes E1, Primary, then T1. Project has introduced some new entry/mid level lines since I did my research and bought my TT. This is a pretty good guide for you:
A Complete Guide to Pro-Ject Turntables

P.S. I found the Primary E in stock at one of your local Hi Fi dealers for $399 CAD if that helps:
Pro-Ject Primary E
Project rates them as one of their "Top Partner dealers" so they should be a really safe place to buy with good repair and warranty coverage if necessary. You have got a ton of Project Top Partner dealers in Montreal, so you could always shop around for someone having a sale. If you go on Project's website they have a full list and map of local dealers.

Also, this is a bit out of your budget, but a really good sale deal:
Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB BT
Home review
Yeah, there are a couple of hi-fi shops I'll try to find time to visit and check out their TTs.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. :up: I do feel like if I end up picking a TT other than a Pro-ject, you'll be disappointed in me. :D

Yeah, there are a couple of hi-fi shops I'll try to find time to visit and check out their TTs.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. :up: I do feel like if I end up picking a TT other than a Pro-ject, you'll be disappointed in me. :D
Nah! I just feel like you will be dissatisfied with or outgrow the other mainstream options quickly. I should note that some of your local shops have some pretty cool European brands like automatic Dual and Thorens (why does Quebec get all the cool stuff!) at really reasonable prices, so there are some other really cool options available to you that aren't to me or on that Reddit list, so you find some cool surprises at the local hi-fi shops.

Honestly, if they had been an option for me, I would have totally gone for the fully automatic Dual CS618 that Acoustic Technologies carries down your way. That thing is pretty much the sweet spot for me. Same upgraded cartridge as my Project but with the ease of a fully automatic set-up, which would have spinning records with a 1-year old in the house, much easier.

Nah! I just feel like you will be dissatisfied with or outgrow the other mainstream options quickly. I should note that some of your local shops have some pretty cool European brands like automatic Dual and Thorens (why does Quebec get all the cool stuff!) at really reasonable prices, so there are some other really cool options available to you that aren't to me or on that Reddit list, so you find some cool surprises at the local hi-fi shops.

Honestly, if they had been an option for me, I would have totally gone for the fully automatic Dual CS618 that Acoustic Technologies carries down your way. That thing is pretty much the sweet spot for me. Same upgraded cartridge as my Project but with the ease of a fully automatic set-up, which would have spinning records with a 1-year old in the house, much easier.
Hehe, no worries! I'll definitely upgrade to something fancier down the road. The money saved could be put towards a decent pair of speakers.

I have a co-worker that has a Dual from his grandparents. He also told me about the Oracle TTs (which are made here). Definitely outside my budget... :D

https://www.oracle-audio.com

anyone have any experience repairing record players or can recommend some links. i inherited a huge stereo that's at least 50 years old. the radio still works. would love to get the records playing again

The list of releases for RSD Black Friday 2023 is available:

Not much for me besides that Death album and maybe the Norah Jones.

My Black Friday haul:

I went to my local record store and fortunately there were some RSD BF leftovers at the end of the day so I could grab a copy of the Death album which is the only thing I wanted. The foiled jacket is really nice.

I really lucked out with that Metric album. Apparently it is sold out/OOP so I couldn't believe when I saw it at another store at 20'ish bucks. I thought it would be the black repress from years ago but it's actually a brand new repress because it's not on Discogs (yet). Beautiful splatter variant. 😊

I also got those two video game soundtracks at -50% from a Canadian online store specialized in video game records.

I need to post an update on all the vinyls I've collected so far. I got some good ones that I may or may not have overpaid. :o

RSD 2024 on April the 20th.

US:

Other countries:

My list for now:
  • At the Gates
  • Nat King Cole (maybe)
  • The Cranberries
  • Enslaved
  • Laufey (maybe)
  • Dolores O'Riordan (maybe)
  • Joe Pesci (maybe?!)
  • Nancy Sinatra (maybe)
  • Lost in Translation OST
  • South Park OST (maybe)
  • Spawn OST (maybe)

Tomorrow is the day! I will finalize my shopping list later this afternoon but seeing the prices at one local record store and... Ooof. :dry:

My haul from today. I went to three stores and got two RSD exclusives I wanted. Couldn't find the Lost in Translation OST, however. :csad:

That Beach Boys record was pressed/produced by a local store and gave a copy for free with purchases of $33+. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"