The Richard Donner Thread

I'll be doing a Donner retrospective on my podcast on Tue.

If some may be so kind... Gimme your takes on his films, if they even have any greater meaning to you beyond most other films you've seen that is.

We've talked about SUPERMAN to death in this community so let's start out with the most "cult" of Donner's films, the 1985 fantasy adventure...

This has ALWAYS been a fave of mine pretty much from the first moment I saw it on VHS in the 1980's. Thing is, outside of those I know who have seen it and LOVE it... I don't hear much about it and it is such a gem of a movie, the kind of mid-budget fantasy adventure films we don't see often if at all in the modern era of movies.

Anyone have any opinions they'd like to share on Ladyhawke, its story, its fabulous cast and fun and touching screenplay? Thoughts on the score (Yes... It's full of synths... IT WAS THE ****ING 80's PEOPLE! )?

I would really like to know what the community thinks of this movie in some depth.

@flickchick85
@Batmannerism
@Roose Bolton
@Black Narcissus
@DKDetective
@Iceman
@ComicChick
@Lily Adler
@C. Lee
@Spider-Fan
@Mondragon
@samsnee
@Sithborg
@DarthSkywalker

et al...

Any thoughts or opinions?

Anyone else?

Bueller?

Bueller?

For me, two words describe Ladyhawke.
Underrated Classic.

I'm going to dive into THE OMEN next.

I am not a horror guy in the least but I know this film was big and was what put Donner in the running to direct Superman. It's been a long time since I've seen it though I remember the broad strokes.

So many genre actors in the OMEN I had forgotten. We got Star Trek and Doctor Who alums.

Omen still holds up really well. Visually gorgeous, Gregory Peck in prime form, and of course Ave Satani is one of the greatest anthems of evils ever.

Every film after that though...

Omen still holds up really well. Visually gorgeous, Gregory Peck in prime form, and of course Ave Satani is one of the greatest anthems of evils ever.

Every film after that though...

Look...

When the second Doctor and the chancelor of the Klingon Empire tell you there's something off with your boy, take their word for it.

Nice to see Leo Mckern here too.

Donner had a tendency to reuse a lot of actors he had worked with before. You see it in Superman and Lethal Weapon as well.

It's interesting that THIS was what got him Supes. Omen was a big success and that was what got the Salkynds on board with him helming.

Of course... Donner did it to "save Superman" from the original script.

Talking to my buddy Ed today and he pointed out some things.

In Kingdom Come by Ross and Waid Bruce Wayne is based upon Peck's visage.

What is the name of Batman's biological son?

Damien.

Reading up on Omen and apparently Donner had to be talked into making the supernatural elements obvious enough to register to the audience.

He wanted to originally go for a more subtle approach which had Damien's origin and nature be more ambiguous.

Oh, also... As a former Roman Catholic...

Satan is NOT afraid of the Episcopal Church. :o

Just came to me now...

Both Glover and Gibson are introduced onscreen being naked in Lethal Weapon from 1987.

I watched all four Lethal Weapon movies on HBO Max since I had only ever seen bits and pieces of the first two on censored network cable up until now. Even though the first two are better than 3 & 4 (I actually think 2 is the best installment), I have to admit that as an action franchise, it's better than the Die Hard series. Even though the first Die Hard is better than any of the Lethal Weapon movies, as a series LW is more consistent, and that has everything to do with Richard Donner's direction and the awesome chemistry of Gibson and Glover. It's a shame that Donner died before a fifth one could come to fruition but on the other hand Glover really is too old for this **** now and Mel Gibson is even nuttier than Riggs was. Maybe it's good to let things rest sometimes.

Lethal Weapon is another series that I need to watch. I recently watched the Die Hard movies a few months back on HBO Max and came to really appreciate the first one after hearing about it from so many people (I’ve only seen bits and pieces and never all the way through). Also, it IS a Christmas movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"