No Way Home The Road To No Way Home: The Previous Spider-Man Movies Rewatch Thread

Spiderman 1 screentests

Andrew Garfield screentest 2010

Tom Holland's audition

Unrelated to the films, but a 60 minutes segment on the ill fated, and short lived, Spiderman Turn Off The Dark musical from 2010.

There was a ton of drama and controversy behind this production.

Since we're talking about the Raimi Spider-Man films, I think it's only fair we also discuss the hype days leading towards the first ASM film (and onward). I recall the teaser intriguing me.

I never even bothered to watch the Garfield movies. I thought firing Raimi and then rebooting the franchise was an incredibly stupid decision. The fact that my favorite critic (Berardinelli) disliked the first film just reinforced my decision.

Sam Raimi wasn't fired he walked away, as did Maguire and Dunst.

He went through multiple iterations of the script with different screen writers and still "hated it".

Sam Raimi wasn't fired he walked away, as did Maguire and Dunst.

He went through multiple iterations of the script with different screen writers and still "hated it".

Even if he wasn't (and that's debatable from what I've read) there was no reason to reboot. Just continue with a different director.

Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst walked away when Raimi did. They wouldn't have done the movie without him, so unless they recasted, there wasn't really much of a choice but to reboot.
Very true. I think what makes it tragic though is it's clear Raimi wanted to do Spider-Man 4, and it's clear he felt pressured to get the movie out at a certain time and wasn't happy with any of the scripts. I'm curious if he's ever thought about new ideas for a 4th film since.

Even if he wasn't (and that's debatable from what I've read) there was no reason to reboot. Just continue with a different director.
It really was the most amicable and undramatic of breakups: It was simply that we had a deadline and I couldn’t get the story to work on a level that I wanted it to work. I was very unhappy with Spider-Man 3, and I wanted to make Spider-Man 4 to end on a very high note, the best Spider-Man of them all. But I couldn’t get the script together in time, due to my own failings, and I said to Sony, “I don’t want to make a movie that is less than great, so I think we shouldn’t make this picture. Go ahead with your reboot, which you’ve been planning anyway.” And [Sony co-chairman] Amy Pascal said, “Thank you. Thank you for not wasting the studio’s money, and I appreciate your candor.” So we left on the best of terms, both of us trying to do the best thing for fans, the good name of Spider-Man, and Sony Studios. Sam Raimi - Vulture Magazine Interview 2013.

His own words.

Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst walked away when Raimi did. They wouldn't have done the movie without him, so unless they recasted, there wasn't really much of a choice but to reboot.

True.

I think alot of fans have the wrong impression of why Spiderman 4 didn't happen .

They seem to think that Sony pushed Raimi out ,or fired him, so that they could reboot the series.

The reality was Raimi walked , and then Tobey and Kirsten did.

Had Raimi been satisfied with the SM4, we would have gotten at least one more film with the trinity.

While SM3 got a mixed reception, the film was a hit, and Sony wasn't so upset that they wanted Raimi gone.

They even approached him to return to the series after ASM2.

So who's the most dangerous Spidey villain. I gotta go with The Lizard.

So who's the most dangerous Spidey villain.
I want to agree with you, but I can't think someone more dangerous than this guy.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_ep4wyz0ewtsscsgg48wsg40kc_640.gif

Maybe Mysterio (with access to EDITH and actual weather control) or Vulture (with the fatal weapons he merchandise) came close.

Tobey Maguire in a 1990 video game commercial

Kirsten Dunst talks about The original Jumanji ,1995

Andrew Garfield and the immortal Heath Ledger in his final role, 2008

So I first got into spiderman with the 90s animated cartoon. I have always loved both batman and spiderman by far my top 2 with spiderman being my favorite. I dont really care much for other superheroes. There are some other cbm I like just because I think they are good well made and entertaining movies or a show like smallville I loved have all the seasons and went threw it several times like 3-4 times from start to finish. I have not read a lot of comics though. Games, cartoons and tv shows, movies is my like knowledge of comic book characters. I did a while back bought a collection of amazon that has all like 630 issues or so of the original amazing spiderman comics on a disc you can use on a computer. I have been meaning to read them but only got threw like 7-8 issues or so. I am not a big reader have a hard time remember what I read always had a learning disability. I also like a month or so ago bought a few volumes of ultimate spiderman. So far I read volume 1 and like half of volume 2. Also got volume 6 the venom one yeah I know I dont have 3-5 lol. I still have spiderman 1 and 2 movie games never played the 3rd one heard it was not to good. Ultimate spiderman was a pretty good game. Shattered dimensions was like the last good spiderman game before spiderman ps4 came out. It was cool playing has the 4 spiderman has they each had something I kind of liked more then the other ones in the game be it the art style, combat, level disgn etc. So when that came out I was pretty hyped love insomniac games has I love the ratchet and clank games cant wait to play the new one on Friday when it comes out. Even Spyro games while not at the spiderman or ratchet level where good fun games. Miles morales game was pretty good to and cant wait for the full spiderman sequel from insomianc in a year or 2 or so. Still wish like a lot of people that spectacular spiderman got more then 2 seasons.

So when it comes to the movies I will likely watch all of them again including into the spider verse to around late November or so. I tend to do that with movie franchise I like when a new one comes out. I did that with Star Wars before but with skipping episodes 1 and 2 has I cant stand those 2 movies try to forget about them. When the next jurassic movie comes out next year I will watch the jurassic movies again to. From favorite to least favorite with the live action spiderman movies I go like this. Spiderman 2, Spiderman FFH, Spiderman HC, Amazing spiderman 2, spiderman 1, amazing spiderman 1, spiderman 3. I think I am in the minority in that I have not disliked a spiderman movie yet I like them all at least a little bit but of course some more then others. Just a few thoughts and like time line for each movie below trying to make it small for each.

Spiderman 1- It came out 1 month before I turned teenager has my birthday is June 3. I was blown away by it and was wondering what was going to come next. I never really had a issue with the whole goblin power ranger suit thing I thought it looked fine. I do want like the classic green and purple look like from the 90s cartoon or some of the comics if we do get goblin again though. Some of the CGI dosnt hold up to well like Peter first climbing and webbing around and such. William has Goblin is just to perfect. The last fight I love just how like violet it is dont see that to often in cbm helps it to stand out. Seeing Jamsion in all 3 movies and just how perfect that casting was.

Spiderman 2- When I saw it I couldn't believe what I just saw was completely upsets with it. The train fight is still hands down the best action scence I have seen in a comic book movie. Love how it starts up on the clock tower to before dropping down and just so many good moments during the fight and the intestine of it and the music and ever thing. Even after like a 1000 times watching the movie I am still blown away by that fight. The bank fight also was pretty good just such a step up from the first movies action and doc ock is just so good in this. Scences like there is a hero in all of us and Peter telling her what happened with uncle ben are such good emotion scence that just add a lot. Love loved Harry in this to and you just fell so bad for Peter with everything going on. Just about all the CGI holds up other then like the people doc ock is tossing out of the train. Its my all time favorite movie. It wasn't until like a few times seeing it that I realized it has less action then you might think after seeing it the first time. What I mean is after Peter like gives up being spiderman there is a good time with out a fight or anything. I guess its not a issue for 2 reasons. 1 everything else about the movie is just so good with Peter and his relationships and issues and such that its interesting movie even with out the action and 2 the action when you do get it is so well done.

Spiderman 3- I have never felt has much hype for a movie has I did for this. The closest for me would be Star Wars the last Jedi because I loved FA and considered it a perfect Star Wars movie. I did like it but thought both 8 and 9 would be better. Or dark knight rises after dark knight and it did live up to the hype has I find dark knight rises to be even better then dark knight something a lot of people dont agree with lol. Going back to spiderman 3 my most hyped movie ever because 1 spiderman 2 was basically a perfect movie so that by its self created a lot of hype then the black suit and just how amazing it looked from the trailers and I can normally get a idea of how much I will like a movie from trailers. I do like the movie over all but its also one of my most disappointing movies has I thought it would be so much better. Its my least favorite spiderman movie but I cant say its bad has it still has some good moments/things. I loved the soundtrack think its the best soundtrack of the first 3 movies. I love that Harry comes back to help Peter. The action once again is pretty good. The black suit looks cool. I like that you can see Peter and his ego getting to him and while some of the stuff like dancing is just stupid you do see him fighting with more aggression vs sand man and him hitting MJ. The bell tower with the black suit is just perfect.

Amazing spiderman 1- I cant stand the suit dont care for the soundtrack much and dont like that we got the origin store again. But I thought lizard looked great dont get the hate has he looks classic lizard style yet people hate it. The school fight was well done and just looks really good. Love the whole sort of chase/fight under the water with lizard its short but just different then anything we have really seen before or sense. Garfield I think is the perfect spiderman his Peter not to good.

Amazing spiderman 2- Never in my life have I seen a movie I considered so underrated and get so confused by the hate just dont get the hate the movie gets at all. People say it dosnt have a main plot and I dont agree the main plot is about Peter and Grewns love for each other. The suite is just perfect love the rami out but this suite is even better. I dont care for the like main theme but all of the other music no matter if its goblins music when he is changing or the music that plays with electro or what its all so so good. Love the power plant fight with electro. I dont care for how goblin looks in the movie.

Spiderman HC- So I was worried about Vulture going into it because I think he is one of the less cool spiderman villains but they did a really good job with him and the whole twist of him being the dad of the girl Peter likes was such a shock and such a good twist. Love we get the whole scence with Peter stuck under some Roble and calling out for help just helps to make you realize he is a kid and the fact its like straight out of one of the comics and stuff similar to that has happened in some of the cartoons to. Over all I thought the movie was great but felt like the action was lacking. Its not that I thought the action was bad its just in ever spiderman movie before I fell like there was at least 1 fight that like stood out. In this movie I fell like that was not the case.

Spiderman FFH- Just like Vulture they did a really good job with Mysterio. I was expecting him to like go bad if you will but even so the way it plays out with him and Peter and him then getting the glass from Peter was well done. The illusion scence I loved so much has it looked so awesome and also the last fight with him trying to just try his spider sense. Spiderman's spider sense is just a powerful power in that not only his spiderman really agile but the fact he can like fell things before they really happen on top of it makes him very powerful when you add his streagth and such on top of it even though if you go by just strength there are a lot of superheroes that are more powerful. I know there has been moments with him in the movies using his spider sense but that was kind of the first time they used it in such a like big way. The action was a big big step up from HC. My biggest issues over all with the 2 MCU movies even thought I love them over all would be 1 not have some of those nice emotion sense like you had in spiderman 1-3 and 2 I have not really cared for the supporting characters where with spiderman 1-3 at least in 1 and 2 any way I like Harry and Aunt may and Jamison. At least now we have Jamsion back.

Spiderman into the spider verse- I am not quite sure where I would put this if I included it with the other movies it would be either my second favorite or 3rd favorite. I always thought it was odd that with how popular spiderman is that it took that long for him to get a animated movie. I mean look at how many batman animated movies there are. The movie like spiderman 2 has a lot of heart and good action and that prowler music is sure something else.

I saw a few post about songs like hero and such for the rami movies. I always thought it was interesting that hero song works pretty well for spiderman 1 and ordinary for spiderman 2 but spiderman 3 didnt really have any songs that seemed like they belong to be a song about a spiderman movie.

Spiderman 1 screentests

Andrew Garfield screentest 2010

Tom Holland's audition

Unrelated to the films, but a 60 minutes segment on the ill fated, and short lived, Spiderman Turn Off The Dark musical from 2010.

There was a ton of drama and controversy behind this production.

Its crazy to think that the spiderman turn of the dark thing is over 10 years old sure dosnt fell like it was that long ago I am getting old lol.

With spiderman like 4 and the amazing spiderman reboot we got instead the thing was spiderman 3 was still extremely successful. I know that a lot of people including me where disappointed but it still made a lot of money and I think any time you do a reboot of something that is going to turn a lot of people away even if its ends up being really good. I think that is why a movie like batman begins made only 373 million compared to like dark knight and its like billion. So going in I think most people were still wanting a spiderman 4 over a reboot even thought a lot of people where disappointed in 3. I remember there where so many rumors about 4 before the reboot news came out. Like i dont remember who but there where a lot of rumors about who the villain would be in spiderman 4. In fact one of the rumors was morbious lol. It would be interesting if there was like a different diminsion where spiderman 4 was made by rami to see how it would have turned out. I know there was some like storyboard/ concept art or something but that really dosnt tell to much has some ideas may have changed complete or gotten dropped if spiderman 4 had been made and also you dont know how well the ideas would have been executed.

Speaking of the music in the movies, regardless of what you think of the film itself, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a great use of music.

And even if many people felt it didn't fit the tone, I've always loved It's On Again.

Its crazy to think that the spiderman turn of the dark thing is over 10 years old sure dosnt fell like it was that long ago I am getting old lol.

I'm in my 40s , so I know how you feel . Lol.

Speaking of music , waiting for the NWH trailer , Sony says Hold on

Hold On by Jet, Spider-man 2 Soundtrack

The Boy Falls From The Sky by Reeve Carney written by Bono and Edge, Spiderman Turn Off The Dark

Spectacular Spiderman theme

Spiderman theme 1990s cartoon theme

Past meets Present with the Spiderman classic 1960s theme

Last edited:
Those arms are definitely a threat. Being able to withstand a miniature sun in still millions upon thousands of degrees. You know their probably gonna explain in his return through the arms.

Maybe Norman hacks them to make him evil? Maybe Peter never cured Otto in his world and had to destroy the machine and Otto himself.

The Underdog Spoon, Spiderman Homecoming

Gone, Gone, Gone, The Amazing Spiderman 2

Kingdom Come , Coldplay, The Amazing Spiderman

Spiderman the 1970s tv show theme in all its 70s glory

Spiderman and his Amazing Friends intro, early 1980s

Tom and Jacob talk about the Raimi and Webb films

Trailer for the unproduced Spiderman film from Canon Studios, 1985

Among the various fan films made over the past 50 years, this is one from 1992, The Green Goblin's Last Stand

Speaking of the music in the movies, regardless of what you think of the film itself, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a great use of music.

And even if many people felt it didn't fit the tone, I've always loved It's On Again.

Gone song I thought was cool was the first time I heard of that song or band but I also dont know a lot of artist and I also dont like a lot of music post like early 2000's. Even though I was born in 89 I love a lot of 80s and 70s classic rock even though its like before my time lol.

I'm in my 40s , so I know how you feel . Lol.

I just had my 3s bd a few days ago freaked out when I trend 30 lol.

Speaking of music , waiting for the NWH trailer , Sony says Hold on

Hold On by Jet, Spider-man 2 Soundtrack

The Boy Falls From The Sky by Reeve Carney written by Bono and Edge, Spiderman Turn Off The Dark

Spectacular Spiderman theme

Spiderman theme 1990s cartoon theme

Past meets Present with the Spiderman classic 1960s theme

I didnt realize that Hold on again was by jet I really only know the song are you going to be my girl by them. The 90s cartoon with the interesting way it sounds with the way it says spiderman I always thought was really cool. Spectacular spiderman was always very catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"