The Rotten Tomatoes/Critic's Reaction Thread

Monica is coming into the MCU with opportunities Falcon or Rhodey never had. They were introduced when the MCU was not as diverse and when taking riskier characters was only just about to happen. This was the MCU pre-Black Panther (who was introduced in a Captain America movie, I may add). Will she likely be used as a supporting character in future Captain Marvel sequel(s)? Probably, but that doesn't mean she won't get any focus at all. Plus, even if Monica didn't end up with a movie, Disney+ is now an avenue where she could be explored in her own right. I get that a Disney+ show is not exactly equal to a 200 mil movie, but it still would be an opportunity to tell her story.

I didn't say I thought she wouldn't get any focus. I just think it's as unlikely for Monica to have a story apart from Carol in the MCU as it is for Rhodey or Falcon to have their own focus away from Tony and Steve. And, in their cases, there's actual canonical precedent for that kind of subordinate role. A show for Monica would be great, but it would've been better to introduce her that way from the beginning rather than tying her to Carol's story so inextricably.

I didn't say I thought she wouldn't get any focus. I just think it's as unlikely for Monica to have a story apart from Carol in the MCU as it is for Rhodey or Falcon to have their own focus away from Tony and Steve. And, in their cases, there's actual canonical precedent for that kind of subordinate role. A show for Monica would be great, but it would've been better to introduce her that way from the beginning rather than tying her to Carol's story so inextricably.

Falcon-Winter Soldier Limited Series in the Works With ‘Empire’ Writer (EXCLUSIVE)

Yes, I'm aware if the series in development. Did you read on to the part where I specifically addressed the idea of a television series? Because I already said if it happens, I'd love it but would have preferred Monica not follow the same path as Falcon because she's actually not and never has been Carol's sideckick. It would have been better to just do the show and never even suggest Monica was following in Carol's superhero footsteps.

Yes, I'm aware if the series in development. Did you read on to the part where I specifically addressed the idea of a television series? Because I already said if it happens, I'd love it but would have preferred Monica not follow the same path as Falcon because she's actually not and never has been Carol's sideckick. It would have been better to just do the show and never even suggest Monica was following in Carol's superhero footsteps.

Yeah, I read the part in which you posted I just think it's as unlikely for Monica to have a story apart from Carol in the MCU as it is for Rhodey or Falcon to have their own focus away from Tony and Steve. I wanted to inform you that the unlikely thing happened, and Sam is getting the spotlight along with Bucky on Disney Plus.

Sam Wilson may have started out as a sidekick, but he's developed into a full fledged Avenger with some great scenes in Wars both Civil and Infinite. And now he's getting his own show (along with Bucky). That's terrific treatment for a character that had been very low down on the comic book pecking order.

And I doubt Monica will follow that path and take the sidekick role. She has a close relationship with Carol. Great! Adult Monica may end up doing her own thing, developing her own abilities and leading a Nextwave movie. Black Widow, Black Panther and Spider-Man hissown self were all introduced in someone else's film, and no one considers them to be sidekicks. Introducing the character in a billion dollar box office smash enhances the chances we see more of her in the future.

Yeah, I read the part in which you posted I just think it's as unlikely for Monica to have a story apart from Carol in the MCU as it is for Rhodey or Falcon to have their own focus away from Tony and Steve. I wanted to inform you that the unlikely thing happened, and Sam is getting the spotlight along with Bucky on Disney Plus.

Sam Wilson may have started out as a sidekick, but he's developed into a full fledged Avenger with some great scenes in Wars both Civil and Infinite. And now he's getting his own show (along with Bucky). That's terrific treatment for a character that had been very low down on the comic book pecking order.

And I doubt Monica will follow that path and take the sidekick role. She has a close relationship with Carol. Great! Adult Monica may end up doing her own thing, developing her own abilities and leading a Nextwave movie. Black Widow, Black Panther and Spider-Man hissown self were all introduced in someone else's film, and no one considers them to be sidekicks. Introducing the character in a billion dollar box office smash enhances the chances we see more of her in the future.

Rhodey's and Falcon's stories are already inextricably linked to Tony and Steve. There is literally no way, at this point, to disentangle them. And, that's kind of okay...for them. Because that's part of their canon backstory in the comics. Not true for Monica, though. Monica has been set up as a part of Carol's story from the beginning. Peter was Spider-Man before he met Tony in CA:CW. Black Panther was never anyone's subordinate other than his own father who previously bore the title. Black Widow has always been her own character. Her own SHIELD hero before she ever showed up in Iron Man II. You're comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not seeing it. Carol and Monica have a personal, not a professional relationship. What super-heroing she does or doesn't do in the future may not have anything to do with Carol. Her story is her own.

Can we do the "Agree to disagree" thing?

I'm not seeing it. Carol and Monica have a personal, not a professional relationship. What super-heroing she does or doesn't do in the future may not have anything to do with Carol. Her story is her own.

Can we do the "Agree to disagree" thing?

I really don't think that's going to be the case. I hope to be proven wrong, though. Yes, let's agree to disagree.

430 reviews on RT... and counting:viw:.

#1. 470 reviews — A Star Is Born (2018)
#2. 460 reviews — Black Panther
#3. 437 reviews — Solo: A Star Wars Story
#4. 430 reviews — Captain Marvel
#5. 429 reviews — Star Wars: Last Jedi
#6. 424 reviews — Dunkirk
#7. 422 reviews — Wonder Woman / Avengers: Infinity War
#8. 421 reviews — La La Land

I really surprised that there was that much interest in Solo to have that many reviews.

CM is now at 432 reviews. With so many online-only publications/websites getting RT-certified in recent years, the number of reviews for these bigger films has been going up at a fast rate.

430 reviews on RT... and counting:viw:.

#1. 470 reviews — A Star Is Born (2018)
#2. 460 reviews — Black Panther
#3. 437 reviews — Solo: A Star Wars Story
#4. 430 reviews — Captain Marvel
#5. 429 reviews — Star Wars: Last Jedi
#6. 424 reviews — Dunkirk
#7. 422 reviews — Wonder Woman / Avengers: Infinity War
#8. 421 reviews — La La Land

Why such a wide gap between "A Star is Born", "Black Panther" and "Infinity War", "La La Land"?
It's not like the latter were limited release films nobody went to see.

Why such a wide gap between "A Star is Born", "Black Panther" and "Infinity War", "La La Land"?
It's not like the latter were limited release films nobody went to see.

What? It isn't a wide gap, lol.

I really surprised that there was that much interest in Solo to have that many reviews.

I imagine that it was much like a train wreck or a national disaster...everyone wants to see it and remember where they were when it happened. It's not that I hated it, but I was very indifferent to it, and it didn't even get my 6 year old excited...not a great sign for a Star Wars movie!

I imagine that it was much like a train wreck or a national disaster...everyone wants to see it and remember where they were when it happened. It's not that I hated it, but I was very indifferent to it, and it didn't even get my 6 year old excited...not a great sign for a Star Wars movie!

It wasn't really a trainwreck though. Maybe financially, but not from a critical standpoint. It was more, "meh." "Meh" doesn't usually generate a big response like that.

It wasn't really a trainwreck though. Maybe financially, but not from a critical standpoint. It was more, "meh." "Meh" doesn't usually generate a big response like that.

Solo was really just ok. Sort of watch once, feel entertained enough and never watch again. Sort of like, it wasn't a movie I needed, but I don't regret watching it.

Yeah, I think the "trainwreck" part was that it didn't generate any passion from the fanbase...for better OR worse. With Star Wars, that is a train wreck. We SW fans usually feel pretty passionately about things one way or another.

Well for what is worth, critics agree with us. :o
There is a strange comfort knowing you're not alone I'll admit that... LOL Critics are hit and miss w/me w/regards to how I usually sync up w/them so they aren't always a good judge for me personally, but yes-- This time the critics got it 100% correct. Dr. Strange is an awesome movie and i've seen it more than 5 times and will see it another 5 i'm sure... LOL

As I said before to each his own, but yeah, you and me set the bar in good taste!!! :gngl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"