The Secret Identity Question

DieSmiling

Can't Be Stopped
Reaction score
Watching the trailer I started to get the vibe that they might ditch the "secret identity" of Clark Kent, reporter all together. All the talk of hiding his powers because people wouldn't understand (and subsequent question of whether they were ready to accept him) brought to the forefront something I had already been thinking about -- that in a "real world" Superman, the glasses/hairdo thing simply doesn't cut it. You just can't logically explain why people don't immediately look at him and know who he is.

What do people think? Am I right? Wrong? How would you feel about going the "Iron Man route" and just ditching the secret identity all together?

Mods, if this isn't deserving of it's own thread feel free to merge it with an appropriate one, I just wanted to get people's thoughts on this.

Clark Kent and the glasses are in, we already know this as concrete fact, we've seen the footage.

I don't think it'l be a major point in this film, I'm fully expecting glasses Clark to only show up at the end of the film. Infact I wouldn't be shocked to see the scene from the Con footage where we see him step into the elevator with the glasses on to be the final scene.

Even if it is brought up, think about it logically, if you met somebody new and became friends with them, but let's say they were deaf. And then a couple weeks later a new pop sensation emerges, who looks like a really buff, not hearing impaired version of your new friend. Would you assume your friend is secretly living a double life, or would you think "hey, dude looks like you"?

Even if it is brought up, think about it logically, if you met somebody new and became friends with them, but let's say they were deaf. And then a couple weeks later a new pop sensation emerges, who looks like a really buff, not hearing impaired version of your new friend. Would you assume your friend is secretly living a double life, or would you think "hey, dude looks like you"?

Yeah I totally agree with you, no one has a reason to suspect .superman has a secret identity.

Yeah, I also think a route they might take with it would be to have Clark working as a field reporter/blogger type who is rarely in the office. That way there wouldn't be that many opportunities for Lois to make the connection.

Watching the trailer I started to get the vibe that they might ditch the "secret identity" of Clark Kent, reporter all together. All the talk of hiding his powers because people wouldn't understand (and subsequent question of whether they were ready to accept him) brought to the forefront something I had already been thinking about -- that in a "real world" Superman, the glasses/hairdo thing simply doesn't cut it. You just can't logically explain why people don't immediately look at him and know who he is.

What do people think? Am I right? Wrong? How would you feel about going the "Iron Man route" and just ditching the secret identity all together?

Mods, if this isn't deserving of it's own thread feel free to merge it with an appropriate one, I just wanted to get people's thoughts on this.

You haven't seen the ComicCon footage have you???

I don't think it'l be a major point in this film, I'm fully expecting glasses Clark to only show up at the end of the film. Infact I wouldn't be shocked to see the scene from the Con footage where we see him step into the elevator with the glasses on to be the final scene.
Yep. The Daily Planet Clark is probably going to be the equivalent of the Batcave in Begins. A huge tease.

we've seen Cavil as Clark? any available pic of that?

amyadamsonsetofmanofstek.jpg

31894824831757188011922.jpg

No mask no secret Identity.
Kanye west doesn't wear a mask, thus if you see his double working at burger king, you probably wouldn't think twice. Top that off with the powers and...

I'm starting to wonder myself what the last shot will be. Have they showed it in the trailers already?
I just hope it's not another fly by.

No mask no secret Identity.
Kanye west doesn't wear a mask, thus if you see his double working at burger king, you probably wouldn't think twice. Top that off with the powers and...

I'm starting to wonder myself what the last shot will be. Have they showed it in the trailers already?
I just hope it's not another fly by.

Yes. It's more believable than people think. Yes I do think eventually somebody would figure it out but not as quickly and easily as people think. Plus it's a movie. It's not real.

Clark, as the secret identity, is a vital part of the Superman mythos. I can't see why they would ditch it in this movie.

Clark, as the secret identity, is a vital part of the Superman mythos. I can't see why they would ditch it in this movie.

Its unknown at this point. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they use any version regardless if its the norm of the main canon or not. If it fits the story and character, and that's where they want to go, then they'll do it. There's also a third option: either they'll go retro and take an old idea and rethink it as a new one, or combine two ideas into one new one.

Maybe the scenes of him without glasses are just pre Superman appearing,when he's cycling etc,which says that he may be in Metropolis and working for the Planet in some respect before he appears as Superman in the suit.

Maybe a job interview arranged for him by Lois.

i bet the shot of Clark putting on the glasses heading to the Daily Planet is the last shot

We may not yet know how all the pieces align, but we do know we'll see Clark with glasses, at the Daily Planet, at some point in the film. Unlike Superman: The Movie, which just had him suddenly become Clark Kent the Disguise without any real motivation, this film will be a journey that (likely) ends with Clark deciding to live as two different public personae. It will be a payoff to the dilemma he will face about using his powers responsibly, for the benefit of humanity, while not sacrificing his own freedom and security to the fear, hostility, and exploitation of a few.

As far as the logic behind the believability of the secret identity, I think it's going to be just about as simple as the explanation that everyone knows Superman is an alien, and no one, no one would think that he would have anything in common with a quiet, shy nobody reporter with bad eyesight. Like Birthright explained, as long as he maintains a low profile, no one will suspect a super-powered demigod to be walking among them.

Lois, on the other hand... I'm not so sure she'll be fooled.

What about Lois always knowing Clark and Superman are one and the same, but not saying anything about it because she understood why he keeps it a secret?
Even have her covering up for 'Clark' with Perry that Clark doesn't even know about?

Of course, we wouldn't see this in the first film, maybe hints in 2 and her admission to Clark in #3 (if we get them anyway).

*this has probably been done/written/discussed before, but I like the idea.

How many people alive will be in the know at the end of the movie? Martha, Lana and Lois are my guesses.

What if Perry White knows too? It's possible imo.
They could have cool banter like Lucious Fox and Bruce did..

Superman: " Do you like this costume better than that last movie?"

Perry White: " Well, small \S/ shields are a little 90's Mr. Kent...."

I think Clark Kent is very plausible. Like many of you already stated, people may see a resemblance, but ultimately shrug it off. Ordinary people would not assume that Superman has secret identity and a day job - trying to live a normal life. To the world, Superman is patrolling the skies 24/7.

Furthermore, many people might not even see his face. People will identify Superman with his costume. In "Lois and Clark" Martha tells Clark as she observes his costume, "Well they won't notice your face,..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"