Comics Quotes in continuity on secret identity

True, this quote didn't give any reason for WHY he wants to keep his identity secret.

Just a quote showing that he WANTS to keep it, and that it was a CONCERN in the heat of battle.

Just read an issue, incidentally, that had something similar to this thread:
Spider-Man, volume 1, issue 15: The Mutant Factor: Spidey and MJ discuss the prospect of having kids (waaaay before the Clone factor...). They're worried about the possibility of the child winding up a mutant, so Spidey decides to ask Beast about it. They chat, and Beast mentions that he had no idea Spidey was married. Spidey's closing comment on the discussion:

Beast: "It's unlike you to come looking for advice. Your wife's not pregnant, is she?"
Spidey: "She's not-- and keep her existence under your hat. I'd hate to have one of my enemies find out that..."

Then there's an explosion and they team up and blah blah blah. Obviously in this current situation, he has thrown that caution to the wind, but I believe it still fits in nicely with the framework of this thread.

Interestingly enough, it would seem the writers of the Clone Saga may have consulted this issue, due to the possibilities Beast lays out for Pete and MJ's prospective bundle of joy:

"...There's an 85% chance of some kind of complication. Those complications might mean a handicapped infant, a deformed one, a mutant, a stillborn child, or even the death of your wife."

Just thought it was neat. Carry on...

yep, good one, thanks! He's always been very foceused on protecting family and loved ones for sure...not wanting his identity or theirs to get out!

Fits in for sure! :)

MyPokerShirt said:
I'm just saying even that scene was just so Puma could see the costume flying across the room. Its not an issue that gives any particular reasons for keeping a secret ID -- it's not special for that
No. Not true. Puma didn't get the jist that Peter's costume was organic until he touched the webbing, Spidey had webbed him with when he was attempting to hurl a weight set at him. He looked at the webbing and was taken a back , never believing his webbing to be "real".

Amazing SM #258:

Reed and Johnny Storm are trying to help Spidey get the black costume off of him....when they do....

J Storm: "Hey Spidey,...Why are you covering your face"
(Pete is standing there in only his tighty whities now.....)

Peter: "Give me a break Torch!"
"You may not have a secret identity but I do!"

(the "I" being bolded because it is in the comic....just noting....)

So standing there pracitcally NAKED...with 2 guys he trusts for help often, and Johnny Storm who is a buddy of sorts...the only part of his body he wants to keep covered, is his face. To protect his secret.

I might add...in issue #258 he also is so concerned about his secret identity, that he wears an actual paperbag over his face.

Even more, he is concerned about that paperbag (staying on) while fighting some crooks on the way home, as stated thru a thought bubble of Pete's while fighting.

^All that shows is that captain america was pretty two-faced about the unmasking and that spider-man was the last of the big heroes to really care about secret IDs. It's also a good quote to show the pressures he went through from his peers to unmask to them. I know, however, that there's a difference about unmasking to friends and unmasking to the whole freakin world. just sayin'...

Won '08 said:
No. Not true. Puma didn't get the jist that Peter's costume was organic until he touched the webbing, Spidey had webbed him with when he was attempting to hurl a weight set at him. He looked at the webbing and was taken a back , never believing his webbing to be "real".

My bad. Havn't read it in a while. Just think a couple of the examples are a bit loose.

Themanofbat said:
He's doing it for fun, so maybe you could just shut your all too often pessitistic pie-hole and go bother someone else at the Hype.

A good ******** is always in demand around here, so you shouldn't be lacking the work.

:cmad:
My dear lord! :eek:

MyPokerShirt said:
^All that shows is that captain america was pretty two-faced about the unmasking and that spider-man was the last of the big heroes to really care about secret IDs. It's also a good quote to show the pressures he went through from his peers to unmask to them. I know, however, that there's a difference about unmasking to friends and unmasking to the whole freakin world. just sayin'...

My bad. Havn't read it in a while. Just think a couple of the examples are a bit loose.
Actually, it's more Spidey being two-faced about it than anything else. Here he is making a big stink about not revealing his identy, then, not that long later, he goes off and reveals it on TV.

Cullen said:
Actually, it's more Spidey being two-faced about it than anything else. Here he is making a big stink about not revealing his identy, then, not that long later, he goes off and reveals it on TV.

I hate almost everything Marvel's done for a while now, but the unmasking doesn't bother me. What was he gonna do? Let Iron man tell everyone, have to abandon is family, not have the protection of the US government and instead be hunted by them and have the government use his family against him? It was probably the smartest thing to do. People on here are acting like he's not going to switch sides out of moral ambiguity here. C'mon people, stop freaking out. Complex issues cause complex emotions and Pete's just acting realistically.

Fathermithras said:
I hate almost everything Marvel's done for a while now, but the unmasking doesn't bother me. What was he gonna do? Let Iron man tell everyone, have to abandon is family, not have the protection of the US government and instead be hunted by them and have the government use his family against him? It was probably the smartest thing to do. People on here are acting like he's not going to switch sides out of moral ambiguity here. C'mon people, stop freaking out. Complex issues cause complex emotions and Pete's just acting realistically.
I won't debate you on that. Still, look at it from Cap's point of view. He won't tell me, friend and comrade, someone who he's faced death with time and again, but, at a drop of the hat, he goes off and shares with the world? That would look extremely hypocritical.:ninja:

Fathermithras said:

All he had to do was register and none of the bolded would have happened, he didn't have to unmask.

He's been in a lot hairier situations in his life, where he just all of the sudden "could of unmasked",....but that doesn't mean he should have or that it truly makes the most sense storywise.

I am glad some people are enjoying the unmasking, but i don't see how a MArvel Civil War company-event can just throw away 40 years of core character development of a main character, like this so obviously, and how some fans can try to say it is in character at the same time.

I've not seen any (not a single) thread though on quotes or instances in continuity as to why it is true to Spidey's character to be so willing to unmask and put his whole world around him in immediate danger. None.

The only excuses are mainly that I've seen are:

1.) Iron Man told him to. (and a tie in...spidey owes him for the suit)

2.) Aunt may "told him" to >wink<

3.) Spidey lives at a new location now (Avengers Tower) Apparently this makes him throw caution to the wind. We all know no one can break in there >cough<

4.) The Registration Act.

5.) or..."people make mistakes"....(which is always good for both a chuckle and a groan)

All that shows is that captain america was pretty two-faced about the unmasking and that spider-man was the last of the big heroes to really care about secret IDs. It's also a good quote to show the pressures he went through from his peers to unmask to them. I know, however, that there's a difference about unmasking to friends and unmasking to the whole freakin world. just sayin'...

ha....you make me chuckle too...are you related to spideyinatree?? :) ...hee.....you come on and pretty much try debunk quotes from the 40 years we've come with so far...on this thread, ...lol..Spidey clearly states (in that section) , like he ALWAYS has, that he can't just give up his secret identity like some people may. Same way he was worrried about Puma finding out, Reed, Punisher, MJ,...everyone...every two bit crook...list goes on and on.

C'mon people, stop freaking out. Complex issues cause complex emotions and Pete's just acting realistically.

I haven't seen anyone on this site anywhere really freaking out. Although i think long time fans and short terms fans alike have every right to be annoyed and frustrated about their favorite character so blatantly being taken (written) out of character. Like it has been said before, Civil War NEEDED someone unmasked to help push along its storyline. They had a HOLE in their puzzle and SPIDEY got JAMMED into it. Not in his title, but in a marvel sales EVENT. (then trickles over into spidey's world too) It adds shock value, which is needed for storys i suppose, and it got FREE publicity for marvel comics...(spidey unmasking made world news!!). Tv...online...everywhere!!!

Would someone else unmasking (say, daredevil, iron fist, who have you...) have made the news???

No.

Why not?

Besides them obviously not being as big a character...Spidey is KNOWN for his passion to keep his lives seperate, and his identity close to him. It is central to his character, how morally strong he is and desiring not to ever put a SINGLE person in danger, friend or family, or even a stranger.

Death of superman made news too. Because he is so powerful, and HOW COULD HE DIE!?!?!??!?!? That was the outcry heard around the world.

Just like now, it is HOW COULD SPIDEY JUST UNMASK IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD WHEN HE ALWAYS WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO PROTECT IT and OTHERS!?!?

This thread here tho, again, is for posting all the ten million-ka-jillion quotes you come across while reading spidey comics. A little banter here and there is good tho too i suppose! ;)

farmernudie said:
He's been in a lot hairier situations in his life, where he just all of the sudden "could of unmasked",....but that doesn't mean he should have or that it truly makes the most sense storywise.

I am glad some people are enjoying the unmasking, but i don't see how a MArvel Civil War company-event can just throw away 40 years of core character development of a main character, like this so obviously, and how some fans can try to say it is in character at the same time.

I've not seen any (not a single) thread though on quotes or instances in continuity as to why it is true to Spidey's character to be so willing to unmask and put his whole world around him in immediate danger. None.

The only excuses are mainly that I've seen are:

1.) Iron Man told him to. (and a tie in...spidey owes him for the suit)

2.) Aunt may "told him" to >wink<

3.) Spidey lives at a new location now (Avengers Tower) Apparently this makes him throw caution to the wind. We all know no one can break in there >cough<

4.) The Registration Act.

5.) or..."people make mistakes"....(which is always good for both a chuckle and a groan)

ha....you make me chuckle too...are you related to spideyinatree?? :) ...hee.....you come on and pretty much try debunk quotes from the 40 years we've come with so far...on this thread, ...lol..Spidey clearly states (in that section) , like he ALWAYS has, that he can't just give up his secret identity like some people may. Same way he was worrried about Puma finding out, Reed, Punisher, MJ,...everyone...every two bit crook...list goes on and on.

I haven't seen anyone on this site anywhere really freaking out. Although i think long time fans and short terms fans alike have every right to be annoyed and frustrated about their favorite character so blatantly being taken (written) out of character. Like it has been said before, Civil War NEEDED someone unmasked to help push along its storyline. They had a HOLE in their puzzle and SPIDEY got JAMMED into it. Not in his title, but in a marvel sales EVENT. (then trickles over into spidey's world too) It adds shock value, which is needed for storys i suppose, and it got FREE publicity for marvel comics...(spidey unmasking made world news!!). Tv...online...everywhere!!!

Would someone else unmasking (say, daredevil, iron fist, who have you...) have made the news???

No.

Why not?

Besides them obviously not being as big a character...Spidey is KNOWN for his passion to keep his lives seperate, and his identity close to him. It is central to his character, how morally strong he is and desiring not to ever put a SINGLE person in danger, friend or family, or even a stranger.

Death of superman made news too. Because he is so powerful, and HOW COULD HE DIE!?!?!??!?!? That was the outcry heard around the world.

Just like now, it is HOW COULD SPIDEY JUST UNMASK IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD WHEN HE ALWAYS WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO PROTECT IT and OTHERS!?!?

This thread here tho, again, is for posting all the ten million-ka-jillion quotes you come across while reading spidey comics. A little banter here and there is good tho too i suppose! ;)

Can you honestly say farmernudie that you've never said something or said that you'd never do something, then, a few years later you go back on what you've said? Just asking... ;)

I won't debate you on that. Still, look at it from Cap's point of view. He won't tell me, friend and comrade, someone who he's faced death with time and again, but, at a drop of the hat, he goes off and shares with the world? That would look extremely hypocritical.
Agreed. and when spidey switches sides it'll show how wrong what he did was. I'm not saying he was right to do it, merely that it was an incredible temptation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"