Homecoming The Spider-Man Skepticism Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Peter wanting to be an Avenger qualifies as a character arc doesn't automatically make it a good one, or one that necessitates being explored over the entirety of a non-Avengers solo Spidey film.

Of corse it's natural for Peter to want to be an Avenger (or "continue" being an Avenger since he technically already fought alongside a version of the group), but is that something worth having so much focus and weight in his first MCU solo outing? Other than for the obvious business reasons.

I also agree that whole "it's not the suit that makes the man" lesson is something that is also silly/unnecessary for Spider-man to have, as well as being especially redundant coming from Tony Stark, who himself spent an entire film learning the same lesson.

Exactly. It should have been a sub-plot not his main motivation throughout the entire movie. :doh: This movie should have been about an established Spider-Man with a good grasp of his powers (since he's had them for nine months) finding his place in this huge universe. Does he want to be like the Avengers? Or does he want to go his own path? Does he gravitate towards Stark or Rogers? What kind of hero does he want to be? That's what it initially seemed like we were getting per Feige's 2015 comments.

Instead we got Spider-kid: Homecoming: Uncle Tony pls let me be an Avengerr! And a pseudo origin story literally nobody wanted or asked for.

Eh, you guys are kinda winning me over. :csad:

Reason I can't fully agree is because I want to see what is/isn't in the movie first. This has one of the most skewed marketing campaigns of any CBM when you think about it. They clearly have marketing preference to the Tony/Avengers side of things than the other sides, so who knows if the film's entirely about that?

I'll fully agree on the suit though. And it's redundant for other reasons too (i.e. symbiote).

Lmao compare Harley (from IM3) who is like 12 to Holland Peter who is 15 & you easily see how Peter is acting like a caricature. Peter is over-the-top obsessed with Stark compared to Harley (& He doesn't constantly say "awesome", "cool" and "whoa" either) And he's actually on a first name basis with Tony as opposed to always calling him "Mr. Stark" like Holland does.

:funny:

This is starting to feel like Joss Whedon's terrible unfilmed Wonder Woman script where he completely got her character wrong and was constantly mansplained by Steve Trevor into how to act and even be a hero. For someone who was supposedly good at writing females, he didn't have a clue and now compared with Patty Jenkins' version makes us feel we dodged a major bullet from Whedon.

And yet with Homecoming it feels like we're taking the full force of a bullet.

i await time where more spoilers leak.people have kind of dismissed skeptical people by saying trailers don't show whole film.they overplay stark's role.well plenty has been released that is worrying.

also world now knows it was good thing that joss whedon's wonder woman film never got made.that used to be one of comic book films people used to say should have been made.if whedon screwed up wonder woman when he created buffy totaly easy to see marvel's handpicked people could screw up homecoming.

now i generly liked civil war,captain america trilogy is among my favrate mcu films,but wasn't that impressed with spider-man in homecoming.now holland looks like teenager more than others and spider-man during battle was fine but

1-marasi tomi totaly miscst as aunt may.sorry having hot aunt jokes is disservice.even ultimate comics which made her bit younger never went this far
2-stark gives him suit-unfortuly this setup problems for homecoming

spider-man should have been exsisting hero with classic suit already before iron man recruited him.civil war unfortuly setup a lot of problems with civil war.many issues for me and some others start with the stark as mentor nonesense.the mcu stark teaching responabilty is a wtf thing.

changes done to supporting characters may have been more tolerable if it wasn't for the nonesense of stark as menator.if peter can design web shooters himself he could have designed the outfit himself.

the news sony's other spider-man character films exsist in same universe as homecoming and spider-man could appear in those films makes me more
intrested in biting bullet and seeing homecoming in theaters.at very least keaton should be worth price of admission.besides i am probally going to
see infinity war and sequel because while i give stark a lot of shade i do like
captain america.but then again he was my favorate avenger in 616 comics.
I like black widow too.enjoyed falcon in both ws and cw.and after rewatch scarlet witch has grown on me.homecoming is setting up whatever spidey's role
is in the avengers film most likely.

my hope is they prove me wrong and peter has more problems than strk taking suit away,and by end of film he is stronger character than at begining.

Have to admit that the Iron Man push in the marketing is starting to wear a little thin.

Have to admit that the Iron Man push in the marketing is starting to wear a little thin.

as it should be.susposily stark is only in around 15 minutes of film but sony is going overboard to remember everybody the billion dollar man is in film.

Lmao compare Harley (from IM3) who is like 12 to Holland Peter who is 15 & you easily see how Peter is acting like a caricature. Peter is over-the-top obsessed with Stark compared to Harley (& He doesn't constantly say "awesome", "cool" and "whoa" either) And he's actually on a first name basis with Tony as opposed to always calling him "Mr. Stark" like Holland does.

:funny:

Good point. We are not getting The Kid, we are getting The Fanboy :o

I think it might hurt the film a tiny bit. The marketing is making it seem like Iron Man/Stark is in a lot of this film when the reality is that he's most likely in it for a few scenes (at least according to Eric Carroll). There will be some people coming out of the theater thinking "Iron man wasn't in it as much as I thought".

I wonder what would give them that impression?

spider-man-homecoming-poster

IMG_20170612_124106.jpg.pagespeed.ce.WvPhslcxf2.jpg

90o1bvtzs73z.jpg

le-nouveau-poster-nous-fait-vraiment-penser.jpg

NEhfhzxPnERXlk_1_2.jpg

spider-man-homecoming_poster_goldposter_com_23.jpg@0o_0l_800w_80q.jpg

giphy.gif

If SONY didn't market RDJ every chance they had it would be a waste. He averages over 1B in each of his MCU movies, including the solo and second movie that were well under 1B. People know it's a Spider-Man movie, there's no debating that. Just let the marketing team do what they're paid to do. Sell tickets, and that's what RDJ brings to the table.

I have a friend who is working on this in post. I didn't ask for any details, just if she liked what she had seen.

She hasn't seen anything close to the full movie but told me that Sony won't leave it alone, to a fault. Lots of tinkering and changing.

Shouldn't the movie be 99% done by now?

This was a couple of weeks ago when WW came out that we chatted. I didn't ask how far along it was. I assume she was talking in the past tense.

I did say "I don't think it will be very good". She made a comment about her perceived view of the quality of the film, but it doesn't seem fair to say it on here as she's only seen bits and pieces.

I'm still optimistic though. Just wish Iron Man wasn't in it.

If you're wondering why I didn't ask more...

Replace "friend" with girl I met off of Tinder while travelling haha

Hit the nail on the head there. Maybe it's just the crap trailers, but there's no distinct tone I'm getting from Homecoming. It just feels safe & generic. Hopefully the actual movie had more, for a lack of a better term, 'personality' than they give off

When Phase 1 happened in the MCU, it felt like each film had their own tone. Iron Man had a lot of West Coast High Tech feel to it. Thor had the golden Asgard clash with the yellow desert of New Mexico. Captain America had WWII with the blue tones. Hulk felt like a fugitive, laboratory film with the greens & grays. But when they merged, they pretty much made the characters the most colorful part of the mechanical setting they were in. This trend has followed through with pretty much every MCU film from phase 2 to 3, each bringing something different to the MCU. Ant-Man and Dr. Strange got to be defined with their own casts & mythos. Yes, there was a Falcon fight, but it didn't detract from the story.

Spider-Man's first go isn't being defined because it feels part of melting superhero pot. Instead of feeling like Spider-Man, defined by the massive NYC skylines and zipping around, rich supporting cast, etc. We have Iron Man all over the posters, villains who are connected to him & hate him, several plot points that stem from him. a Spider-Man that is afraid of heights etc It doesn't feel like Spider-Man is being established on his own. It feels like Spider-Man is an expansion pack, made from the same materials already there, but rearranged.

It's such a shame. They had the chance to build Spidey's world in the MCU, but instead it just feels like DLC spinoff for Iron Man's civil war arc with Spider-Man characters peppered through who are random "In name only" versions of those characters from the comics:
VBA9gMS.png

:dry:

Jesus Christ that picture looks like something of the Disney Channel.

Lol my bad that last post was from a rant I had 2 weeks ago. (I save drafts of posts/studies in my notes) & I accidentally posted/pasted that. I still agree though

Harry, the man who accidentally rants. :D I really hope you end up enjoying this film at least in some ways. It's obvious how much you care about this.

y'know, if I knew nothing at all about this film, and I saw that HS pic above and was told that's the HS cast of Homecoming, aside from Peter, I would only be able to identity one character. And that's the girl on the left, who I'd identify as Gwen ( she's blonde and has the hair band going ).

The rest of them, I'd be like "Who the hell are they supposed to be?"

however, even with that assumption, I'd be wrong. cuz that girl on the left who looks an awful lot like Gwen, is actually Betty Brant, who acts like Sally Avril.

so........go figure........

On the whole I agree, although I don't think it would be out of the question that Harrier is Liz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"