The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

Glad he missed BvS. I don't know about and haven't seen his most recent films but saw everything up to a few years ago and think he's one of the best actors of his generation. If he wants and is suited to a big CBM role one day (actually think he's not suited to most of the obvious ones) then I'd be well up for him coming aboard.

It looks like a wannabe Mutant Mayhem, but while that tone works for TMNT, I don't think it works here. Looks way too silly for Transformers for me
I agree. I don't know what I was expecting with Transformers One but it sure wasn't that. One plus about it is Hemsworth seems to have pulled off a younger Optimus Prime voice. By comparison, Scarlett Johansson sounds like a very bored Arcee.

I agree. I don't know what I was expecting with Transformers One but it sure wasn't that. One plus about it is Hemsworth seems to have pulled off a younger Optimus Prime voice. By comparison, Scarlett Johansson sounds like a very bored Arcee.

I thought the voices were OK, nothing special. Isn't ScarJo voicing Elita -1 not Arcee?

I've only seen 2 episodes of the Fallout show so far btw and haven't actually started Fallout 4, despite owning it since near release (same story for most of my single player collection :waa:). My experiences were with Fallout 3 which I regard highly and New Vegas (the one I really loved). TLOU (game and show) definitely have a much better human story, more so than nearly every other game, while Fallout is for me more of an exploration RPG where your character isn't that important and you can have a wide variety of experiences depending how you want to play it, so your comments are totally in line with what I'd expect. The human story of Fallout is not all that important to why it's a good game, same with Elder Scrolls, while it's crucial to TLOU.

I'm glad you enjoyed TLOU, an amazing translation of the game and finally put to bed the debate of whether great video game shows are possible, and Fallout is at least another positive on that after so many years of absolute duffers being served up and the genre being treated like it's worthless.

Just talking about both TV shows, I’m going to say that I think Fallout is better than TLOU, and I say that as someone who loves TLOU. The reason I say that is because as good as TLOU is (and it is very good) I’m a bit weary of gloomy, depressing, post-apocalyptic stories. That’s not to say that they SHOULDN’T have a dark tone (indeed, we just lived through a pandemic and that was depressing as hell; living through an actual apocalypse would be devastating). However, for me personally, having seen a lot of movies and TV shows like that (The Road, Walking Dead, TLOU, etc.), after a while, it can be hard to muster up the energy to sit through another one. I had a partner for a while who wanted to watch EVERY post-apocalyptic movie we could find on streaming. I remember this really depressing one with Peter Dinklage in a library that I couldn’t get through simply because every second of it just made me feel like crap.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is that I like Fallout (the show and the games) a lot because it’s a bit more of a goofy twist on the apocalypse. It can be serious and even heartbreaking at times but it also has this whimsical, atomic age appeal to it that keeps it from ever going too dark (and even when it does, it’s often played for a sick laugh). But I also think that makes it more original and unique. As good as TLOU is, I feel like that game and show are more of a case of taking a kind of played out concept (post apocalyptic zombie horror) and executing it really, really well. Fallout, in contrast (whether you’re talking pre- or post-Bethesda) obviously has its influences too but it just feels more original to me. I guess it’s really just a matter of preference. But I’m definitely more of a Fallout fan.

Also… play Fallout 4! It’s great, despite what some New Vegas stans might tell you.

Just talking about both TV shows, I’m going to say that I think Fallout is better than TLOU, and I say that as someone who loves TLOU. The reason I say that is because as good as TLOU is (and it is very good) I’m a bit weary of gloomy, depressing, post-apocalyptic stories. That’s not to say that they SHOULDN’T have a dark tone (indeed, we just lived through a pandemic and that was depressing as hell; living through an actual apocalypse would be devastating). However, for me personally, having seen a lot of movies and TV shows like that (The Road, Walking Dead, TLOU, etc.), after a while, it can be hard to muster up the energy to sit through another one. I had a partner for a while who wanted to watch EVERY post-apocalyptic movie we could find on streaming. I remember this really depressing one with Peter Dinklage in a library that I couldn’t get through simply because every second of it just made me feel like crap.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is that I like Fallout (the show and the games) a lot because it’s a bit more of a goofy twist on the apocalypse. It can be serious and even heartbreaking at times but it also has this whimsical, atomic age appeal to it that keeps it from ever going too dark (and even when it does, it’s often played for a sick laugh). But I also think that makes it more original and unique. As good as TLOU is, I feel like that game and show are more of a case of taking a kind of played out concept (post apocalyptic zombie horror) and executing it really, really well. Fallout, in contrast (whether you’re talking pre- or post-Bethesda) obviously has its influences too but it just feels more original to me. I guess it’s really just a matter of preference. But I’m definitely more of a Fallout fan.

Also… play Fallout 4! It’s great, despite what some New Vegas stans might tell you.
I do like the lighter tone of Fallout, but it doesn't have the emotional pull that TLOU does. I regard them as two separate things, both equally enjoyable for their differences. :)

Anyway, what I’m getting at is that I like Fallout (the show and the games) a lot because it’s a bit more of a goofy twist on the apocalypse. It can be serious and even heartbreaking at times but it also has this whimsical, atomic age appeal to it that keeps it from ever going too dark (and even when it does, it’s often played for a sick laugh). But I also think that makes it more original and unique. As good as TLOU is, I feel like that game and show are more of a case of taking a kind of played out concept (post anpocal zombie horror) and executing it really, really well. Fallout, in contrast (whether you’re talking pre- or post-Bethesda) obviously has its influences too but it just feels more original to me. I guess it’s really just a matter of preference. But I’m definitely more of a Fallout fan.

What you mention I think is very hard to get right, handling the goofy/whimsical parts well in a way that works in the middle of an otherwise very bleak situation takes skill, and usually the creatives who get handed video game properties don't have the subtlety or understanding of the source material to make that happen. We lucked out with J Nolan being a fan of Fallout.

What you mention I think is very hard to get right, handling the goofy/whimsical parts well in a way that works in the middle of an otherwise very bleak situation takes skill, and usually the creatives who get handed video game properties don't have the subtlety or understanding of the source material to make that happen. We lucked out with J Nolan being a fan of Fallout.

Yeah we really did. Nolan gets it; I think it helped that he’s a big fan but also had enough experience and street cred that he was able to do what he wanted without just cramming in dozens of games characters and references in an effort to appease everyone. Similar to Westworld, he took an established property and really expanded upon it in an original way.

Well, once upon a time...

spider-man-transformers-g1-1.jpeg

was that necessary? What does a transformers cartoon have to do with marvel?
I love the MCU and what the MCU does works for the MCU. So it's not a shot, just an observation. MCU relies a lot on comedy. It's just not a tone I think works for Transformers cause that isn't Marvel.

It looks like a wannabe Mutant Mayhem, but while that tone works for TMNT, I don't think it works here. Looks way too silly for Transformers for me
Yeah, I would accept a Transformers comedy (and they're for kids, there's always gonna be comedy) but it feels like a waste of a great premise and also just... Kinda feels like Illumination Transformers lol.

Yeah, I would accept a Transformers comedy (and they're for kids, there's always gonna be comedy) but it feels like a waste of a great premise and also just... Kinda feels like Illumination Transformers lol.
I am fine with some comedy, but this looks like slapstick

I am fine with some comedy, but this looks like slapstick
In a very particular dumb modern kids movies way, yeah. Looks closer to trash like The Super Mario Bros Movie than Mutant Mayhem in terms of being an action-comedy for kids.

Would have loved an animated Transformers movie that felt like the excellent James Roberts comics. Could've given the property the boost Mutant Mayhem gave TMNT.

That's exactly what I thought and it's what made the trailer a little bit off-putting to me. The animation is nice, but I'm not rushing to see this, especially if it's genuinely as empty as Illumination's Super Mario.

That's exactly what I thought and it's what made the trailer a little bit off-putting to me. The animation is nice, but I'm not rushing to see this, especially if it's genuinely as empty as Illumination's Super Mario.
To be fair, I'm not sure anything can be as bad as Illumination's Super Mario. I saw that movie while in severe dental pain and greatly preferred that sensation to what was happening on screen.

In a very particular dumb modern kids movies way, yeah. Looks closer to trash like The Super Mario Bros Movie than Mutant Mayhem in terms of being an action-comedy for kids.

Would have loved an animated Transformers movie that felt like the excellent James Roberts comics. Could've given the property the boost Mutant Mayhem gave TMNT.

Yeah, the mistake they're making here copying the Mutant Mayhem formula is that Transformers is more concept driven. MCU or TMNT are more about the characters and them interacting than it is about the larger plot. The plot is often secondary in a MCU film cause they want you liking the characters and that's where the effort is. Transformers has a few strong characters, but it's largely driven by the larger Autobot vs Deception narrative. Which is a war. Something that needs to be taken seriously. Making a zany comedy out-of a war premise seems at odds to the core narrative driving force of the property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"