The Wolverine The Svetlana Khodchenkova / Viper Thread

Yeah. If they were really disappointed with her acting performance, dubbing her voice isn't the solution for that.

Ok, I just saw the movie again today, I liked Viper A LOT more this time. She was actually really cool and creepy (skin shedding, ew).

It was a mistake to make her American. Viper being from Eastern Europe makes her more menacing and allows the actress to use her natural accent. That was an unnecessary change.

Exactly, I just dont get why they changed it. Yashida said he met her in America, but that didnt mean she had to be american.

Yeah. If they were really disappointed with her acting performance, dubbing her voice isn't the solution for that.

Definitely, I simply refuse to believe the dub made things any better than originally were. I hope they cut out the dub for the BD personally, though I doubt it.

I highly doubt the filmmakers would go through the trouble of a dub to make it worse.

why do you think that she was dubbed? I think this is Svetlana's voice

I think that it was her voice, her American accent just sounded kind of weird.

Repost (I think): Viper and Bane. Er, I mean Svetlana and Tom.

why do you think that she was dubbed? I think this is Svetlana's voice

I guess they thought her performance was poor or hard for audiences to understand when editing so did some voice over work.

Exactly, I just dont get why they changed it. Yashida said he met her in America, but that didnt mean she had to be american.

I simply refuse to believe the dub made things any better than originally were. I hope they cut out the dub for the BD personally, though I doubt it.

With a film with so few American characters, I can't imagine how thick Khodchenkova's accent must have been to require dubbing.

I too would love to hear her original performance on the home release.

For Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy Svetlana specifically simulated strong Russian accent at the request of the director

I could understand all of the Japanese actors and actresses just fine and they had accents. Svetlana in TTSS was understandable, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

Viper was one of the weaker aspects of the movie for me. She felt more like a plot device than a character; and as a character she felt out of place.

Its her accent or its probably hard to understand her words.
Then why cast her? It seems absolutely ridiculous to come to that conclusion after filming, heck after casting. And it honestly makes little sense. Her English seems to be very good.

When you think about it couldn't have been her accent because the other two lead actresses had accents as well and nobody cared. It makes more sense that it was purely performance based.

Do we know for sure she was dubbed?

Not that it matters to me in any case.

I agree with Spidey. Both Mariko and Yukio had strong accents, but they were great. All of the Japanese cast had accents. I don't think that she was dubbed. It seems more likely that she was told to try and do an American accent and wasn't used to doing one, so it sounded weird.

For some reason I thought she'd be doing her regular accent in the film. But it did sound like she was trying for an American accent.

Then why cast her? It seems absolutely ridiculous to come to that conclusion after filming, heck after casting. And it honestly makes little sense. Her English seems to be very good.

Well dubbing her voice is not a solution to bad acting. So it also doesn't make sense.

It definitely looks like she was dubbed, most of the time the words coming out didnt fit with her mouth movements. As others have said it wouldnt cover up a bad performance so I would still love to know why they did it.

Maybe she pulled a Daniel-Day Lewis and hissed all her lines & slithered around the floor all the time. Imagine how weird that would have been at the catering table.

"yeah I wanted some more roast potatoes but ****ing Svetlana was wrapped around the bowl hissing and trying to bite me and ****. Plus she kept writhing her bare feet on the pigs n blankets tray. I love those things but **** that."

Maybe a test screening audience hated it (the Eastern European accent), so they changed it.

When you think about it couldn't have been her accent because the other two lead actresses had accents as well and nobody cared. It makes more sense that it was purely performance based.
I have a hard time believing her performance was worse then that horrible, horrible dub.

When everyone mentioned the dubbing, I watched out for it on the second viewing and didn't see any signs of lips and words not matching at all. I was studying her mouth so much I nearly developed a squint.

Same with First Class when Beast's mouth supposedly didn't match the words. It was fine in the version of the movie I saw.

Are people watched leaked workprint versions downloaded from torrent sites or something? Because what I saw in the cinema looked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"