The Tennis Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, my gentlemen's semi picks!

-Djokovic/Gasquet - Djokovic in straight sets

-Federer/Murray - I think Murray is going to put more pressure on Federer's serve than he's been accustomed to. Federer's return game is still a weakness for him, and I'm thinking it's going to be an issue for him the rest of his career. I just like Murray a lot here, he's playing where he loves to play and there's not a lot of pressure on him. I like him to get it done in the return game. Murray in Four Sets

Henin vs Serena was great but at times hard to watch particularly at the French, the crowd made the Wimbledon lot look very neutral!
Can't disagree on the mens picks, I can't see Federer really eating into the Murray service game in a best of 5,I'd fancy him if it were a best of 3 on the World Tour but not the Slams.

Serena Williams is an all-time great, no one questions that. But I think you guys are underestimating how historically inept the women's tour is. She's not so much a man, as the others just terrible. Serena wasn't dominating like this 10 years ago, far from it. Remember the days when the great Justine Henin booted her out of three straight majors?
I agree.

I find it funny how people complain about how strong Serena is. It isn't Serena's fault, the other women competitors should hit the weights if they want to match Serena's power.

Then we'd just have a muscle bound WTA that still can't get a first serve in! If only her dominance was simply down to power.

While that's true, it's fair to say that a succession of smashed aces and muscular backhanders between two female bodybuilders is not really what a lot of people like about the women's tournament. I would hope that someone could build a technical game to blunt Serena's power, just as the (relatively) lesser powered top-seeds can dismantle the huge servers in the men's.

Edit: Snap!

Yeah what did happen?! They haven't been replaced well at all.

You don't have to be big to hit with authority. Just watch Henin, all 5'5" of her, blister forehands against Williams at the 2007 USO. It also helps that once she got Williams on the run she knew how and when to get to net to finish points. There isn't a single all-court player on the WTA today.

Yeah, shame she isn't playing today.

Fed took the 1st set against Murray and Djokovic went through in straight sets against Gasquet.

Federer is just playing so well at the moment.

Set point for Fed in the 2nd.

Fed takes it. Great match so far. My favourite that I've seen at Wimbledon so far this year. Both guys coming out with some great shots.

As I said, I think Federer's zen like calmness will carry him through. That's something Murray still needs to work on.

A shame. Hope Novak beats Federer in the final again.

Match point to Fed already!

its over, Federer reaches his 10th Wimbledon final

As I said, I think Federer's zen like calmness will carry him through. That's something Murray still needs to work on.

A shame. Hope Novak beats Federer in the final again.
Murray didn't play badly and is the 3rd best player in the world playing at home and Fed takes him out so efficiently. I'm supporting Fed in the final over Djokovic.

Djokovic to win 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Federer to retire in tears.

Please.

Really hoping Federer gets that elusive 8th Wimbledon title,just playing at such a high level right now

I agree.

I find it funny how people complain about how strong Serena is. It isn't Serena's fault, the other women competitors should hit the weights if they want to match Serena's power.

Even hitting the weights wouldn't make a lot of difference as Serena is just a genetic freak of an athlete. She has power, speed and agility, she's a Brock Lesnar type. The key is to craft a clever and skillful game to try and circumvent her, but it's very difficult due to the fact she has no glaring weaknesses IMO unless she has a mental fritz.

Really hoping Federer gets that elusive 8th Wimbledon title,just playing at such a high level right now

Me too, apart from the fact I can't stand Djokovic I think Federer is the best ever and a true class act that has graced Wimbledon with the finest Tennis I've seen, probably my second favourite player ever and as the grass court master I'd love to see him break the record.

Me too, apart from the fact I can't stand Djokovic I think Federer is the best ever and a true class act that has graced Wimbledon with the finest Tennis I've seen, probably my second favourite player ever and as the grass court master I'd love to see him break the record.
Same here. Djokovic is a great player but I'm not much of a fan of his style. While Federer has been the definitive champ for over a decade and has a unique armoury of shots. Who's your no.1?

yeah Federer in my mind is the greatest of all time, I expect a very small minority supporting Djoko this sunday.

Nah, they'll be plenty. There certainly were last year. Let's hope it's the same result. :up:

Same here. Djokovic is a great player but I'm not much of a fan of his style. While Federer has been the definitive champ for over a decade and has a unique armoury of shots. Who's your no.1?

This man! :D

yeah Federer in my mind is the greatest of all time, I expect a very small minority supporting Djoko this sunday.

Yeah, Federer has been very popular at Wimbledon for a long time and I think most in attendance will want to see a legend make history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"