The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Mayweather and Manny was Manny. He was suppose to press, to bring tension. Instead he proved he wasn't even a top 10 opponent for Floyd. It is ridiculous to complain about Floyd being like Floyd, while Manny fought like a scared fighter.

The problem with Mayweather and Manny was Manny. He was suppose to press, to bring tension. Instead he proved he wasn't even a top 10 opponent for Floyd. It is ridiculous to complain about Floyd being like Floyd, while Manny fought like a scared fighter.

It's true but seems like a similar issue with Klitschko. A boring guy to watch due to his style, but part of the reason for most of his matches being boring was his division being full of bums for a decade who were no threat. Pacquiao didn't turn up here for whatever reason and others who have in the past resulted in better shows in Floyd matches, but I'd be interested to see how good to watch a Floyd vs Floyd fight would be. :woot:

Manny was hurt and Bayless allowed Floyd to run and hug at will.

Manny was hurt and Bayless allowed Floyd to run and hug at will.
Then Manny shouldn't have fought. He did, so he has no excuses. Also, Bayless didn't cause him to miss 350 punches.

It's true but seems like a similar issue with Klitschko. A boring guy to watch due to his style, but part of the reason for most of his matches being boring was his division being full of bums for a decade who were no threat. Pacquiao didn't turn up here for whatever reason and others who have in the past resulted in better shows in Floyd matches, but I'd be interested to see how good to watch a Floyd vs Floyd fight would be. :woot:
Floyd's fights with Maidana and Cotto were great. Why? Because his opponent's fought their nuts off. Manny was a kitten.

Floyd's fights with Maidana and Cotto were great. Why? Because his opponent's fought their nuts off. Manny was a kitten.
I said exactly that. Floyd is the best of the modern era, no question, and has some great fights to his name too. But there are & were other top guys who were better to watch regardless of opponent. If someone doesn't turn up against them they get beaten up rather than picked off. They are exciting to watch in the super-fights but also when they are up against bums.

I said exactly that. Floyd is the best of the modern era, no question, and has some great fights to his name too. But there are & were other top guys who were better to watch regardless of opponent. If someone doesn't turn up against them they get beaten up rather than picked off. They are exciting to watch in the super-fights but also when they are up against bums.
A few things.

1. Floyd has some bad hands. They break from a bad look.

2. Floyd is arguably still a 140 guy, and yet he is the legit 147 and 154 champion. Guys has been fighting dude bigger then him for 8 years now. Coupled with the brittle hands, yeah, he fights safe.

3. Floyd is pushing 40 now.

4. When is the last time Floyd fought a bum? Gatti? Mitchell? He has had a decade of very good to great opponents. Floyd use to blast people out all the time under 140, and not all chumps. Look what he did to Corrales.

They both fought like *****es. Manny hurt or not should've gone for broke, he should've fought like he did with JMM, what he did in the 4th, he should've done all night or at least attempt it. And Mayweather had a one armed timid guy in front of him asking to get KO'd and still fought cautious as F-.

It takes two to make an exciting fight and NEITHER did anything to give the public their money's worth.

A few things.

2. Floyd is arguably still a 140 guy, and yet he is the legit 147 and 154 champion. Guys has been fighting dude bigger then him for 8 years now. Coupled with the brittle hands, yeah, he fights safe.

4. When is the last time Floyd fought a bum? Gatti? Mitchell? He has had a decade of very good to great opponents. Floyd use to blast people out all the time under 140, and not all chumps. Look what he did to Corrales.

I've been saying the exact same things it seems like forever. Especially the hand issue, people love to gloss over that. But that's a big reason why he's not as offensive as he used to be, his hands have been messed up for nearly every fight he's had since he's gotten his name, including this one.

They both fought like *****es. Manny hurt or not should've gone for broke, he should've fought like he did with JMM, what he did in the 4th, he should've done all night or at least attempt it. And Mayweather had a one armed timid guy in front of him asking to get KO'd and still fought cautious as F-.

It takes two to make an exciting fight and NEITHER did anything to give the public their money's worth.

Yet you barely talk about Manny's role in all of this. He's the aggressive fighter, supposedly. He just couldn't do anything. He wouldn't have done anything 5 years ago either.

And once again, Floyd was hurt too. Roach wanted to see the gauze because he knows Floyd's history with hand issues. Not just him, his whole family. He doesn't make excuses about it though.

I haven't a clue why or how this debate crept back in here.

Then Manny shouldn't have fought. He did, so he has no excuses. Also, Bayless didn't cause him to miss 350 punches.

A few things.

You will be labeled a flomo for saying that. See how it feels to try and speak the truth about Floyd because some people see it one sided? With some people you can't win!

I haven't a clue why or how this debate crept back in here.
One guy. Not saying any names but you know who he is. :o

Notice also how Iron Stark is the only one bringing race into this conversation? I mean when I watch sports, the last thing I think of is a person's race. This dude seems to be obsessed with it.

A few things.

Yes, I wasn't saying Floyd fights bums, just that he needs a quality opponent and one that performs to their abilities unlike Pacquiao, for his fights to look good. The reasons you give are fair, and most of the best guys to watch weren't so good to watch, or at least wouldn't have been if they had been fighting at the top level at this age and with those limitations. Even then I love watching Floyd himself (and even in this fight), just that the fights and even super-fights turning out good depend on his opponent even if the reasons are justified. I'm sure most of us wanted a classic here regardless of result. It is down to Manny this fight not living up to its billing. I guess in the situation of a great defensive boxer vs an aggressive one, it's more fun for the public if one chooses not to turn up that it's the defensive one so you have a chance of a big name getting knocked down or out. But of course Floyd is far too good and consistent for that. ;)

2r4u8zt.jpg

I've been watching some of Deontay Wilder's old fights recently. This guy is brutal. 6'7 but with serious speed and awesome power. How highly do people rate him?

He's fought tomato cans before his last fight against someone of not which was Stiverine for the WBC title. He's not been tested yet and I doubt he will be bar one or two of the usual suspects' in the heavyweight division.

I'd like to see Joshua fight him one day. At the very least they are extremely efficient at destroying bums!

Wilder feels like hype to me. Let him fight some relevant, then we will talk.

I don't know much about the heavyweight division of recent years. Who are the best guys?

Wilder feels like hype to me. Let him fight some relevant, then we will talk.

I don't get that. I mean, I do but I don't understand how Wilder is hype but GGG isn't. They've both fought mostly cab drivers but yet one guy is praised while the other one is still claimed by some to be a hype job. If anything, I think they are both being carefully groomed but I will give Wilder credit for fighting Stivierne. GGG claims no one will fight him but has been called out by a few guys but yet won't fight them. Ward and Hopkins I get(even though he has been calling out JCC Jr. and Froch but whatever)because they are bigger guys but what about Lara? There's no money in it? There's no money in Willie Monroe. Just had to get that off my chest. They are both the same fighter, just different division.

Golovkin against Willie Monroe Jr tonight. I expect him to be out of the ring by round 8.

Golokvin is the future of Boxing and the next big thing....

I feel bad for the casual fans who relied on Floyd/Manny fight to give them a taste of what boxing is, because then they will miss out on GGG.

Canelo is the bigger superstar at the moment with uncanny high ratings in his last fight - but for us hardcore boxing fans - GGG is just the most interesting boxer in the world at the moment - just my opinion...

GGG vs. Monroe Jr is in 40 minutes...Better start dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"