The Tim Burton/Kevin Smith Feud

So are you saying Nolan and Goyer were more concerned with being neorealistic than using Batman comics as a reference for how Bruce Wayne would be written?

Yes because at the end of the day their goal was to adapt Batman and his universe in a more realistic sense than seen before in any other medium. They had a vision for what they wanted to create and the way Bruce Wayne carried himself was reflective of that. You would never see Bruce Wayne in any comic come back a college aged guy driven by vengeance and wanting to kill the man who took his parents. By that point in his life he already had his ideals placed and a completely different concept of justice than his BB counterpart did. But you would see that happen with a real person.

That's the difference between a good adaptation though and an unimaginative one who's only credibility is that it lifted dialogue and scenes from a certain comic book pound for pound to please fanboys.

From what I've read, Bruce Wayne reminds me of what I saw in Batman Begins. Attributing his personality in the movie to anything, even the comics themselves, is pretty irrelevant. Michael Keaton as Wayne was distinctively unique to me. I applaud Burton & Co. for taking the profound route.

From what I've read, Bruce Wayne reminds me of what I saw in Batman Begins.Attributing his personality in the movie to anything, even the comics themselves, is pretty irrelevant. Michael Keaton as Wayne was distinctively unique to me. I applaud Burton & Co. for taking the profound route.

I most definitely agree. I'm a fan of both cinema and comic books if I want what's in the comic I just consult my collection. At the end of the day I just want these movies to entertain me with a new story. If they manage to do that then they did their job. I could careless how "accurate" it may be it's 2 different mediums and these are adaptations liberties being taken with the source material are expected. I judge comic book movies within the context of how they work as films. So yes like you I also applaud the approach that Keaton and Burton took in regards to the character. Same with Bale and Nolan. It may not be identical to what I read in the comics but it's interesting to watch and to me that's all that matters.

funny thing is. Kevin Smith's Supes script..is..actually-yknow..

is good.

Tim Burton's vision of Superman:
tim-burton-superman.jpg

funny thing is. Kevin Smith's Supes script..is..actually-yknow..

is good.

His dialogues? Oh, definately. The characters are well-written. The parts that Jon Peters had a hand in... well, they sucked.

He found what's been causing his pain and decides to go kill it. Not an internal conflict. He only realizes its whats been causing his pain until late into the movie. And by a third i meant 2 thirds, my bad. Plus, is the joker the only real source of batman's pain? is he happy now?

Okay, I admit I forgot a point--there is an internal conflict when you put it with Batman Returns. While Burton said it was a "different chapter" rather than a direct sequel, it does show what happens to him psychologically afterwards--he thought revenge would make the pain go away but it only made it worst, so he wonders if getting rid of Batman, filling my aforementioned hole with a regular life (with Selena Kyle) would help.

Well, its obligotory and doesn't move the plot, in addition to nobody taking Joker seriously. I get that he's a clown and whatnot but he's a threat. Dont have him dance around like an idiot.

I would say that for every silly move he did, he did one that was just as menancing. Nicoloson, while not the f**ked-up psycho killer that he is in the modern comics, was certainly not a Romero clone.

What did Bassinger do that was good? She didnt react well to anything, even when she realizes that bruce is batman...

Like I said, she did the best she could. Keaton does run circles around her acting-wise and it is hard to feel this epic romance thing when the other character is a Lois Lane clone, but I think she did her best--if I remember correctly, she was pretty new at the time. She's done excellent work afterwards, like L.A. Confidential.

But He gets the batplane down with one shot? And if that didnt work, why didn't he survive the fall at the very end?

Easy answer--there was a body. No body = alive. Luck can only get you so far.

As for the Batplane--long barell, big bullet, and planes can't be heavily armored and still fly.

Yeah..that worked well. And right in front of her no less.

Joker didn't take Vikki, right? Plus I would imagine, since he liked her so much, he cared more about her safety then keeping his secret identity.

Yeah but Burton also supposedly drew alot from the Frank Miller books, which were some of the first to show Gordon as a heroic character. There was a lot of potential. Could they at least have gotten somebody who could act or at the very least looked like Gordon? I mean its like they ran out of time to cast the movie so Tim Burton cast his fat uncle and slapped some expensive clothes on him.

And he also drew a lot from the old Det. comics of the 40s and bits and pieces from the 70s, where Gordon was essentially the glorified "light up the Batsignal" guy. I would have prefered Miller's take as well, but I can't begrudge them with something that is from the comics.

Well then why is he so popular? I mean, in one of the first (if not THE first) frame of a batman comic, Bruce is described as a socialite. It's a way better foil to being batman if you ask me. I mean, of course a socially awkward guy who looks like a dorky serial killer and cant talk to people at a party would be the one to beat criminals up at night. He shouldn't wear it on his cuff. That's the thing, bruce wayne is more or less the mask. Being batman liberates Bruce. Thats pretty much who he is, he has to pretend to be a sleazy socialite who doesnt beleive in batman to cover up.

Why? Because he's rich. He can get away with being eccentric because he's rich.

Burton's a one trick pony..
And that one trick is: Hot Topic Propaganda, like Subliminal Messaging that says: "Buy Spikey belts! Girl Pants are cool! Give in, Wear Eye-liner like me! Act like you know art!"

You attacking Burton ebcause of what some teenie fans do?

I think I'll stick with Smith's sour grapes.

Oh, I always forget high BO numbers = good movie. Lucky me i forgot everything's that's not accurate to reality.

Most of the time, the films with big BO numbers are the ones I avoid the most, there are exceptions but its fact in this country, Crap movies sell!!

I hate that Superman design.. that costume :bleh:

I like Brainiac's ship design though.

Ya the superman suit is way off, but I still think its cool, maybe would work for Bizzaro or something.

Tim's Metropolis makes Schumacher's Gotham look like New Jersey..

Are we sure it's Metropolis and not Krypton or something, though?

it has to be Metropolis as its in the background of Superman saving Lois as well..

Someone needs to make a manip of that suit!

His dialogues? Oh, definately. The characters are well-written. The parts that Jon Peters had a hand in... well, they sucked.
is there a place where i could read Smith's script?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"