Arrow The Tommy Merlyn Thread

I've stayed away all season from here but I'm surprised people really like him. I always saw him as Harry Osborn and he was just as bipolar and emotional as any of the females on this show, and it being on WB, that says a lot. I could never stand how he was always down being the spoiled brat he was. He gets his trust fund cut, then Oliver hires him to run his club, then ends up getting hired for his dad and given a big position and still cries about Ollie not telling him he's the Arrow? He did nothing for me to ever relate to his character.

With that said, I have no doubts he'll come back sooner or later though and probably be a worthy opponent for Oliver.

I've stayed away all season from here but I'm surprised people really like him. I always saw him as Harry Osborn and he was just as bipolar and emotional as any of the females on this show, and it being on WB, that says a lot. I could never stand how he was always down being the spoiled brat he was. He gets his trust fund cut, then Oliver hires him to run his club, then ends up getting hired for his dad and given a big position and still cries about Ollie not telling him he's the Arrow? He did nothing for me to ever relate to his character.

With that said, I have no doubts he'll come back sooner or later though and probably be a worthy opponent for Oliver.

He's dead. And the creators have confirmed he's 100% dead. No coming back later as the villain. So doubt your no doubts.

I rooted for Tommy from the beginning. I kept hoping that he wouldn't turn into a bad guy. I wanted him to consistently side on Ollie. Even though the past few episodes changed him and looked like he was going to go the bad route, I'm really glad he stayed good until the very end. Having him die was really surprising but it was so much better than him becoming the next Dark Archer. I guess I'm agreeing with pretty much everyone here.

I'm not sure if it was just me, let alone if it was intentional on the creators end, but Tommy came out looking like the better guy overall near the end of the season.

Sure, he had his anger/dark moments, but in a lot of ways, he was justified in feeling the way he was and he took the first willing step away from Laurel, thinking that she'd be happier with Oliver and when Oliver tells him so many times that Tommy should go and make amends with her, Oliver betrays him and sleeps with her instead, without feeling any guilt towards his friend.

Honestly, they're going to have to do one hell of a job in making Oliver out to be a better person than Tommy since Tommy as far as I saw, was the better guy in a lot of ways and seeing him die for someone as selfish and useless as Laurel (based on how she's been portrayed as of late), makes the impact of his death resonate even more.

You know, at the beginning of this series, I'd never thought I'd come to like this character as much as I do. But, after this season finale, I've not only come to appreciate his character, he might even be my favorite character on this entire show, not counting Felicity and Diggle.

If you really think about it, Tommy has had the most interesting character arc in this season. He starts out as some funny, spoiled rich kid and ends up becoming a truly fleshed-out, conflicted, yet interesting individual.

Not to mention the crap he's had to deal with. He get's kidnapped by a bunch of thugs. He get's cut off by his dad. He finds out that his best friend is a murderous vigilante and has been lying to him. He leaves Laurel so that she can be with Oliver. Just when he goes to fight for Laurel, per Ollie's advice, he finds Oliver and Laurel making out. He finds out that his dad is a murderous psychopath hellbent on leveling the Glades to avenge his wife's death. He's gotten the short end of the stick on just about anything and everything you can think of.

He even goes to save Laurel, someone who screwed him over, by lifting fallen debris to ensure her safety. And what does he get? A bunch of debris falling on him and impalement through the chest. You can't get any lower than that.

And yet, through that one simple action, he proved who he truly was. By that one simple act, he proved he wasn't like his father, hellbent on mass genocide to avenge his dead wife. By losing everything, in the end, he gained purpose. By being brought to his lowest point, he showed who he truly was in the end: a hero.

And that's what being a hero is all about.You don't always get the fame, the fortune, the glory and the girl. Sometimes, you have to sacrifice your own interests and wants for the good and benefit of others, even when the world does you no favors and leaves you in the dust. Sometimes, he even has to bear his burden, right up until his last breath.

At least, in the end, he doesn't always have to bear it alone.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZDJWUk7kYQ
[YT]eZDJWUk7kYQ[/YT]

I'm going to miss Colin Donnell. He was great in the last batch of episodes. Even so, Tommy was the one person almost no one had beef with.

I'm gonna miss Colin,too.Maybe there'll be a spot for him in SHIELD.Pick up the phone Joss!:argh:

If there's a The Question movie, he gotta be Vic Sage!!!

I'm not sure if it was just me, let alone if it was intentional on the creators end, but Tommy came out looking like the better guy overall near the end of the season.

I think it was intentional. They said 2 things, they wanted us to be sad about who died and they wanted the death to effect every character. If it was Laurel or Thea people would be "thank god she's gone", Roy isn't important enough. And Digg/Felicity would only really effect Oliver and the other one.

This way everyone lost someone dear to them and the audience was in tears. Think they made him that way for a reason.

I was sad to see Tommy die but I prefer him going out a hero than having a personality 180 and taking up the Dark Archer mantle.

I can appreciate that Tommy can still return via flashback,but really,what can they do with him there?Show he and Ollie in their full "party boy" phase?There's not much to mine there,I don't think.

I can appreciate that Tommy can still return via flashback,but really,what can they do with him there?Show he and Ollie in their full "party boy" phase?There's not much to mine there,I don't think.

I think we might see him with other characters. They said his death will have a big impact on people like Thea who we only saw him interact with a few times but they were like brother and sister. Could have been things we haven't seen yet. He grew up in Moira's house and she's going to have his death on her conscience. So maybe we'll see a few things there. We might be seeing him with Malcolm in flashbacks too. I'll wait to see what they do before I judge.

A really good character. Did not expect him to be so well written. Just a silly bud of Ollie. But no. He had depth. And I have to add, big Kudos to the writers for..

killing him off in and in a really heroic way. Did not see that coming. And not going the 'he's the next dark archer' route.

Yeah. I was surprised with what they did.

And, was kinda sad about it too. I mean, he had a pretty good character arc. I didn't really like him at first, but he won me over. Just thinking about how far he came from the pilot episode, and just how he matured, was pretty impressive.

But, I guess this was as far as they could go with him. He certainly was never going to be a part of Ollie's crew, because he could never get past the killing. And he sure as **** wouldn't have been able to fall in line with his dad, again the killing is probably what would end the conversation with him along with his dad clearly being out of his damn mind. So, I guess it makes sense to see what they decided to do.

along with his dad clearly being out of his damn mind.

Malcolm was righteous lol! I'd do exactly the same thing if they killed my wife and I could get an Earthquake device :woot:. Poor Rebecca. That voicemail had me tear up :(

"After you've finished with your Jihad, wanna go get some steaks" was the best line of the finale. That or "a soldier never lets a brother go into battle alone".

All laurel's fault for not listening to Ollie and stay out of the glades...

So many goddamn feels. Honestly, I almost got teary eyed again, when Tommy told him to get up.

p6csuIa.gif
VtMb41i.gif

5mNzTpx.gif
BJOH2gG.gif

S7iB9ng.gif
7MI2NE0.gif

HyjrU5h.gif
s9ETjHM.gif

mtp7Ln2.gif
BguQzoj.gif

I think this may be how they will use Tommy as a hallucination ghost or in flashbacks.

That alone just makes me want an Episode, where Ollie dreams what it would have been like, had he never become the vigilante.

It was great seeing Tommy show up to give Ollie a Mickey-like speech to spur on Ollie's Rocky Balboa style comeback! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"