The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

Shifty said:
Deals with intellectual property laws as NBC owned his show. Letterman became the competition and left a hole in their programing so they weren't going to make it easy for him but the Late Show found ways around it.

The World's Most Dangerous Band became the CBS Orchestra, etc.
I see.

If Conan decides to leave, hopefully the people at NBC don't screw him over since he's been loyal to the network.

Maybe the only good thing to come out of this mess will Jeff Zucker being fired (his mess) but with his luck he'll get a bonus for saving NBC money or something.

Last Call has a bare bones budget I wonder if it will find a home at NBC Universal's USA Network.

Let's all sit back and enjoy what may be Conan's final months as host of the Tonight Show.

Let's all sit back and enjoy what may be Conan's final months as host of the Tonight Show.

Troll job or are you anticipating Conan getting a better gig at a rival network?

Why don't people like Conan...such a shame...

Jackie has to know "The Spy next Door " is utter crap( Billie Ray Cyrus? wth?)
but he gets the money so he can star in movies like "The Shinjuku Incident" overseas.

All I've got to say about Emily Blunt is:

John Krasinski = Lucky Bastard

I didn't know she was British.

It like doubles her hotness.

All I've got to say about Emily Blunt is:

John Krasinski = Lucky Bastard

What's weird was that to me she looked liked she had some John Krasinski mannerisms.

I guess the saying of "If you date someone long enough you pick up their traits" isn't such a stretch.

Nikki Finke is reporting on the situation:

On tonight's monologue, Jay Leno sounds angry and upset, even going so far to say he has "trust" issues with NBC right now. Which indicates that Leno and his reps are fighting NBC's attempts to cancel The Jay Leno Show at 10 PM primetime Monday through Friday. That would violate his 5-year contract in which the network gave his show a 2-year iron-clad commitment. But NBC doesn't want to absorb the penalty -- "it's just too big" -- so their solution is to find a place for Jay in late night. But, wait -- wouldn't Leno like NBC's idea to return him to the 11:35 PM time slot he called home from 1992-2009? Not so much if it's an abbreviated half-hour that's just a lead-in to Conan. That's right, TMZ's report today was wrong: I'm telling you that Leno is not being offered The Tonight Show.

The fact is O'Brien doesn't want to give up The Tonight Show, and NBC won't dare make him because that incurs its own costly penalty. On the other hand NBC also recognizes that Jay's monologues are a big draw and thinks having that first half-hour back will help trounce ABC's Nightline which has gained strength ever since O'Brien took over The Tonight Show. NBC may act like this sked change is a slam dunk, but I'm told "Conan hasn't agreed to anything yet, especially not to push back to 12:05 AM." NBC has the contractual right to start The Tonight Show as late as 12:05 AM, which the network sometimes does for sports or news. So if NBC gives Jay Leno back the 11:35 PM slot, and calls it The Jay Leno Show, and keeps Conan on The Tonight Show, the network incurs no penalties either way.

Yet NBC Universal chairman Jeff Zucker already deemed O'Brien was the future of the network's late night and Leno was the past. Yet here is Leno back again aftr failing in primetime. Jay had 18 months to transform his Tonight Show from a critical and ratings disaster into #1 in late night. Conan has only had 7 months. Now he's being humiliated with a later start time just the same. So NBC's waffling startements today start to make sense as both hosts and their reps fight a behind-the-scenes turf war with the network.
So basically it sounds like NBC is more annoyed with Leno and Conan isn't going to just simply take it.

The Hugh Grant Sex Scandal is what put Leno over Letterman all those years ago.

The problem seems to be the local news, NBC's dramas weren't solid in the ratings either. If they had done a good job and established themselves as the news broadcast to watch then there shouldn't be a problem. As watching the NBC affiliate woud've become a viewing habit just like watching Leno at 1130 and Conan at 1230. ABC has been beaten by Leno or puts up similar numbers on certain nights where is the outcry by them?

But looks like NBC has pissed off both Jay and Conan and this new lineup will last at least until June/Sept 2011 when Jay's contract allows the show to be canceled without a penalty and Conan can be canceled without a penalty.

I don't see them cancelling the Tonight Show, it's a staple of NBC like Saturday Night Live

Conan's show is still good. His ratings have slipped for two reasons. One is Stephen Colbert. The man has been an institution at 11:30pm for a few years now. The other is that old people chose David Letterman over him. Simple as that. However, online, Conan does very well. Hulu recently named the show one of the 15 most-watched for 2009.

Can't wait to see what Conan will say about the Leno situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"